Hey, HeadRoom, you need to ....
Feb 21, 2008 at 5:43 AM Post #106 of 177
The price on the Jays filters needs to be looked at IMO. A pack of 4 filters on the Jays website is $5.00 while HeadRoom has them for $10.00.

I bring this up because I'm thinking of getting more. I bought a pair of Q-Jays B stock from HeadRoom and had to change the filters on the first day (right channel had no sound after a few uses). That might be due to the design of the Q-Jays which tend to get wax clogging the filters easily though. I'm pretty sure HeadRoom replaces them before shipping it out.

Overall happy with my experience though. Thanks guys!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 21, 2008 at 8:31 AM Post #107 of 177
What I'd like to see:

1. A standalone crossfeed box.

2. High quality source selector.

3. HeadRoom enclosures that are laid out, drilled and finished for popular DIY amps, like the B22, CK2III, M^3, Dynalo, and so on. Matching knobs and switches, etc., as well.

I think these would sell.

Feb 21, 2008 at 8:35 AM Post #108 of 177
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I'd like to see:

3. HeadRoom enclosures that are laid out, drilled and finished for popular DIY amps, like the B22, CK2III, M^3, Dynalo, and so on. Matching knobs and switches, etc., as well.

Extremely good idea's!

Feb 21, 2008 at 9:53 PM Post #109 of 177
Quote:

Originally Posted by fyleow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The price on the Jays filters needs to be looked at IMO. A pack of 4 filters on the Jays website is $5.00 while HeadRoom has them for $10.00.

I bring this up because I'm thinking of getting more. I bought a pair of Q-Jays B stock from HeadRoom and had to change the filters on the first day (right channel had no sound after a few uses). That might be due to the design of the Q-Jays which tend to get wax clogging the filters easily though. I'm pretty sure HeadRoom replaces them before shipping it out.

Overall happy with my experience though. Thanks guys!
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for your input, Fyleow ... I will have a look at the Jays filter pricing and see what, if anything, we can do. We do recommend ordering extra filter packs with Q-Jays ECHs. They sound superb but indeed require much more on-board filter change-over/maintenance than other earphone brands. Ordering from the Jays website is via Sweden [i think...
confused.gif
] so keep in mind the shipping charges might add up there.
eek.gif

Cheers,
Jorge
HR Sales/Product Manager

Feb 21, 2008 at 10:18 PM Post #110 of 177
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I'd like to see:

hello Uncle Erik,

1. A standalone crossfeed box. = Aah, the old HeadRoom Static [and heir Little More Static] was our only 'stand-alone' crossfeed device; it was discontinued many moons ago -- not much interest sadly
frown.gif

2. 2. High quality source selector = The 'HeadRoom Switcher' proto-project was abandoned a while back. We ran into lots of sundry difficulty here.

3. HeadRoom enclosures that are laid out, drilled and finished for popular DIY amps, like the B22, CK2III, M^3, Dynalo, and so on. Matching knobs and switches, etc., as well = Probably not going to happen anytime soon. HeadRoom is not actively pursuing the DIY market at this time.

Thanks a bunch for your input ...
biggrin.gif

Jorge
HR Sales/Product Manager

Feb 25, 2008 at 5:30 AM Post #111 of 177
I'd like to see higher end USB support on DACs. Most of the time 16/48 is enough but I have several recordings on my computer that are 24/96 and am planning on expanding my collection of higher quality stuff. My computer doesn't have optical out and so USB is my only option. Something other than the TI PCM2902 which is limited to 16/48 would be nice.

Mar 7, 2008 at 8:39 PM Post #112 of 177
What I'd love to see is more brand/model choices. There are often brand/models talked about in audio forums where people are raving about them, but not carried by headphone.com. That's pretty frustrating because I love how detailed the reviews are (and the frequency chart is a Godsend), and I really want to see that applied to more brands/models out there. It makes it much easier to compare different models/brands and make an informed decision.

There are also models on the site that's missing frequency charts--like the Sennheiser wireless models for example.

Some of the reviews seem to avoid the shortcomings of certain models. For example, the DT770 is know for being a bass monster, but that is not mentioned anywhere in the review. Or that the HD280 Pro can be uncomfortable to wear even if it's circumaural--it feels like a vise on your head after a while.

Mar 9, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #113 of 177
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lunatique /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some of the reviews seem to avoid the shortcomings of certain models. For example, the DT770 is know for being a bass monster, but that is not mentioned anywhere in the review. Or that the HD280 Pro can be uncomfortable to wear even if it's circumaural--it feels like a vise on your head after a while.

Its probably worth remembering they are trying to sell you these things at the end of the day. I was surprised at how honest the product descriptions/reviews were, any more info and i think they would begin putting people off.

Mar 10, 2008 at 5:16 PM Post #114 of 177
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lunatique
What I'd love to see is more brand/model choices. There are often brand/models talked about in audio forums where people are raving about them, but not carried by headphone.com.

