HF-2
Sep 9, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #991 of 1,149
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoYouRight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thats what I thought about the big pads. Ill just try to stop wearing my other cans who are mad comfy. Ill forget -_-

One thing that I found helped was to shorten the length of the poles - i.e. have the cups up closer to the headband, and wear them with the headband angling backwards towards my bald spot. For some reason that just seated them better and put less pressure on my ears.

I've also washed the bowls out, which didn't help as much as I hoped it would, but softened them up some.

Sep 10, 2009 at 12:14 AM Post #992 of 1,149
Listening to my Rodrigo Y Gabriela Pandora channel on my Macbook. Optical out to my D10 to my HF2's. Absolutely perfect match with Latin guitar, really liked one of the Ottmar Liebert tracks.

And yes, I ordered the new 11:11 album. Only $7.99 for the CD on Amazon today, not sure why it's so cheap.

Switched back to my Senn 414 pads, the stock ones were wearing me out.

Sep 10, 2009 at 9:10 AM Post #993 of 1,149
Well I just got my HF-2's yesterday. Burned in about 6 hours now. 2 hours on Call of Duty out of the box, and I must say the positioning is excellent. Then 4 hours of music. The one thing that gets to me is comfort. The clamping force is more than I am used to, and the drivers rub right against my ears. I much prefer the circumaural comfort of my SRH840's...
frown.gif

Sep 10, 2009 at 1:55 PM Post #995 of 1,149
Quote:

Originally Posted by ABathingApe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I just got my HF-2's yesterday. Burned in about 6 hours now. 2 hours on Call of Duty out of the box, and I must say the positioning is excellent. Then 4 hours of music. The one thing that gets to me is comfort. The clamping force is more than I am used to, and the drivers rub right against my ears. I much prefer the circumaural comfort of my SRH840's...
frown.gif

Again we see this issue that has been covered many times with Grados in the past. On stock the clamping force is VERY tight, for packaging purposes I think. HOWEVER, Grado has made the headband bendable and you can bend it looser so it will not squeeze your ears. Normal Grados even come with a paper which recommends the bending of headband for more comfort. I dont remember if my HF2 came with one, didnt pay much attention to that detail when unpacking.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 10, 2009 at 2:51 PM Post #996 of 1,149
The HF-1 had a few "goodies" that were documents, the HF-2 came with nothing :p

Sep 10, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #997 of 1,149
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoYouRight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HF-1 had a few "goodies" that were documents, the HF-2 came with nothing :p

I guess Grado thought that everyone who bought HF1 opened the package quickly and throwed all papers aside screaming "ZOMG ITS TEH HF1!!!!", so with HF2 they probaply thought that why even bother...
biggrin.gif
And in my case they were right, possible documents were last of my concerns once I finally had those HF2 in my shaking hands.

Sep 10, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #998 of 1,149
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
when did you order?

I ordered on 7/04/09, order #6041.

The HF-2s are really a treat. I'm very happy and impressed with the ability of this headphone to resolve details clearly without treble fatigue. It is amazing how different this headphone is compared to the HF-1 and the RS-1. Is it better? Well, that is a question that is only answered by what I'm after at any given moment, It is a different presentation altogether than the RS-1, the RS-1 is warmer and more intimate but the HF-1 wins in it's ability to give the minute details and present them in spades without being harsh...very nice and detailed bass, too. Keep in mind the HF-2s have about 20 hrs burnin. I'm loving the build quality of the HF-2s...nice RS-1 type padded headband and the aluminum is wonderfully rich looking. I really feel like I own a very special headphone, here....it brings things to my ears that the RS-1 simply cannot and that is exactly what I was looking for(along with the collectibility and contribution to head-fi). No buyer regrets here and I'm so happy to have the HF-1 and HF-2s in my collection...The HF-1s just arrived and do not want to comment yet...too early.

Sep 10, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #999 of 1,149
The HF2 is indeed an amazing piece of gear but too bad it's on the less comfortable side of things even after pad washing and headband bending. I can only wear it for 2 to 3 hours unlike my previous D2000 which could stay on top of my head for the whole day.

If only there is a way to rectify this situation... I'm thinking of installing the JMoney headband on this. Would it be possible? Any other Grado users with JMoney lambskin headband can share their views on this matter?

Sep 10, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #1,000 of 1,149
Covenant could you elaborate more on the angling you mean? Like the band a little further back then center? I usually have my band a little more forward from center so the opposite direction?

Sep 10, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #1,001 of 1,149
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Again we see this issue that has been covered many times with Grados in the past. On stock the clamping force is VERY tight, for packaging purposes I think. HOWEVER, Grado has made the headband bendable and you can bend it looser so it will not squeeze your ears. Normal Grados even come with a paper which recommends the bending of headband for more comfort. I dont remember if my HF2 came with one, didnt pay much attention to that detail when unpacking.
smily_headphones1.gif

I think the comfort issue is a result of the mesh of the driver housing rubbing against the ear with the stock bowl pads, not the clamping pressure. The reason I say this is when swapping the stock pads with for the GS-1000 bagels the comfort issue is completely resolved, but the clamping pressure is the same with both bowls and bagels. BTW, I really like the HF2's even if they are uncomfortable as hell with the stock bowls. I also prefer the stock bowls to the GS-1000 bagels for most of the music I listen to. Using the bagels shrinks the bass too much and makes them a little brighter than I prefer (two of the things I didn't care for about the GS-1000).

Sep 10, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #1,002 of 1,149
No comfort issue at all with mine - perfectly comfortable and can wear for hours on end without even noticing I have them on. No issues at all for that matter with the HF 2's.

Sep 10, 2009 at 8:59 PM Post #1,004 of 1,149
Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinR70 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the comfort issue is a result of the mesh of the driver housing rubbing against the ear with the stock bowl pads, not the clamping pressure. The reason I say this is when swapping the stock pads with for the GS-1000 bagels the comfort issue is completely resolved, but the clamping pressure is the same with both bowls and bagels. BTW, I really like the HF2's even if they are uncomfortable as hell with the stock bowls. I also prefer the stock bowls to the GS-1000 bagels for most of the music I listen to. Using the bagels shrinks the bass too much and makes them a little brighter than I prefer (two of the things I didn't care for about the GS-1000).

Dead on. We have to figure out how to mod the GS1000 bowls to bring them back to the Bowl sound.

EDIT: Let me redo this. The issue for me is the Bowl sitting on top of the ear instead of around it. Then combine that with the pads feeling like sand paper and there you go, PAIN

Sep 10, 2009 at 9:02 PM Post #1,005 of 1,149
Are you guys saying that the white material covering the grills of the driver is rubbing aginst your ear? Are you using flats, or the bowls that came with it? I've not experienced that material rubbing my ear lobes if the aforementioned is the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back