Hey, i'm new....and i've got kind of a skullcandy problem...
Sep 29, 2012 at 9:57 AM Post #16 of 29
Quote:
This.  I've paid up to $450 for headphones, and owned about sixty different pairs, and the ones I really like are ~$150, or even under.  Best for your tastes does not always mean more expensive.

This is very good to know, thank you.
Quote:

Rule number one: If it sounds good to your ears, don't listen to anyone else.  Could save you a fortune in the long run, especially if you stick around here for too long
wink.gif

xD i'll keep that in mind.
Quote:
You could always get the most popular, best deal Skullcandy you can, leave it new in the box, and sell it on Ebay. Then you'd be free to get whatever you want.  

That, is a great idea, i just might do that. Thank you.
Quote:

The chances of that happening here would be exceedingly slim.

Might be a stupid question, but can that credit be redeemed for a gift card or certificate of some kind?

nope, i can't even spend it on skullcandy headphones in a physical store. just skullcandy.com.

Sep 29, 2012 at 10:02 AM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

The phillips ones will probably be my next purchase.
they won't break the bank, theyre not ugly as hell, and they have enough good reviews for me not to worry about the sound quality.
thanx a ton.

Sep 29, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #19 of 29
Quote:
I really wouldn't recommend "the Stretch" they have great build and style, but sound pretty bad, even for the price

He's probably looking for something stylish, he seems to be a high schooler or something along the lines of that, so there's not too many stylish headphones under $50 that sound good. 

So if somebody recommends something else decently stylish I guess he's gonna buy those lol

Sep 29, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #20 of 29
OP, just some advice. Don't come here and expect people to recommend headphones based on looks. That is literally the last thing that people here take into account. Sound will always come first here. It generally goes in a hierarchy like this:
sound>build=comfort>isolation>looks    Though different uses will dictate the exact order of those, that is generally how I have seen it break down.

That said, the main reason for buying a pair of headphones is to make you happy, so if you like the sound, fantastic. It seems like you want something to make you look good, in which case, get some more skullcandy since hardly anyone at your school will be able to spot an Audio Technica logo, but if you don't, I would recommend iems (in ear monitors, knows as earbuds or earphones in the non-audiophile world) seeing as how you use them while at school. Everyone knows how much beats and skullcandy cost, and they are an open invitation to get mugged if you are in the wrong place. Iems, however, are hard to spot from a distance, hard to tell if they are worth anything, unless you know a thing or two, are better for on-the-go use, and are easier to conceal (some schools don't allow headphones to be worn on school grounds).

I would suggest selling whatever you spend that credit on on ebay, and using that money to get something like the CKM500, link below.

http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-CKM500-BK-Headphones-Import/dp/B007S6U14E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348933636&sr=8-1&keywords=ckm500

Sep 29, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #21 of 29
Quote:
He's probably looking for something stylish, he seems to be a high schooler or something along the lines of that, so there's not too many stylish headphones under $50 that sound good. 

So if somebody recommends something else decently stylish I guess he's gonna buy those lol

they don't have to be 'stylish' per se, just ....not horribly bulky...i guess and yes not a complete eyesore but even if they are i'm skilled enough with paint for that to be a non-issue.
Quote:
OP, just some advice. Don't come here and expect people to recommend headphones based on looks. That is literally the last thing that people here take into account. Sound will always come first here. It generally goes in a hierarchy like this:
sound>build=comfort>isolation>looks    Though different uses will dictate the exact order of those, that is generally how I have seen it break down.

That said, the main reason for buying a pair of headphones is to make you happy, so if you like the sound, fantastic. It seems like you want something to make you look good, in which case, get some more skullcandy since hardly anyone at your school will be able to spot an Audio Technica logo, but if you don't, I would recommend iems (in ear monitors, knows as earbuds or earphones in the non-audiophile world) seeing as how you use them while at school. Everyone knows how much beats and skullcandy cost, and they are an open invitation to get mugged if you are in the wrong place. Iems, however, are hard to spot from a distance, hard to tell if they are worth anything, unless you know a thing or two, are better for on-the-go use, and are easier to conceal (some schools don't allow headphones to be worn on school grounds).

I would suggest selling whatever you spend that credit on on ebay, and using that money to get something like the CKM500, link below.

http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-CKM500-BK-Headphones-Import/dp/B007S6U14E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348933636&sr=8-1&keywords=ckm500

great, i've been looking for in ear options as well.

i didnt come here looking for style (i can find that on my own) but sound quality. ive tried alot of the brands available to me locally (i havent owned all of them because for the cost most just werent worth it) and now that im looking online for better choices there are more options than i can take in and 10x more brands than i thought existed.
the sheer bulkiness of some models is a serious turn off though. i plan on using these at school pretty much every day so they have to lie well around my neck.
i dont mind the matte black/chrome color scheme of most headphone models and i dont plan on buying a certain brand as a sort of status symbol either.
for me comfort comes above sound quality ( i dont care how nice they sound, if they hurt to wear you can keep 'em), and then sound quality and noise isolation tie for second depending on what im goint to use them for (at home with my amp, sound quality comes first but if im going to use them out and about noise isolation comes first because who cares if it sounds amazing if you cant even hear it?)
Quote:
I really wouldn't recommend "the Stretch" they have great build and style, but sound pretty bad, even for the price

good to know, i guess i'll keep looking
i plan on doing quite a bit of more reseach anyway, i just need to be made aware of what out there is worth my attention....

also, to everyone and no one in particular: im not in high school and i'm not a guy.

