Hey, HeadRoom, you need to ....
Jun 17, 2007 at 1:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 177

Tyll Hertsens

Garmentus Vulgaris & Headphoneus Supremus
Member of the Trade: Innerfidelity
While I'm going to be glad to hear all your comments of praise in the "Thank You" thread, I'm also interested in where you think we can do a better job.

This thread is your opportunity to make suggestions about how we can improve. It's quite likely that we'll start some new threads off the ideas that you post here, but I'd appreciate it if you'd start by making suggestions here rather than start a new thread for every one.

Jun 17, 2007 at 4:26 PM Post #2 of 177
Well, ok, you asked for it.
tongue.gif

I returned a set of headphones that were delivered to Headroom on May 7th according to USPS tracking, but it wasn't until May 24th that the credit showed up on my credit card. Is more than two weeks normal for credits? Seems a bit long to me. I suppose I could have repacked them wrong or left some packaging bit out, but I would also expect a credit minus the restocking fee in less time.

Also, I sent sales an email asking some questions about your amp and headphone bags on May 4th and I STILL haven't received a reply.

Neither of these is anything traumatic, but they just stuck in my mind.

I asked if Headroom or anyone else made a bag that could hold the Micro Stack, both power supplies, and a player and its power connector, with some kind of a power strip inside the bag with everything plugged in, so I could unzip a single pocket and plug in a single cord and have everything powered up. It would be too big for a portable setup, but on a trip it would be a nice setup to carry it all for tabletop listening. So was that a type of question your sales folks don't answer?

Minor quibbles. Now I'm off to the thanks thread.
icon10.gif

Jun 17, 2007 at 4:57 PM Post #3 of 177
I'm not going to say "you need to," because I think you know much better than I how to run your business. But "I wish you'd":

- Offer more headphone parts. Beyer pads, AKG pads, those little twist-on 1/8"-1/4" adaptors that come with many headphones and eventually get lost. Yeah, we can try to track this stuff down from the manufacturers ourselves, but I'd really rather deal with you even if you took longer and charged more, because your phones get answered and you return messages.

- Carry Etymotic again. Or at least their parts and supplies, which I order routinely and would like to order from you.

- Or at least, for cryin' out loud, the ER-20's: hearing preservation should be as much your concern as anybody's. IMO you should have a whole hearing preservation department in your store: cheap disposables, ER-20's, right up through custom musician's earplugs.

- Take a stand on custom earmolds for universal-fit IEMs. Advantages and disadvantages of the various materials available; measured effect on sound quality and isolation. The information that's out there is pretty anecdotal right now, and you could provide some real visibility and education around these products.

- Be cautious in planning your product strategy around the idea that your customer will buy an all-HeadRoom system. My understanding is that you're not building a switchbox because the Desktop Amp already has switched inputs. You're not offering a high-end standalone DAC because it's bundled into the amps instead. I really like your products (I had some quality listening time in your HeadFest suite, and I really like them), but I still prefer to mix and match on my own. I'd like not to be discouraged from buying your products just because of your emphasis on the all-in-one-and-all-from-HeadRoom solutions.

- Oh, yeah, and would you mind carrying Oto-Ease? I'm always buying another bottle or two of that stuff.

Jun 17, 2007 at 5:07 PM Post #4 of 177
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardwired /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, ok, you asked for it.
tongue.gif

No kidding!
blink.gif
I knew I'd be in for some work when this forum went live.

Quote:

I returned a set of headphones that were delivered to Headroom on May 7th according to USPS tracking, but it wasn't until May 24th that the credit showed up on my credit card. Is more than two weeks normal for credits? Seems a bit long to me.

It's a difficult juggle, and does stretch out too long for comfort from time to time. It's also an area we've made statistical progress on over time---like I say, it does go up and down. Legally, you have to do refunds in eight weeks. I don't think we've ever gotten that far except possibly on an overlooked paper miss-shuffle on the odd occasion. Right now, I think we're under a week, last month it averaged between 2-4. Our target is 1-2 weeks.

Thank you for asking the question, Hardwired. I think being able to comment broadly on some of these issues is worth bringing up. I'd like to remind future posters, however, that we will not be addressing any particular current Customer Service issues here. I am absolutly positive we've blown people's orders one way or another on umerous occasions; I'm sure we have dissapointed folks hundreds of times over the course of 15 years. But I'm equally sure we have had tens of thousands of picture perfect transactions where the customer was pleased as punch to do business with us. There really isn't any need to comment on a particular experience you've had one or the other, other than to start a larger discussion.

