HF-5 v. DBA-02
Mar 29, 2011 at 5:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

DCofficehack

100+ Head-Fier
Largely for budget reasons I'm inclined to buy Ety HF-5s rather than what I had my eyes on, DBA-02s.  And, by the way, the price of DBA-02s just went up to $180 on ebay. Both seem to be good for classical, which is my primary requirement.

Question: what precisely would I be sacrificing by saving the roughly $60-70 dollars and going for the HF-5s?

Mar 29, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #2 of 15
From My understanding the HF-5' are good, You should also look at the Fischer Audio FA003, there about $150.-$200. range check the review's also take a look at the Shure SRH840's make Your comparison's and see what will best fit You. 
atsmile.gif

Mar 29, 2011 at 8:53 PM Post #3 of 15

Quote:
Largely for budget reasons I'm inclined to buy Ety HF-5s rather than what I had my eyes on, DBA-02s.  And, by the way, the price of DBA-02s just went up to $180 on ebay. Both seem to be good for classical, which is my primary requirement.

Question: what precisely would I be sacrificing by saving the roughly $60-70 dollars and going for the HF-5s?

DBA02 are still on sale for $168 USD from MusicaAcoustics.com with free shipping worldwide

Mar 29, 2011 at 9:09 PM Post #4 of 15
Thanks, although I'm looking for IEMs. If I were looking for full sized headphones, the FA003 would definitely be at the top of my list. I've actually thought about buying the FA003 and keeping one pair of cans at home and another at work (my 448s), but then I realize that what I need is something portable that I can drag everywhere in my bag without taking up space.

Quote:
From My understanding the HF-5' are good, You should also look at the Fischer Audio FA003, there about $150.-$200. range check the review's also take a look at the Shure SRH840's make Your comparison's and see what will best fit You. 
atsmile.gif

Mar 30, 2011 at 4:19 AM Post #9 of 15
I don't know why I threw the Shure's in there, slippage last night, overload, sometime's I throw to much out there, last night was the case! I think the Fischer's would be a nice choice for You. Weigh the option's and go for the best fit and overall sound for You.

Mar 30, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #10 of 15
Haven't heard the HF5 but compared to the ER4S the DBA has a fuller body and more natural roundness to the sound, assuming you get a good fit.  I also find the clarity and detail to be superior.  Others might prefer the ER4s and CK10 low end extension and better texturing.  The DBA is also more aggressive which for things like rock and metal work out much better.  Better attack and punch.

Mar 30, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #11 of 15
If You do go with the Fischer, Audio Base is one site (authorised dealer) that carrie's them for $167..  Also take a good look into Anaxilus comparison's, and form an opinion from there.

Mar 30, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #12 of 15
Thanks. I'll look for Anaxilus.  That DBA-02 thread has gotten so big that it's become almost useless. I suspect that it's easier if I can search for a specific poster within the thread.

Mar 30, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #14 of 15

Quote:
You can try looking into the Brainwavz B2's, they were only $120 a few days ago if you preorder them and they're supposed to be the same as the DBA02's.

Until someone posts a review comparing the two, we can't just assume due to the oem manufacturers' looks that these sound identical.  I am hoping this is true but still waiting for someone to due a true comparison between the two.

Mar 30, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #15 of 15
They may or may not be identical but they still got a high mark from Joker and they will at least definitely be closerto the same if not so with the cable change. The $120 was only for the first few ordered. There's a $10 coupon available for previous customers and otherwise they're $140 until in stock. Still a great price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back