HF-2 errors making anyone shy away?
Jul 6, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #121 of 187
But you're so excited? Don't you want the F1's instead of having to wait on corrected FIs?

I'm gonna bet that the corrected headphones are 3 weeks away. They'll have to get the cups etched again, and then they will have to assemble them, and this time I think they will spend more time absolutely making sure there is no mistake with the corrected cans. At least three weeks, and maybe four before they actually make it to TTVJ. If somehow I end up getting the option to get an F1 instead of an FI in a couple of weeks instead of another 6, I might just jump on it, though I'd much prefer that I end up with an FI version...

Actually, I'd prefer to end up with a "GRADO HEAD-FI SERIES HF2" label. Heck, if they are going to have to redo the engraving anyway, might as well go with what matches the rest of the product line.

Jul 6, 2009 at 11:13 PM Post #122 of 187
Oh, he will check them. The question is what happens. I have a feeling shipping is going to be delayed for a little while, at least until the come up with a set number of F1 HF2s... how many does Todd have in hand now, how many cups do they already have at Grado with the mistake, etc. Once they know how many they actually have/will have, he's going to have to figure out a list of the current buyers who actually want, or at least don't mind, the F1 HF2. After that he will start shipping again, methinks. He's also going to have to deal with those 44 that have already shipped, find out which ones like theirs just fine, and which ones don't and want an exchange or refund. He's going to have a busy week, so we are going to need to lay off on the pressure to start getting things shipping again until this issue is resolved.

Jul 6, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #123 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by UglyJoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bullseye was running a review thread on the phones... it's a couple of pages back in the Full Size forum, I think. Look there for a lot of CanJam impressions. I haven't seen any in depth reviews yet though (nothing Skylab-esque, if that is what you are looking for). The first batch from TTVJ have only had theirs a few days tops, and so haven't really had time to familiarize themselves with it yet. The CanJam peeps... well, long in depth reviews just might not be their thing.

Probably still a few weeks before we get major reviews of the headphones to start trickling in.

Thanks, going through that now, not much in-depth yet but still digging. Probably like you said it will take a little while to get the serious impressions and comparisons.

Quote:

Actually, I'd prefer to end up with a "GRADO HEAD-FI SERIES HF2" label. Heck, if they are going to have to redo the engraving anyway, might as well go with what matches the rest of the product line.

After investing so much time/etc. in the current design, do you think they would even consider that? It does make much more sense, and rocks much harder, too.
biggrin.gif
We KNOW they're headphones, you don't have to tell us on the actual phone.
tongue.gif
Good call.

Jul 6, 2009 at 11:29 PM Post #124 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After investing so much time/etc. in the current design, do you think they would even consider that? It does make much more sense, and rocks much harder, too.
biggrin.gif
We KNOW they're headphones, you don't have to tell us on the actual phone.
tongue.gif
Good call.

It's not really an investment at this point. They are going to have to go back to the engraver again anyway and fix the templates. Change HEADPHONE to SERIES, receive a proof, correct any issues, receive housings, assemble and mail.

Do I think it will happen? Of course not. Would it be nice? Yeah.

Funny thing is, as someone posted earlier, the F1s kind of have "headphone" on them twice! F1 = F(one)

"Grado Head-F(one) Headphone"

hahahah

Jul 6, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #125 of 187
Quote:

It's not really an investment at this point. They are going to have to go back to the engraver again anyway and fix the templates. Change HEADPHONE to SERIES, receive a proof, correct any issues, receive housings, assemble and mail.

Do I think it will happen? Of course not. Would it be nice? Yeah.

Funny thing is, as someone posted earlier, the F1s kind of have "headphone" on them twice! F1 = F(one)

"Grado Head-F(one) Headphone"

hahahah

heheheh, that's pretty bad.

But changing the templates would potentially open up a whole new can of worms, and I couldn't possibly imagine them doing that. I can see it now: GRADO HEAD-FI SER1ES HF-2.

oh noez!!
eek.gif

Jul 6, 2009 at 11:45 PM Post #126 of 187
HAHAHAHAHAHA. I really doubt that there will be any other engraving issues after this. It's an easy (if not quick) fix, which is why is shouldn't have happened in the first place.

Jul 7, 2009 at 12:35 AM Post #128 of 187
What reall is bad about this, is I feel those who want fixed engraves will get them, but those of us who haven't had ours shipped will have to wait EVEN longer. I waited until the night on the 15th to order because I thought it auto charged the CC. Now I was glad atleast I didn't have to wait more than another week, if they do all this it's possible I won't get it before my BDAY. You know how hard it is to keep $452 in my checking account as a student? Very sad this happened, and I know itll be fixed, but why! Alright, Im done ranting Im just a very sad Panda
frown.gif

Jul 7, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #129 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by ucsf2012 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The head-fi community represents the majority of Grado's high end sales. Who else buys headphones priced like this? Does Grado want to even risk losing so many of their top customers in a single sweep?

