Help with my next upgrade.
Sep 2, 2010 at 4:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

dynasonic

Head-Fier
I am one of the few that really like the sound signature of the Beyer DT-990 600 ohm cans. That being said, I am definately keeping them. Right now I am using a LittleDot MKII retubed with Mullard and Sovtek tubes and a Hot Audio DACExtasy. These items are my first amp and my first DAC. That being said, I was dipping my toe in the water with those purchases... I don't have thousands to spend. Taking in to account my current gear, which do you think is the weakest unit in my arsenal? My next upgrade will have a budget of around 3-4 hundred dollars. At that price point, will I notice a larger improvement with a DAC or an amp?

Sep 2, 2010 at 5:47 PM Post #2 of 5
I don't think you have a weak link.  Are you somehow unhappy with the sound?  You have a good amp, good dac, and good cans.  It's my opinion, and keep that in mind that it's just my opinion, that unless the dac is total garbage (yours is not), differences between them are subtle.  If you like your current sound, save the cash and put it towards some new music instead.

Sep 2, 2010 at 6:54 PM Post #3 of 5
I'd look into a different amp. I can't really give you a price range, since the type of amp is more important than the price tag. With only a few exceptions, I'm not crazy about the inexpensive OTL tube amps. I think that solid state and tube amps with output transformers are better at handling headphones since they generally have a low output impedance.

If you might want to try building an amp, you can get an excellent one for $300-$400. There are many options. I'd probably take a look at something like the M^3. You can also look for used amps - very good deals turn up here, too.

Sep 2, 2010 at 11:20 PM Post #5 of 5
I'll give you the same advice Uncle Erik gave me once.  If you have upgrade-itis, get something completely different, like a vinyl turntable.  Differences between dacs are subtle.  I love your cans, and your amp ain't bad, either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back