For what it's worth, we are going to be carrying Denon shortly. We have the line in-house now for evaluation, and we're quite impressed with their stuff.

Quote:

That's pretty frustrating because I love how detailed the reviews are (and the frequency chart is a Godsend), and I really want to see that applied to more brands/models out there. It makes it much easier to compare different models/brands and make an informed decision.

There are also models on the site that's missing frequency charts--like the Sennheiser wireless models for example.

Good points. We are just now in the middle of revamping our measurements. Sadly, our Audio Precision tester just broke and we're going to have to delay a bit to get it fixed and then continue measuring. Suffice it to say, I too am very interested in continuing and improving our measurement program, and we will be re-measuring all the headphones and the re-doing our measurement tool on-line.

Quote:

Some of the reviews seem to avoid the shortcomings of certain models.

As miniduncan rightly points out, we have to be a bit careful about dissing cans. On the one hand, we simple can't say a certain headphone is junk when there are some people out there might have tastes that will be satisfied by that product, and on the other hand our vendors might get a little uncontrollably pissy (read lawsuit or getting cut off) if we diss something too hard. Slowly we're coming to grips with this issue by just not carrying things we don't like.

Mar 10, 2008 at 5:41 PM Post #115 of 177
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lunatique /img/forum/go_quote.gif

FWIW, the most recent beyerdynamic DT770 'audiophile' edition [250-ohm] with the rounded grey-matte earcups seems to offer more control of the bottom-end versus the older DT770 models or even the current DT770-M model... that's yet another reason for some updated headphone measurements, eh!
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers,
Jorge
HR Sales/Product Manager

Mar 10, 2008 at 6:53 PM Post #116 of 177
You need to put out an Airhead with a bass boost again. Looking around for myself, that's a very desireable feature for many purchasers hoping for more BOOM for their buck. Let's face it, most kids new to headphone aren't complete audiophiles looking for straight wire path, they just want excitement and MORE volume. Bass is a big part of that. I see amp after amp going unsold on ebay, but if the seller mentions he's installed a bass boost, the bidding begins. I had an old airhead with bass boost. If the new ones had that feature, my search would be over...

Mar 13, 2008 at 1:58 AM Post #117 of 177
I read a bunch (but not the entire thread), so I apologize if this has been brought up already:

Your 2006 MicroDAC is a great product. How about an upgrade product for portable use? The Ultra Micro DAC with DAC is pricey (which isn't all bad for what it is), but it would be nice to have a portable DAC with the option to use an off board amp as well. To my knowledge, none of your new DAC's are portable and have a lineout. There are still a bunch of us with H1xx out here....so give us a better option than the ibasso D1.

Easily replaceable batteries are always a plus also.

I also noticed today that the Ultra Micro combo is changed (?) on your website...Jeremy just quoted me $699 two days ago for a portable "Ultra Micro w/DAC", but on your website it's now $598 and not the portable combo version? I'm so confused
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 13, 2008 at 11:22 PM Post #118 of 177
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also noticed today that the Ultra Micro combo is changed (?) on your website... Jeremy just quoted me $699 two days ago for a portable "Ultra Micro w/DAC", but on your website it's now $598 and not the portable combo version? I'm so confused.

Sorry about any confusion, Wolfen68!
confused.gif

The HeadRoom 'Portable Micro Amp' WITH DAC unit is $698usd. It's also available w/o a DAC installation (analog-input only) for $399usd.

The HeadRoom 'Ultra Micro Amp' and 'Ultra Micro DAC' are AC-power-only separates (2 components) in deep "Class-A" bias that must be plugged in at all times to operate. Each Ultra Micro Amp or Ultra Micro DAC component is priced at $699 ea.

Cheers,
Jorge
HR sales/Product manager

Mar 13, 2008 at 11:28 PM Post #119 of 177
Quote:

Originally Posted by JorgeC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry about any confusion, Wolfen68!
confused.gif

The HeadRoom 'Portable Micro Amp' WITH DAC unit is $698usd. It's also available w/o a DAC installation (analog-input only) for $399usd.

The HeadRoom 'Ultra Micro Amp' and 'Ultra Micro DAC' are AC-power-only separates (2 components) in deep "Class-A" bias that must be plugged in at all times to operate. Each Ultra Micro Amp or Ultra Micro DAC component is priced at $699 ea.

Cheers,
Jorge
HR sales/Product manager

OK..that helps. I still stand by the observation that it seems there's a gap in your new lineup (a new portable DAC only unit).

Mar 14, 2008 at 12:16 AM Post #120 of 177
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK..that helps. I still stand by the observation that it seems there's a gap in your new lineup (a new portable DAC only unit).

Thanks, Wolfen... Fwiw, we do have some BRAND-NEW 9-volt battery-powered [AC power supply also included] HeadRoom Micro DACs still available currently listed under "B-stock". We currently have about 10 of those 9v portable-application Micro DACs left; then they'll be officially goners.

Cheers,
Jorge
HR Sales/Product Manager

Users who are viewing this thread

Back