HF-2
Jul 7, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #61 of 1,149
Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
John has graciously volunteered to send an additional $10 to Head-Fi for each HF-2 sold which could mean up to as much as $5000 additional funds for Head-Fi!

This is a nice gesture but I'd rather see Grado spend the money on improving quality control first;

- Labeling: As in the case of the HF-2s, shouldn't as standard operating procedure multiple people proof-read the labeling before a production run is started? Not noticing a misspelling is NOT proof-reading.
- Nicks: In the case of nicks in the aluminum enclosures of pricey PS-1000's, perhaps they could buy containers that better protect them during the manufacturing process. Something better than cardboard boxes: Grado Labs Facility Tour [audiojunkies]
- Gluing: The sloppy gluing could certainly be addressed with a simple process or training change?

IMHO, seems all the above issues could be addressed relatively inexpensively.
Overall it shows a lack of attention to a level of detail that is expected by most consumers when buying a premium product at premium prices.

After recently receiving a pair of plastic-intensive HD800's, I appreciate the idea of US-made headphones constructed of aluminum, wood and leather.

Jul 7, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #62 of 1,149
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seba /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm weak, ordered my pair 30mins ago from TTVJ...
redface.gif

I did the same. I had been waiting -- not sure for what, but this was it. I figure that if there are only 500, I want to be in line. And if they run out by 7/31, it will be the fault of fate, not me, and I will have 450 "free" dollars to apply to something else. Now if somebody would just misspell qualia.

Jul 7, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #63 of 1,149
Maybe limiting the run to 500 is a way keep QC up without having to rush to fill so many orders? Note that the end-of-line announcement and the error announcement arrived together. Just speculation.

I'm sure Todd and Grado will take care of any serious QC issues on individual phones should a few slip through the cracks (this typo is definitely not serious).

Jul 7, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #64 of 1,149
Hi All,

Just want to clear a few things up here. Both John and I feel bad about this. What I wrote was not a take it or leave it proposition - at least not with an attitude. I gave everyone the opportunity to cancel their orders - or keep them and get a headphone that is underpriced for its performance and was GIVEN to this community out of friendship.

A few have questioned our integrity and I will not even bother addressing that. Anyone who knows John Grado or me personally or have done business with us knows better.

To those of you who canceled your orders - I have no hard feelings and hope you do not either. To those of you who have kept your orders ( the vast majority) I say Thank you!!!

As for the $10 - it is going to Head-Fi and so it is being given back to the customers - just indirectly. Every one who ordered one is a member here and will benefit from the sale by being able to be part of this community. The $10 is from John Grado and TTVJ has nothing to do with that donation.

I am grateful to all those who are participating in this event and look forward to serving you and reading your impressions.

Todd

Jul 7, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #65 of 1,149
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teraflame /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why is more money going to head-fi instead of doing something for the customers?

Cost analysis. Replacing the enclosures would be relatively costly I presume, and a $10 discount on $430 phones doesn't make sense either.

EDIT - Todd sort of answered this above

Jul 7, 2009 at 7:51 PM Post #66 of 1,149
Quote:

Originally Posted by omegaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not to impressed with the outcome, I thought the mistake would be corrected and everyone would be happy.

I'm not sure what to do, I really want to hear the HF2 but I'm not impressed with the take it or leave it attitude either.

Any other product I would cancel my order but with these limited to 500, It's a tough call.

Todd, at risk of quoting myself, I know you didn't mean it with attitude ( I've dealt with you in the past and know better ) and that's not what I meant either. I was just trying to say that there was no over options i.e wait longer for the correct cups.

Anyway after thinking for an hour, I just can't let this offer pass so I have confirmed my order. Cheers

Jul 7, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #67 of 1,149
Hi Omegaman,

Thank you for the response. One of the toughest things to do is communicate emotion in writing. I have appreciated your business and hope to serve you well now and in the future. And thanks for sticking with the HF-2 order!

Todd

Jul 7, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #68 of 1,149
I have trouble listening to my HF-2s when Head-Fi is open in my browser.

I keep hearing a high-pitched whine.

Such a shame because these are excellent headphones.

Jul 7, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #69 of 1,149
Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
a headphone that is underpriced for its performance and was GIVEN to this community out of friendship.

Knowing this (it should be obvious), it's appalling that people are canceling orders "on principle" because Grado won't completely redo a custom short production run. I mean, if you just don't want it, fine, but geeze people.

Quote:

Originally Posted by USAudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems all the above issues could be addressed relatively inexpensively.

At the production scale Grado has, not likely. Large companies like Sennheiser can afford to implement proper SQC measures will do absolutely improve product quality. With smaller operations, it always comes down to an individual worker's attention to detail, and if one person has a bad day, the quality will suffer. Looking at several RS1 bands, you see very nice examples of leather work, and others that look like cheap knock offs.

Jul 7, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #70 of 1,149
Thanks Todd and John for your efforts, and I do believe you guys are probably just as upset over the lettering issue as some of us are. I would hope that many of us would realize that this is a special gift to our community, and while it is safe to assume you wouldn't do it if you weren't making some money on it, but the fact that John is so willing to make a special edition headphone that owners would purchase over the other grado series line speaks volumes of his and your generosity with your time and efforts. Cheers.

Jul 7, 2009 at 8:17 PM Post #71 of 1,149
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have trouble listening to my HF-2s when Head-Fi is open in my browser.

I keep hearing a high-pitched whine.

Such a shame because these are excellent headphones.

I hear ya... The HF-1s currently on my head are feeling the same pain. "Explosions in the Sky" is, appropriately, what I'm listening to. I think I'll follow this up with some "The Fiery Furnaces" and "The Flaming Lips."
tongue.gif

Jul 7, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #72 of 1,149
Well, like others have said, I'm definitely keeping my order. I appreciate the effort and thought behind it from Grado and TTVJ, despite the issue. But I understand that others feel strongly enough about the mistake to cancel their order. I don't think there's a wrong answer, and I think Todd giving people an opportunity to cancel is sufficient for those who haven't had their headphones ship yet. Having heard the HF-2, I can't imagine anyone who's received a pair wanting to send them back. However, if someone does want to send them back, I don't think that they should be on the hook for return shipping because the first batch did not match expectations based on the initial batch which was widely photographed at CanJam. Maybe Grado can forgo the $10 donation for those wanting to return them from the first F1 batch and use that to take care of return shipping. Just my $0.02.

I'm definitely looking forward to receiving my pair!

Jul 7, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #73 of 1,149
Damn it, my tracking number still shows "Acceptance" after 3 almost 4 days since it was shipped (Friday 3)...

It said 6-10 days, but at this rate I don't see the package moving...

Jul 7, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #75 of 1,149
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullseye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Damn it, my tracking number still shows "Acceptance" after 3 almost 4 days since it was shipped (Friday 3)...

It said 6-10 days, but at this rate I don't see the package moving...

It will probably continue to say "Acceptance" after you receive them. Also, I doubt much moved out of the US this holiday weekend, so chill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back