Grado was making headphones long before Head-Fi existed. We're not the only headphone enthusiasts in the world.

Jul 7, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #131 of 187
Quote:

Posts like these really burn me up. You are basically saying that as long as Grado turns out a product that sounds good, any other issues related to build quality should be ignored and "ungrateful" customers should just shut their mouths and go away.

Is there a problem with build quality here?

Quote:

Fact: Grado designed and showcased a product. They quoted a certain price-point for that product. The customer saw that product, and based on either personal experience or word of mouth on the sound quality of that product, as well as the images of what that product looked like, the details of the construction, and a certain expected construction quality based on the price-point quoted for that showcased product, purchased said product with the expectation that it would be delivered in the fashion in which it was advertised.

Why would they expect that? I thought Grado were notorious for poor build quality and unreliability?

Quote:

Now, some people like the error. Some are bothered by it. Everyone so far has reported being happy with the sound. None of that matters. The only thing that matters are the facts above, and the impetus falls on Grado to make sure that those who purchased the headphones and aren't happy with the errors made on the manufacturer's part are satisfied with some solution.

Those who aren't happy can return them. They have 30 days. I just want to get mine and listen to them. If a bunch of whiners hold up the shipping process over some cosmetic "flaw", I'll be rather pissed off.

Quote:

Personally I'm glad that the phones all sound good. I wish I had mine now, F1 or FI.

Coulda fooled me..

Jul 7, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #132 of 187
I really hope I don't have to wait forever either, I want them before my birthday! Never having RS-1s these are the best Grado's Ill have heard. I would like to hear if I should go up beyond them but in my mind just different flavor, so my HF1 and HF2 will be my grado's forevah, maybe GS1000 for bigger soundstage
biggrin.gif

Jul 7, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #133 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by ucsf2012 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The head-fi community represents the majority of Grado's high end sales.

Are you sure about that? What's your source?

Jul 7, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #135 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there a problem with build quality here?

The "F1" error isn't a build quality issue and it's a pretty minor cosmetic flaw. I'd be fine with an F1, although I do think it's a little silly and slightly embarassing. That said, there are two owners out of this (relatively small) first batch that have complained about build quality issues (stray etchings, glue overspill, and gnarly c-bracket/dowel assemblies).

Yeah, even those are probably just cosmetic (although, with respect to the c-bracket/dowel, we might be getting into structural defects). Whether you think this is a big deal or not is really a matter of personal taste, but those two HF2s don't quite gel with my valuation of $430, and the "F1" sort of compounds that. Is it a big deal? Maybe not. Would receiving either of those two HF2s bother me? Yeah, sorry.

Of course, I have no reason to suspect that JG/TTVJ won't replace those two visibly imperfect sets if asked to. I still have the utmost respect for John Grado and Todd and I don't see any reason why that would change, and I feel bad that some people have been especially vitriolic in their criticism. I still extend heartfelt thanks to both of them for making these possible.

But I can say that I'm a little nervous now. Obviously, the sound is the main thing and I'm happy to hear that nobody has any complaints thus far on that front. But money is extremely tight for me right now, and while I welcome a few "handmade" imperfections and cosmetic oversights from a small-scale family business (I've worked in those, too!), I don't think I could justify the expense to my significant other right now if mine came back looking like strid3r's (his in particular; I could get past the scratches and glue on allenf's pair but maybe not the dowel "issue").

Then again, at this point, there's no reason to suspect those two headphones are indicative of the rest; all the others look really nice to me and a few pictures got me salivating just as much as the can-jam era HF2s.

As someone who ordered on May 30th and has a bit (euphemistically) of a wait, I have no problem waiting a little longer on top of that if it means that Grado Labs isn't forced to rush any headphones out without giving them a bit more of a once-over. And again, I don't mean to accuse JG of sloppiness (historically, I honestly don't see too much to complain about in Grado's quality control) and I'm not writing with any vitriol whatsoever. A few will always slip past; I just hope (and fully expect!) that it won't become more of a trend.

All of that said, I think a lot of the whinging about build quality is the result of pics of those two particular HF2s being plastered about in a few threads; it tends to amplify and exaggerate the anxiety when the vast majority of these "F1s" are probably real purdy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back