Hey, HeadRoom, you need to ....
Apr 18, 2008 at 3:28 PM Post #136 of 177
Dear Tyll,

I was wondering why Ultrasone headphones get such low value ratings in general by HeadRoom. I mean I can understand at first they don't sound very good because they need very extensive burning-in but after 500 hours there's really nothing to fault about (in my opinion ofcourse). So how exactly do you rate them? How well they sound at first, how good they mate with HeadRoom amps? What they're intended for (audiophile or professional use)? Or do you simply think they're too expensive for the quality they offer?

Sincerely.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 30, 2008 at 3:18 PM Post #137 of 177
I wanted to ask that someone work on your web page, its time consuming to click on a headphone and read about it and then hit the back button and you always return to the top of the list. So if I'm looking at Grado 225s and hit return I'm at Sennheisers and no longer looking at the Grado list I started from. It'd be nice to return where you were specifically in the general listed headphone page.

Apr 30, 2008 at 3:23 PM Post #138 of 177
Nice to see Denon, but it would be nice if you guys would add more manufacturers and review them as well.

Audio Technica

Equation Audio

Goldring

Etc....

May 1, 2008 at 1:48 AM Post #139 of 177
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gladstone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dear Tyll,

I was wondering why Ultrasone headphones get such low value ratings in general by HeadRoom. I mean I can understand at first they don't sound very good because they need very extensive burning-in but after 500 hours there's really nothing to fault about (in my opinion ofcourse). So how exactly do you rate them? How well they sound at first, how good they mate with HeadRoom amps? What they're intended for (audiophile or professional use)? Or do you simply think they're too expensive for the quality they offer?

Sincerely.
smily_headphones1.gif

I think HeadRoom has a clearer head about this than half of Ultrasone users. Majority (except Edition 9) of Ultrasone headphones have very very colored frequency response, which is unreasonable for a high-fidelity listening AND monitoring headphone. You should have seen the graphs shown to me by another head-fier of my Proline 2500 which had over 1000 hours on it.

HeadRoom: it would be great to see Ultra-Micro amps start coming with quarter inch jacks. From my 4 years experience with headphones, when mini-jacks are in use, something ends up broken sooner or later (at least on my messy table, say hello to college and lack of space).

Ooo! And speaking of college - Student HeadRoom discount? (That's how I bought my computer and such...wouldn't be able to afford anything without these).

May 1, 2008 at 6:02 AM Post #140 of 177
YES!
MaloS has got it right!
Even if it were a small discount, if word got out, people would jump on it. There are tons of students into headphones (for various reasons). It's a good sized market I think, and even the idea of a discount (even if it's not that big) seems to change customers. They like to feel like they've got a special deal (which I suppose they already are since HR prices aren't too bad). But seriously - I'd be all over it if you did!

M

May 1, 2008 at 5:00 PM Post #141 of 177
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HeadRoom: it would be great to see Ultra-Micro amps start coming with quarter inch jacks. From my 4 years experience with headphones, when mini-jacks are in use, something ends up broken sooner or later (at least on my messy table, say hello to college and lack of space).

Ooo! And speaking of college - Student HeadRoom discount? (That's how I bought my computer and such...wouldn't be able to afford anything without these).

Exactly why I returned my ultra-micro and just recently bought the desktop instead (waiting for its arrival
smily_headphones1.gif
). I heard somewhere that there is no room for a 1/4" jack, though.

And yes, the college discount would be nice, but a little late for me
redface.gif

May 1, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #143 of 177
Quote:

Originally Posted by xFih2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Exactly why I returned my ultra-micro and just recently bought the desktop instead (waiting for its arrival
smily_headphones1.gif
). I heard somewhere that there is no room for a 1/4" jack, though.

And yes, the college discount would be nice, but a little late for me
redface.gif

Heh, speaking of the Ultra Micros. For the price of the Stack I can buy the HeadRoom Balanced WITH a DAC O.O.

May 1, 2008 at 5:25 PM Post #144 of 177
Couple issues on the build a graph section of the site. Two identical entries for the dt 880 and a listing for sr-325 but not 325i.

One thing I'd like to see on the build a graph section is more out of production headphones to select, like the K1000 and the earlier versions of the 880/990. Could help people with different versions of headphones know whether or not to upgrade, and document the performance of rarer models.

Thanks.

May 6, 2008 at 3:21 AM Post #145 of 177
Put the input select switches for the Home Balanced Max amp on the FRONT panel instead of the back panel.

May 6, 2008 at 6:52 AM Post #146 of 177
Quote:

Originally Posted by twestby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Put the input select switches for the Home Balanced Max amp on the FRONT panel instead of the back panel.

Hiya n00b! Sorry about your wallet!

And you bet, it'll be a couple of years, but they'll be on the front eventually.

May 7, 2008 at 12:48 AM Post #148 of 177
Tyll,

You guys need to get over your shyness. Get out there and pump up your product line. I know it's good and all, but if you keep it hidden under the proverbial basket how is anyone going to know how good they (and you folks) are? We reviewers can only do so much. :wink:

Seriously, if I had one suggestion its to STOP making so many darn nice products that I can immediately think of a use for. My wallet only stretchs so far.

May 7, 2008 at 12:59 AM Post #149 of 177
will future version of the bithead and airhead be built in more standard aluminum enclosure with a regular volume knob and inputs and outputs on the front instead of on all 4 corners? It is hard to put in my pocket with all the jacks jetting out from the corners. How about recharging circuit too, im burning through AAA batteries.

May 8, 2008 at 6:13 AM Post #150 of 177
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hiya n00b! Sorry about your wallet!

And you bet, it'll be a couple of years, but they'll be on the front eventually.

Thanks Tyll! But don't sweat my wallet - if my Balanced Max didn't sound so beautiful, I wouldn't've had to buy GS1k, K701, beyer880, AND Senn 650 cans to go with it! Frankly, now that I've memorized them, I actually prefer those switches being on the back. Hell, ANYONE can throw a toggle when it's on the front. This amp is truly a masterpiece. After burn-in, I think I'll send it in to install the ALPS RK50. It just deserves the quad-pot regardless of price, and will live next to the Zana Deux. One thing I do sometimes wish for is a remote. (No doubt that wish will vanish when we put in the RK50!) Thanks, -Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back