Again, I'm greatfull for your question, Hardwired, and I hope others will elicit our comments on types of issues.

Quote:

I asked if Headroom or anyone else made a bag that could hold the Micro Stack, both power supplies, and a player and its power connector, with some kind of a power strip inside the bag with everything plugged in, so I could unzip a single pocket and plug in a single cord and have everything powered up. It would be too big for a portable setup, but on a trip it would be a nice setup to carry it all for tabletop listening. So was that a type of question your sales folks don't answer?

There's an old saying that salesmen are better left in the dark when it comes to future product developement. Otherwise they start selling stuff we don't have yet. I can tell you I'm horrible on the phone for that exact reason. Now, Jorge is well aware of the products we are developing and has far more self-discipline than I, so you might have gotten a blank exchange on that chat. But I guarantee you when a similar subject came up as we informally chat about future products, Jorge very well might mention your comments---so customer comments to sales folks are not falling on deaf ears. But they've also got a lot of people calling in for sales help and it wouldn't be right for other customers waiting on sales help to slow up the system with too much chit-chat about pie in the sky things. So, they try and do their job and listen to the comment, but make sure the help thier giving is on currently available gear.

However! This forum is exactly the right place to have such discussions, and we have talked about such a carrying case (large carry case with plug-strip built-in) many, many times, and with a variety of applications (lap-tops, business travel, small system bags). It's a great question, and I invite you to start a thread with a description of your idea. I'd love to hear the comments of other on the subject and make a few myself.

Quote:

Minor quibbles. Now I'm off to the thanks thread.
icon10.gif

Well, thanks for them. I'm having fun.

Actually, I'm just putting off raking about a 1/4 ton of spring gardenwork trimmings that my wife has muscled out of the ground. She's an animal.

Jun 17, 2007 at 5:12 PM Post #5 of 177
Quote:

Originally Posted by episiarch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not going to say "you need to," because I think you know much better than I how to run your business. But "I wish you'd":

OMG! Your comments are great! But I do have to go out and rake.

I'm so happy that we decided to fire this thing up. And, I'm so happy to have gotten such great comments right off the bat. Please keep them comming, but also understand if it takes me a while to get through them.

But great comments, episiarch, I'll get to every one of them.

Jun 17, 2007 at 5:30 PM Post #6 of 177
When you guys put out something... actually do it. I've been waiting for those speaker stands for some time... same with the dac...

Tell us, why do you guys put the HD650 and K701 ahead of the K1000 and HE90, I've always been curious. (I think i got an idea of it when i heard that balanced Max/ HD650 system and then went to Neil's orpheus... but i want to hear your take on it.)

you guys need to put remote controls on your gear... probably no amp maker is better positioned to make this move, and it would certainly add a cool factor to them.

Jun 17, 2007 at 5:39 PM Post #7 of 177
Simply because I can't resist...
biggrin.gif

Get to work on the redux of the Wheatfield HA-2. I've been spending a lot of time with this amp recently and ohhhhh mama! I know that you know it's good Tyll, but other people need to experience this. I know Pete has some thoughts on how to improve the original design (some of which I've done to my amp) and it'd be awesome to see it come into production again. With the popularity rise of high-ohm phones like the K340 it seems a somewhat natural fit.

And I second the request to, if possible, at least carry the etymotic accessories. I'm on my last pair of tips!

Jun 17, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #9 of 177
Well, that seems pretty clear. The pricing is a bit crazy with their cans out there right now on Etymotic IEMs; but their accessories might still support normal margins. We'll look into it.

Jun 17, 2007 at 8:41 PM Post #10 of 177
Quote:

Originally Posted by episiarch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
- Be cautious in planning your product strategy around the idea that your customer will buy an all-HeadRoom system. My understanding is that you're not building a switchbox because the Desktop Amp already has switched inputs. You're not offering a high-end standalone DAC because it's bundled into the amps instead. I really like your products (I had some quality listening time in your HeadFest suite, and I really like them), but I still prefer to mix and match on my own. I'd like not to be discouraged from buying your products just because of your emphasis on the all-in-one-and-all-from-HeadRoom solutions.