Sep 29, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #22 of 29

u deserve the best skull, since u have weathered thru many. 

Sep 29, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #23 of 29
If fashion has no real bearing, then I would strongly suggest iems. A good pair of iems will last a long while, and even when you have changed your style, or no longer like the certain look of a headphone, those iems will still be sounding great, with little to no affect on your appearance. That, and they are more portable, and easier to drive, so usually no amps are required, but that is another topic for another thread.

Could you try to describe the sound that you are looking for, and whether or not you want to stick to portable headphones or are good with iems? That would make it easier to recommend things.

Sep 29, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #24 of 29
Quote:
That, is a great idea, i just might do that. Thank you.

If you do end up with over $250 in Skullcandy credit, this seems a good route to go. Why not get yourself a $100 to $150 set of headphones? Lot of good options available in that price range, and I happen to think many of them will be better build quality--and thus more durable--than a $50 pair. And of course they will sound noticeably better. 

Sep 29, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #25 of 29
Quote:
If fashion has no real bearing, then I would strongly suggest iems. A good pair of iems will last a long while, and even when you have changed your style, or no longer like the certain look of a headphone, those iems will still be sounding great, with little to no affect on your appearance. That, and they are more portable, and easier to drive, so usually no amps are required, but that is another topic for another thread.

Could you try to describe the sound that you are looking for, and whether or not you want to stick to portable headphones or are good with iems? That would make it easier to recommend things.

i'm not really sure how to discribe the tone i want so bare with me and tell me if i say something conflicting:
im looking for something clear, i want to be able to hear the highs mids and lows.
i also want a sort of warm tone....really full and fat. nothing too bright and tinny if you know what i mean.
i'd actually prefer an iem for every day use because it's easy to get good noise isolation from them but i want a pair of over the ear phones to plug into my amp when i practice my bass.....i actually cant remember why i wanted the the over the ears for practice.....maybe there's no real reason but i guess that's just my preference.

Sep 29, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #26 of 29
Quote:

If you do end up with over $250 in Skullcandy credit, this seems a good route to go. Why not get yourself a $100 to $150 set of headphones? Lot of good options available in that price range, and I happen to think many of them will be better build quality--and thus more durable--than a $50 pair. And of course they will sound noticeably better. 

that will really open up the possibilites and options and leave me with a bit if extra pocket money too. lol.
i'm not sure if i could blindly spend that much without hearing them first though....or at having something else by the manufacturer got get an idea of the quality....

Sep 29, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #27 of 29
Quote:
that will really open up the possibilites and options and leave me with a bit if extra pocket money too. lol.
i'm not sure if i could blindly spend that much without hearing them first though....or at having something else by the manufacturer got get an idea of the quality....

Sometimes I order two different ones from Amazon and kept the ones I like. As long as you buy from Amazon or Fulfilled by Amazon (not other 3rd party vendors who do the shipping), you can return a pair and the RMA is handled painlessly by Amazon. Just keep the packaging and headphones in mint condition and give them a couple of listening sessions. Return shipping is not too bad if you use Amazon's return label (they subtract from the refund). For me, that small cost has been worth it not to have buyer's remorse wondering if I made the right choice. 

Sep 29, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #28 of 29
If you want good isolation, a flat sound, and a detailed sound in an iem, I would strongly recommend the Etymotic HF5 (can be found on Amazon for $100). That is the flattest sound that you can get for under $100. Also with Etys, you have the added bonus of being able to do the NRB mod which can increase the bass response. If you want a good, true, flat, detailed sound, Etys are the way to go. However, since you are used to skullcandys, you might think that the neutral sound of the Etys is lacking bass, which would be when the NRB mod comes in, but personally, I think that my HF3 (sonically the same as the HF5) sound great and have the right amount of bass with good impact.
That said, there have been many great things said about the CKM500 lately, and you might want to look into them (~$80). Thy don't have as good of isolation though (Etys are renowned for their isolation).

Link to the NRB mod, in case you are ever interested.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/626457/nrb-mod-nut-rattlin-bass-from-an-ety-yes-yes-yes-how-to-nrb-mod

Thread about the CKM500.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/628042/review-audio-technica-ckm500

Sep 29, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #29 of 29
As far as practicing a bass guitar goes, I would suggest the Superlux HD662f. It isn't very attractive (actually incredibly huge), it isn't particularly well built, and isn't terribly comfortable (though there are many ways to improve comfort), but the sound is very good. I love my HD662f for rock and metal. Guitars sound amazing to me. Thing is though that they have a flat response, meaning that they won't be bass heavy, which is probably what you are used to. They sound natural. If you are looking for something that might be good for portable use, has heavy bass, with strong impact, you might want to look into the Q40. The great thing about the Q40 is that you can change the cord easily, so you don't always have a monsterous cord hanging from your cans, like you would with the HD662f.
All of that to give you plenty of options. I would strongly recommend that you get a pair of iems for portable use, and a pari of cans for home use. That, or just multiple cans/iems in general. Different ones for different uses. Sometimes you might want the flat sound of the HF5/HD662f, sometimes, you might want the bass emphasis of the CKM500/Q40.

http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-Studiophile-Closed-back-Dynamic-Headphones/dp/B000XT8JTM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348938657&sr=8-1&keywords=q40

Users who are viewing this thread

Back