HF-2
Aug 28, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #901 of 1,149
Besides, you don't know whether finishing the inside of the cups would cause undesirable effects, acoustically.

I'm very, very impressed with the finish on these this time around. The leather headband is excellent, and the wood is a much higher quality and smoothed nicely.

I love mine so far. They're a unique product that will give me years of enjoyment, just like the previous HF-1's. Also, I can't see any part of them while they're on my head, anyway, and I doubt anyone else can.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 28, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #902 of 1,149
My first impressions.

It has a slight treble roll off. This makes it lack the sparkle that other Grados have, but it also makes it sound considerably warmer and more pleasing. Its a mixed bag if I like it or not. I guess I have to say that it is just different. Not better or worse.

Midrange is fantastic. Smooth and warm with some slight Grado trademark edge here and there. BUUUUT 110-310Hz region is bit boosted giving it rather thick sound. Reminds me of RS1 somewhat, but not as "woody" colored.

Bass. Quantity is good and its extension is incredibly good for open headphone! Even low notes have some authority! It is still bit boosted though and personally I would still prefer slightly tighter presentation overallbut it is good as it is. Perhaps burn in will settle it down, perhaps not. Still, it isnt a mudfest like SR225 with flats and bass details are still very audible.

I think most of the problems might come from opamp in my DAC. I use OPA627BP in my Keces to give it bit more meat cuz LME49710 upgrade was bit too thin and plasticky sounding for SR225 and SA5000. But now I think maybe OPA627 takes HF2 eenyweeny over the edge in lower midrange and bass thickness. I have to switch opamps and check.

*edit* Back to LME opamps. It certainly helped with treble roll off. The sparkle is back and bass is tightened too though punch is also lessened. There is still bit of thickness in the 110-310Hz region but thanks to brightened sound it doesnt bother anymore and is actually good for guitars! Now the problem is that SA5000 and SR225 do not have that good synergy with my KECES anymore. Too bright and thin.
frown.gif
This is a problem because I like all three headphones yet synergy matching is critical with all of them. What sounds good with HF2 does not work with SA5000 and vice versa. Damn...

Its amazing how mere opamp change can make turn the synergy matching upside down. Do I really have to have two sources for both headphones sound signatures? Changing opamps everytime I switch headphones is not really fun.

*edit2* Oh yeah, forgot to mention, my Head-Fone HF2 number is 335.

Aug 28, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #903 of 1,149
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You seriously expect them to spend time finishing the wood on the inside of the cup that you can only see if you shine a flashlight in the cup?

I don't expect it, I was just answering the question

Aug 28, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #904 of 1,149
For fun today i hooked my HF-2's up to my iTouch - really surprised me, rather good sound - by far the best can right out of my iTouch. Adding my ibasso didn't do anything - the gain was set to off as on was way to much, sq was pretty much the same as directly out of the iTouch . Really fun with no hassle, that might just simplify my bedside rig.

Aug 28, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #907 of 1,149
Quote:

Originally Posted by DiscHead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could someone please tell me which pads are referred to as "comfies"? Are they the original SR-60 pads, TTVJ flats or something else? Thanks.

Comfies are the original SR60 pads (now used in SR60i-125i), soft and flat and no hole. Very much like pads used in many portable headphones like PX100 or PortaPro. Flats and TTVJ Flats are pads that were used in all vintage Grados. Flat like comfies but thicker and harder material which doesnt really get squashed when worn, and has a hole in the middle.

Aug 28, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #909 of 1,149
As soon as my credit card gets cut off Todd has my cans ready to ship.
very_evil_smiley.gif

They thought some of my transactions were fraudulent so they cut me off, a little embarrassing having some woman in an Indian call centre asking you about a payment to a junkie!

All sorted now so noooo you can't have my HF-2's, I want them.
biggrin.gif

Aug 28, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #911 of 1,149
Quote:

Originally Posted by stvn758 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

They thought some of my transactions were fraudulent so they cut me off, a little embarrassing having some woman in an Indian call centre asking you about a payment to a junkie!

biggrin.gif

This sounds like a story. Care to share what she was asking about in detail and what you answered.

Junkie, LOL!
biggrin.gif

Aug 28, 2009 at 7:58 PM Post #912 of 1,149
Quote:

Originally Posted by stvn758 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

biggrin.gif

At least we're not dealing with DELL. I ordered a laptop from them, for which they tried to take payment today. Same thing as you, my bank rejected it as a security measure, and what did DELL do? Send me an email about it? Nope, order cancelled straight away, with no email to confirm that either. Muppets.

Aug 28, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #913 of 1,149
Quote:

Originally Posted by pedalhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Order Number: 6019
Date Ordered: Wed, Jul 01

Just got shipping notification
icon10.gif

Strange
Order Number 5889
Nothing happening
Already mailed to Todd ...

EDIT: Just got a mail: Your order shipped August 28th.

Aug 28, 2009 at 9:15 PM Post #915 of 1,149
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This sounds like a story. Care to share what she was asking about in detail and what you answered.

Junkie, LOL!
biggrin.gif

You have a payment authorised from a Todd the junkie, yes?
jecklinsmile.gif

They read off set questions these Indian call centre guys, so it could of been a lot more embarrassing than it was. Come to think about it Vinyl is probably still popular in India.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back