X2.
It would make Headroom seriously more attractive to me.
It would also be nice if you could fit all your (upgrade) options in one format, preferably the desktop format, which is great.
Mixing and matching different ( desktop sized) components would make upgrading a lot easier.
This basically means: don't (try to) put all options in one (desktop) box, but make different, more sparse modules of the same (desktop) size and format and make the format so it will allow to upgrade to MAX module level. Make them higher if you have to, but keep the same footprint, so I can stack everything in any combination I want.
That's all
icon10.gif

Jun 17, 2007 at 8:52 PM Post #11 of 177
Okay so I bought a 6inch Cardas mini-mini cable a few days ago. $14 was worth a shot to see if it made any difference.
I check my credit card bill earier and the total order came to $29. I understand its an international order, but $15 to ship an interconnect!? Eeeek!

Jun 18, 2007 at 2:29 AM Post #12 of 177
I'd like to see more budget products. The airhead is a decent amp, but it's not that great (IMO). On the other hand, I think the micro I heard at the first national meet from you sounded fantastic!! But those are $300. I'm just saying, in the Airhead's price range, you're only offering one option, and in my opinion, it is not a great bang for your buck, and perhaps that's why you don't see it talked about or recommended too much around here.

Just a suggestion.

Jun 18, 2007 at 3:44 AM Post #13 of 177
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While I'm going to be glad to hear all your comments of praise in the "Thank You" thread, I'm also interested in where you think we can do a better job.

This thread is your opportunity to make suggestions about how we can improve. It's quite likely that we'll start some new threads off the ideas that you post here, but I'd appreciate it if you'd start by making suggestions here rather than start a new thread for every one.

Why do you only balance certain headphones? & only sell XRL male? I was going to give you my business but found out you don't recable the SA5000 or have XRL females balanced cables for sell.. so I spent my 500 elsewhere.. You should really consider doing more headphones, I'm sure it would be quite profitable.

I order from you twice.. Great experience both times.

& I still take it, that you aren't going to be selling external DACs besides the micro dac?

Jun 18, 2007 at 3:47 AM Post #14 of 177
Ooh! Wishlist time!

1. Portable componentry (actually portable, not the Micro stuff (which is great, don't get me wrong; I've got a Micro Stack on my computer -- but it's not REALLY portable)) that looks cool, instead of just vaguely functional. Everything else you have looks great, so I know it's possible. Heck, charge a premium if that's what it takes. I'd gladly pay Micro money for something smaller than a Micro.

2. A portable "solution." You know the iMod? It seems ridiculously overpriced , but in concept take something like that, and integrate it with an amp custom-built for the purpose (maybe with an amp that fits perfectly with the iPod, perhaps with a built-in dock connector), and voila. Probably impractical, due to the part where you'd be taking on a huge development expense while being dependent on Apple not changing things up in two months, but attractive in principle.

2a. I doubt this is feasible, either, but a custom DAP based on the Rockbox firmware and optimized for audio quality would be ultra-sweet. I have no idea how big the market is for an audiophile DAP, but I'd sure as heck buy one, and I bet Stereophile would be interested. (And note that something Micro-sized would actually be highly portable in this context, as it'd be a single unit to carry...)

3. Be even more emphatic about headphones that you think either suck or aren't worth it. For instance, I know you've said that the Shure SE420 is better than the SE530 -- so why rate the 530 as five bars in value? (Caveats: 1) You're a lot better at this than almost any other vendor, which is why I tend to believe the rave reviews on your site as it is; 2) I've got the E500, which I understand to be the same as the SE530, and they're great, so I think you may be insane on this anyway.)

4. Carry computer speakers. Okay, yes, I know you're a headphone company, but with all the USB and digital stuff you've got, it's pretty clear that you're selling a lot of stuff to people who are hooking up to their computer. Also, there is nobody in the entire world who's selling speakers intended for computer users that don't suck (the market pretty much goes from junky "multimedia" speakers to active studio monitors that need special cabling (1/8" to XLR?), but nobody's actually aiming at computer users who care), so there's an open niche.

Jun 18, 2007 at 5:14 AM Post #15 of 177
mkozlows;3045483 said:
Ooh! Wishlist time!

2a. I doubt this is feasible, either, but a custom DAP based on the Rockbox firmware and optimized for audio quality would be ultra-sweet. I have no idea how big the market is for an audiophile DAP, but I'd sure as heck buy one, and I bet Stereophile would be interested. (And note that something Micro-sized would actually be highly portable in this context, as it'd be a single unit to carry...)

X2

This is my dream:
A transportable DAP using several 2.5 inches hard drives (RAID; 600 giga bytes), digital output (toslink or coax), battery powered, USB host, plays ALAC and FLAC lossless files, runs by an open source software (Rockbox or other), the battery can be recharged by the AC power supply, the battery and hard drives can easily be replaced by the user, 10 inches LCD display, a good DAC inside, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back