HF-5 v. DBA-02
post-7371187
Thread Starter
Post #1 of 15

DCofficehack

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 27, 2009
Messages
370
Reaction score
59
Joined
Dec 27, 2009
Posts
370
Likes
59
Largely for budget reasons I'm inclined to buy Ety HF-5s rather than what I had my eyes on, DBA-02s.  And, by the way, the price of DBA-02s just went up to $180 on ebay. Both seem to be good for classical, which is my primary requirement.
 
Question: what precisely would I be sacrificing by saving the roughly $60-70 dollars and going for the HF-5s?
 
     Share This Post       
post-7371470
Post #2 of 15

Frankie K

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 7, 2011
Messages
647
Reaction score
14
Joined
Mar 7, 2011
Posts
647
Likes
14
From My understanding the HF-5' are good, You should also look at the Fischer Audio FA003, there about $150.-$200. range check the review's also take a look at the Shure SRH840's make Your comparison's and see what will best fit You. 

 
     Share This Post       
post-7371533
Post #3 of 15

yello131

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 29, 2009
Messages
1,218
Reaction score
21
Joined
Oct 29, 2009
Posts
1,218
Likes
21


Quote:
Largely for budget reasons I'm inclined to buy Ety HF-5s rather than what I had my eyes on, DBA-02s.  And, by the way, the price of DBA-02s just went up to $180 on ebay. Both seem to be good for classical, which is my primary requirement.
 
Question: what precisely would I be sacrificing by saving the roughly $60-70 dollars and going for the HF-5s?

DBA02 are still on sale for $168 USD from MusicaAcoustics.com with free shipping worldwide
 
 
 
     Share This Post       
post-7371566
Post #4 of 15

DCofficehack

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 27, 2009
Messages
370
Reaction score
59
Joined
Dec 27, 2009
Posts
370
Likes
59
Thanks, although I'm looking for IEMs. If I were looking for full sized headphones, the FA003 would definitely be at the top of my list. I've actually thought about buying the FA003 and keeping one pair of cans at home and another at work (my 448s), but then I realize that what I need is something portable that I can drag everywhere in my bag without taking up space.
 
Quote:
From My understanding the HF-5' are good, You should also look at the Fischer Audio FA003, there about $150.-$200. range check the review's also take a look at the Shure SRH840's make Your comparison's and see what will best fit You. 


 
 
     Share This Post       
post-7371569
Post #5 of 15

DCofficehack

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 27, 2009
Messages
370
Reaction score
59
Joined
Dec 27, 2009
Posts
370
Likes
59


Quote:
DBA02 are still on sale for $168 USD from MusicaAcoustics.com with free shipping worldwide
 
 


Ooh, that's nice. The free shipping helps. Thanks for the head's up. My question remains valid, however.
 
     Share This Post       
post-7371574
Post #6 of 15

Frankie K

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 7, 2011
Messages
647
Reaction score
14
Joined
Mar 7, 2011
Posts
647
Likes
14
Yeah I thought that but figured I give You something else to consider.
 
     Share This Post       
post-7371605
Post #7 of 15

DCofficehack

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 27, 2009
Messages
370
Reaction score
59
Joined
Dec 27, 2009
Posts
370
Likes
59

Always appreciated!  And they are good suggestions. I don't know about the Shure, but the reviews of the FA003 are impressive.
Quote:
Yeah I thought that but figured I give You something else to consider.


 
 
     Share This Post       
post-7371619
Post #8 of 15

yello131

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 29, 2009
Messages
1,218
Reaction score
21
Joined
Oct 29, 2009
Posts
1,218
Likes
21


Quote:
Always appreciated!  And they are good suggestions. I don't know about the Shure, but the reviews of the FA003 are impressive.


 

FA003 are quite amazing for what they worth. I got  mine a while back  from musica Acoustics  for $199 with shipping.
 
 
     Share This Post       
post-7372238
Post #9 of 15

Frankie K

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 7, 2011
Messages
647
Reaction score
14
Joined
Mar 7, 2011
Posts
647
Likes
14
I don't know why I threw the Shure's in there, slippage last night, overload, sometime's I throw to much out there, last night was the case! I think the Fischer's would be a nice choice for You. Weigh the option's and go for the best fit and overall sound for You.
 
     Share This Post       
post-7372868
Post #10 of 15

Anaxilus

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 12, 2010
Messages
12,065
Reaction score
336
Joined
Mar 12, 2010
Posts
12,065
Likes
336
Haven't heard the HF5 but compared to the ER4S the DBA has a fuller body and more natural roundness to the sound, assuming you get a good fit.  I also find the clarity and detail to be superior.  Others might prefer the ER4s and CK10 low end extension and better texturing.  The DBA is also more aggressive which for things like rock and metal work out much better.  Better attack and punch.
 
     Share This Post       
post-7372985
Post #11 of 15

Frankie K

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 7, 2011
Messages
647
Reaction score
14
Joined
Mar 7, 2011
Posts
647
Likes
14
If You do go with the Fischer, Audio Base is one site (authorised dealer) that carrie's them for $167..  Also take a good look into Anaxilus comparison's, and form an opinion from there.
 
     Share This Post       
post-7373069
Post #12 of 15

DCofficehack

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 27, 2009
Messages
370
Reaction score
59
Joined
Dec 27, 2009
Posts
370
Likes
59
Thanks. I'll look for Anaxilus.  That DBA-02 thread has gotten so big that it's become almost useless. I suspect that it's easier if I can search for a specific poster within the thread.
 
     Share This Post       
post-7373278
Post #13 of 15

sari0n

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 26, 2010
Messages
469
Reaction score
20
Joined
Dec 26, 2010
Posts
469
Likes
20
You can try looking into the Brainwavz B2's, they were only $120 a few days ago if you preorder them and they're supposed to be the same as the DBA02's.
 
     Share This Post       
post-7373376
Post #14 of 15

Enanthate

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 22, 2010
Messages
152
Reaction score
11
Joined
Jan 22, 2010
Posts
152
Likes
11


Quote:
You can try looking into the Brainwavz B2's, they were only $120 a few days ago if you preorder them and they're supposed to be the same as the DBA02's.


Until someone posts a review comparing the two, we can't just assume due to the oem manufacturers' looks that these sound identical.  I am hoping this is true but still waiting for someone to due a true comparison between the two.
 
     Share This Post       
post-7373637
Post #15 of 15

goodvibes

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 28, 2009
Messages
8,491
Reaction score
846
Joined
Dec 28, 2009
Posts
8,491
Likes
846
They may or may not be identical but they still got a high mark from Joker and they will at least definitely be closerto the same if not so with the cable change. The $120 was only for the first few ordered. There's a $10 coupon available for previous customers and otherwise they're $140 until in stock. Still a great price.
 
     Share This Post       

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top