HF-2
Sep 10, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #1,006 of 1,149
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoYouRight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HF-1 had a few "goodies" that were documents, the HF-2 came with nothing :p

The HF-1 also came with the adapter... but the HF-2 gives us the RS-1 padded headband, the aluminum and a nice beefy cable.

Sep 10, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #1,007 of 1,149
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HF2 is indeed an amazing piece of gear but too bad it's on the less comfortable side of things even after pad washing and headband bending. I can only wear it for 2 to 3 hours unlike my previous D2000 which could stay on top of my head for the whole day.

If only there is a way to rectify this situation... I'm thinking of installing the JMoney headband on this. Would it be possible? Any other Grado users with JMoney lambskin headband can share their views on this matter?

I've got the Jmoney pads on my HF-1 and HF-2. By the nature of it's length and rigidness it prevents some head clamping, (of course you can achieve this with a little manual bending, regardless). JMoney pads are about a third wider than stock and about 1/4" more padding on the inside. Comfort-wise, I wouldn't say it is a profound difference, but notable and welcome, (not negligible by any means).

At first I considered the price a bit high for a headband replacement, but after receiving the first one, I found the quality to be outstanding. Plus, there's the added benefit of an aesthetics upgrade. It really "classes" up the Grados, (if you find any value in that). I liked it so much I put the black one on the HF-2 and ordered a dark-brown one for the HF-1.

I'd hate to think that my endorsement lead anyone to believe that this is a "must have" item. It's not. But I doubt you'd find any reason not to like it once it's installed.

BTW if you're still interested: Arrival after order was, if I can remember right, about 3-5 days on both orders, maybe a week. No complaints on communications or transactions with JMoney. Straight up service and again, top-quality construction.

Sep 11, 2009 at 12:45 AM Post #1,008 of 1,149
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drumonron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HF-1 also came with the adapter... but the HF-2 gives us the RS-1 padded headband, the aluminum and a nice beefy cable.

The HF-1 came with nothing but itself, or at least mine did. I don't know what you're talking about. I think the HF-1's cable is better... smoother surface, more flexible, longer, but the overall quality of the HF-2 is much better. I love the leather headband and aluminum enclosures. Most of all, I just really love the sound. I think it's an outstanding product.

Sep 11, 2009 at 2:02 AM Post #1,009 of 1,149
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HF-1 came with nothing but itself, or at least mine did. I don't know what you're talking about. I think the HF-1's cable is better... smoother surface, more flexible, longer, but the overall quality of the HF-2 is much better. I love the leather headband and aluminum enclosures. Most of all, I just really love the sound. I think it's an outstanding product.

I'm sorry your HF-1 did not come with the 1/4" to mini adapter, I purchased it from the original owner and he included what I assume it came with...the cable is a matter of preference I guess but I'm still burnin in...I'd agree with you on one item...the sound....really good.

Sep 11, 2009 at 4:51 AM Post #1,010 of 1,149
Id love a Grado adapter with the new Fat cable.

Sep 11, 2009 at 8:19 AM Post #1,011 of 1,149
Quote:

Originally Posted by Budley007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got the Jmoney pads on my HF-1 and HF-2. By the nature of it's length and rigidness it prevents some head clamping, (of course you can achieve this with a little manual bending, regardless). JMoney pads are about a third wider than stock and about 1/4" more padding on the inside. Comfort-wise, I wouldn't say it is a profound difference, but notable and welcome, (not negligible by any means).

At first I considered the price a bit high for a headband replacement, but after receiving the first one, I found the quality to be outstanding. Plus, there's the added benefit of an aesthetics upgrade. It really "classes" up the Grados, (if you find any value in that). I liked it so much I put the black one on the HF-2 and ordered a dark-brown one for the HF-1.

I'd hate to think that my endorsement lead anyone to believe that this is a "must have" item. It's not. But I doubt you'd find any reason not to like it once it's installed.

BTW if you're still interested: Arrival after order was, if I can remember right, about 3-5 days on both orders, maybe a week. No complaints on communications or transactions with JMoney. Straight up service and again, top-quality construction.

Is there any instructions to 'properly' bend the headband? I've tried bending it and it's definitely a lot more comfortable than when it was brand new but perhaps I was not rough enough with it.

What I did was merely flattening the headband so the arc was less roundish ergo less clamping force on the sides. Is this the proper way to go about it?

Sep 11, 2009 at 1:13 PM Post #1,013 of 1,149
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there any instructions to 'properly' bend the headband? I've tried bending it and it's definitely a lot more comfortable than when it was brand new but perhaps I was not rough enough with it.

What I did was merely flattening the headband so the arc was less roundish ergo less clamping force on the sides. Is this the proper way to go about it?

With comfort being the priority, I wouldn't worry so much about the shape of the band. Just so the pads remain even and flat over the ears is where my main concern would lie. Of course you could end up with something that looks a little wonky or slips off your head, but it's by no means a "one shot" permanent mod. Adjust to taste. Modding aside, I've had great success with wearing a ball cap to relieve clamping.

Sep 11, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #1,014 of 1,149
My friend commented today on how red my ears were. I told him I listened to about 6 hours on my HF-2's last night. Now I know it's not just in my head that these are uncomfortable. According to this picture my Antihelix is the part rubbing on the driver. And seeing as it is cartilage, it is not fun for extended listening.

Sep 11, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #1,015 of 1,149
Quote:

Originally Posted by ABathingApe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My friend commented today on how red my ears were. I told him I listened to about 6 hours on my HF-2's last night. Now I know it's not just in my head that these are uncomfortable. According to this picture my Antihelix is the part rubbing on the driver. And seeing as it is cartilage, it is not fun for extended listening.

Have you washed those Bowls within an inch of their lives?

Sep 11, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #1,016 of 1,149
Quote:

Don't want to play the badmouth and bash for fun but apparently it's a company who is not that much concerned by quality... as a result comfort is the least of their concern. But at least they are focused on what really matter, sound !

Sep 11, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #1,017 of 1,149
Quote:

Wow, judging by the image...your resting the back edge of the foam on the Antihelix?...my foam rests back further and actual is almost circumaural...perhaps my ears are smaller or do you move them up that far for an appreciation/improvement in sound/bass/tone?

I'm not sure how the HF-2s sound with Grado Flats from Todd but man are those comfy on the RS-1s.

Sep 11, 2009 at 8:52 PM Post #1,018 of 1,149
10 years from now, Luxman and Weitzenberg is going to have a field day with these once they run out of mesothelioma cases to prosecute...

Sep 11, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #1,019 of 1,149
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
10 years from now, Luxman and Weitzenberg is going to have a field day with these once they run out of mesothelioma cases to prosecute...

Heh!

Yeah, who knows what that black sludge is that washes out of those things!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back