Help with Fostex HP-P1 problem?
Dec 15, 2011 at 9:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

stvgray

New Head-Fier
My HP-P1 came today, and I'm having a problem with the interface with my Gen 5.5 80 gig iPod.

When connected, the iPod goes straight to a screen that says "Okay to disconnect."

I have reset the iPod 10 or 15 or more times, including resets connected to the AC adapter. No change.

I called Fostex support before ordering the HP-P1, to ask if it would interface with a 5.5G. The guy said yes.

Has anyone successfully interfaced an HP-P1 with a Gen 5.5?

Dec 15, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #2 of 12
Only thing I can think of is if you have the ipod set as disk use.

Dec 16, 2011 at 3:04 AM Post #3 of 12
Do you have another iDevice to plug your HP-P1 into to see where the problem follows? The HP-P1 supports iPhone, Touch, iPad, etc. Next would be to try another USB LOD cable. Try switching that if switching the iDevice doesn't work.

Dec 16, 2011 at 8:21 AM Post #4 of 12
My understanding from the fostex thread was that it was not compatible with 5.5g iPod.

From fostex manual, you can use hp-p1 as dac with:

Touch 2, 3, 4 G
iPod classic (so 6G and newer)
iPod nano 4, 5, 6 G
iPhone 3G, 3GS, 4

http://www.head-fi.org/t/566026/fostex-hp-p1-portable-amplifier-and-dac-for-ipod-iphone-short-review-and-impressions-thread/45

Jan 1, 2012 at 7:50 AM Post #5 of 12
Guys, apparently works my sister's nano 3rd gen... Not sure if this an isolated case, or does it work with all 3rd gen nano. Has anyone else tried the HP-P1 with other i-diveces other than the specified compatible models...
Would love to hear...

Jan 1, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #6 of 12
The big iPods before Classic do not have the authentication chips build in to support any og the digital extraction deviced so will not work

Jan 3, 2012 at 6:55 AM Post #8 of 12
Hmm... perhaps it was placebo effect, then... haha

Btw, anyone know if a burn in is needed for the HP-P1, and what would be an ideal ammount of time. So far I've just been listening to it without burning it it, although the guy who i bought it from might have used it for 20 hours...

Thanks in advance :)

Jan 3, 2012 at 8:48 AM Post #9 of 12
IMHO, the HP-P1 sounded cr@p when I first bought it (primarily the Amp side, not the DAC). I jumped onto buying a Pico Slim as an external amp to the HP-P1. A month later, just by chance I decided to switch back to using the HP-P1 as a DAC/Amp and miraculously it sounded so different really good - to the point that I didn't really need the Pico Slim (the external amp still had a slight edge over HP-P1's amp but the 1-month burn-in really narrowed the gap).

So IMHO, yes the HP-P1 does require quite a decent burn in for it to be fully appreciated.

As to what's changed over the month? Well, it sounded somewhat dark and uninvolving when I first had it. After a month, the uppers were much more revealing and more detailed.

At least that was my personal experience with my HP-P1. I'm merely assuming other HP-P1's are the same.

Jan 7, 2012 at 8:50 AM Post #10 of 12
Sorry to bother you guys again...

Just came across a rather confusing info that "Only iPod/iPhone etc with iOS 4.35 and after are supported" on the fostex hp-p1 (http://www.moon-audio.com/fostex-hp-p1-headphone-amp-dac.html).
From my experience so far - as well as according to the hp-p1 manual, it is compatible with ipod classic, amongs several others.
Now, after hooking my classic to itunes, it says that my software version is 2.04, which based on the info above, should not be compatible with the hp p1.

Am I missing something here...

Thanks in advance for the replies :)

Jan 7, 2012 at 9:02 AM Post #11 of 12
No you are not missing anything. The Classic does not run iOS and is supported. IPhones and Touch running earlier versions of iOS (they are the debices that use iOS) are not supported

Jan 7, 2012 at 9:36 AM Post #12 of 12
Oh ok... I see.
Thanks a bunch, dude :)

Btw, I'll probably be asking several other questions in the future as I am considerably new in the portable audio world... hehehe

Quote:
No you are not missing anything. The Classic does not run iOS and is supported. IPhones and Touch running earlier versions of iOS (they are the debices that use iOS) are not supported

Users who are viewing this thread

Back