Hey guys, help me pick please
Oct 9, 2010 at 1:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

goldy

New Head-Fier
Alright so I've been perusing  headphones for a while and I'm mainly looking for some good closed cans at a price that will still let me eat, this is what I've come up with so far:

Sony mdr 7506
shure 440
shure 840
ATH M50
sennheiser hd-25 if i can find them used

Superlux hd-668b - does anyone know how much sound these cans leak? I know they're semi-open.

I listen to a variety of music, from classical to hip-hop and jazz to indie. I'm looking to get a udac sometime, though these phones will mostly be used unamp'd on the go.
So any new suggestions or picks would be greatly appreciated!

Oct 9, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #3 of 8
Grab the 440s and run far, far away. I came here just like you, looking for the same things and ended up jumping on the ESW9s for ~300, which was a colossal investment at the time. I guarantee you'll appreciate your purchase and eventually forget about head-fi as long as you stop reading now and grab em for $57 off google shopping. Good luck and hide your wallet.

--Edit--
Checked the price of the SRH440s and they seem to be around the 75-100$ price range...that $57 deal might be a nasty little surprise or a steal, but in this case I'd suggest investing the extra $18 or so in a bit of security and a guaranteed warranty.

Oct 9, 2010 at 6:09 PM Post #4 of 8

Quote:
Grab the 440s and run far, far away. I came here just like you, looking for the same things and ended up jumping on the ESW9s for ~300, which was a colossal investment at the time. I guarantee you'll appreciate your purchase and eventually forget about head-fi as long as you stop reading now and grab em for $57 off google shopping. Good luck and hide your wallet.

--Edit--
Checked the price of the SRH440s and they seem to be around the 75-100$ price range...that $57 deal might be a nasty little surprise or a steal, but in this case I'd suggest investing the extra $18 or so in a bit of security and a guaranteed warranty.

Heh, thanks for the advice but I think I'm already addicted to this site. I've been reading about mods for my grado's for the past week and it's hard to get away from. Anyway, is there a particular reason for the SRH440 recommendation?

Quote:
Welcome to Head-Fi.

What's your budget for buying headphones?

And what equipment will you be plugging your headphones into when on the go?

I'm looking to spend anywhere from $50-100ish, maybe a little more if I wait. I'll be using either a first generation zune or an iphone on the go, though sometimes it will be my netbook. As I said earlier, I'll probably be looking into a udac sometime soon for the computer.

Oct 9, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #5 of 8
Oh...well then, it's already too late. Welcome to Head-fi, and we're sorry about your wallet. I chose the SRH440 in particular because it was cheaper than the rest and praised around here for having great value and the signature Shure-house sound, which seems to do well with as all-rounders, but perhaps it might be better for your upgraditis to look at the ATH-M50s or AD700s (as you can tell from my sig, I'm a big fan of the audio-technica line)...

By the way, we'll be expecting you back in 6 months or so with a bigger budget and far less fat on your bones
biggrin.gif

Oct 10, 2010 at 2:30 AM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
Oh...well then, it's already too late. Welcome to Head-fi, and we're sorry about your wallet. I chose the SRH440 in particular because it was cheaper than the rest and praised around here for having great value and the signature Shure-house sound, which seems to do well with as all-rounders, but perhaps it might be better for your upgraditis to look at the ATH-M50s or AD700s (as you can tell from my sig, I'm a big fan of the audio-technica line)...

By the way, we'll be expecting you back in 6 months or so with a bigger budget and far less fat on your bones
biggrin.gif

I found some for $79 in the for sale forum with the 840 pads, I might look into those once my next pay check rolls in
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm already on the pathetic thin side so I may just be a pair of ears in 6 months, nothing wrong with that I suppose-- gets rid of the unnecessary parts right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back