Help with Etymotic ER4S/ER4P
Oct 30, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #31 of 50

Quote:
First of all, impedance is a circuit that consists of either resistance, inductance or capacitance. Impedance can be purely resistive, purely reactive, or purely capacitive or a combination of any of them.  Impedance that is inductive or capacitance will change depending on the frequency. The impedance, or ohmic value increases with frequency in a reactor. In a capacitor, the ohmic value decreases with increase in frequency. It is a possibility that the variation in measured value you are referring to is due to a unspecified test frequency. Headphone impedance is reported at 1 kHz to allow comparison between apples with apples instead of apples and oranges. To really know the true nature or the impedance of a circuit, measurements need to be made using an oscilloscope to detect any phase shift between voltage and current for a wide range of frequencies. In a purely resistive circuit the voltage will be in phase with the current. In a capacitive circuit the current leads the voltage. In a reactive circuit, current lags the voltage. I know the ER4B cable uses capacitors, so I wanted to throw that out as a possibility regarding the P->S cable. I will at one point verify the nature of the impedance in the P->S cable. I have a multichannel oscilloscope. But I think that to avoid problems, folks should use the P->S cable. 

What's the best way to measure impedance? Do you just run your amplifier to its rated output voltage, add your resistor (the cable in question) and measure the output voltage at maybe 5 different frequencies?  Then just calculate. Or is it more difficult than that?

Oct 31, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #32 of 50
I am pretty sure there is no capacitor in the P-S cable since I saw picture of the inside after it was cut open. Unless the cable used on P-S cable has capacitance large enough to affect the sound, but I really doubt it. Those P-S cable is so expensive or else I would have pick one up just for the comparison, hmm.

Oct 31, 2010 at 1:10 AM Post #33 of 50

Quote:
What's the best way to measure impedance? Do you just run your amplifier to its rated output voltage, add your resistor (the cable in question) and measure the output voltage at maybe 5 different frequencies?  Then just calculate. Or is it more difficult than that?

Direct measurement w/ a Fluke or apply Ohm's law.

Oct 31, 2010 at 1:24 AM Post #34 of 50
ER-4S meets your specs, even unamped.

Quote:
Sound I'm looking for:
Although I love my ER6i, I want slightly less bass and smoother/less grainy treble.

Amplification:
I do not intend to use a headphone amp. I don't listen to my music at ear-shattering levels although I would like to turn it up just a little sometimes. 

Oct 31, 2010 at 1:35 AM Post #35 of 50
If you don't have an oscilloscope, the best way is to get a multimeter that can measure resistance, capacitance and inductance. Once these values have been determined, use the following equations to determine the impedance in ohms for a certain frequency f (i.e., 1 kHz or 1000 Hz):

inductive reactance (ohms) = 2 * Pi * f * L, where L is the inductance in Henries, Pi is 3.1414, and f is the frequency in Hertz
capacitive reactance (ohms) = -1/(2 * Pi * f * C), where C is the capacitance in Farads

the impedance is a complex value = Resistance + i * (inductive reactance + capacitive reactance), where i = square root of -1

to get an absolute impedance value, take the square root of the sum of the resistance squared and the square of the sum of the inductive reactance + capacitive reactance. This value is what most people referred to as the impedance of something.

Quote:

Nov 1, 2010 at 11:54 AM Post #36 of 50
My two cents...

Buy the 4S version. Besides playing without any problem directly from the HO, it has the characteristic of representing, in an exemplary fashion, the environment where the music was recorded, and the correct positioning of the instruments.

In general, the ER4P is just a great headphone, while the ER4S gives you the impression of listening to music EVER live or inside the studio, with the band.
Moreover, any adapter will always bring one more component to the system, making it bigger, heavier and causing difficulty in handling. Believe-me, it sucks.

I love my ER4P. It is a awesome headphone. But I deeply regret not having bought the S version in the first time...
redface.gif
(

Cheers,

Peter

Nov 1, 2010 at 12:24 PM Post #37 of 50
You may cure this, easily. Cut carefully the pod where the cable makes Y-split. Change the resistors and then close the pod back with heatshrink tube.

Quote:
But I deeply regret not having bought the S version in the first time...

Jun 26, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #38 of 50
Sorry for the diversion, but folks in this thread seem very familiar with the different models.
I am selling a pair of ER-4 and I don't have the original paperwork. Is there any way to visually tell the different models apart or do I need to write Etymotic with the serial numbers?

Thanks

Jun 27, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #41 of 50

Quote:
I have ER4P and it has a green cylinder.
wink.gif

Woops edited.  Well, one model had red and blue cable strains, the other was full black.  I think the two 'S' models I had were red and blue, I forget.  Is your 'P' all black?

Jun 27, 2011 at 1:32 AM Post #42 of 50
Set the multimeter to ohms, and measure at the plug.  One channel to ground.  If it is around 100ohms, it is S.

Z=R + jX

X=wL for inductor which is headphones transducer or coil.  w =0, since f=0

Therefore, Z=R

Which is the resistor for the S and resistance of the cable and the transducer.  

Jun 27, 2011 at 1:41 AM Post #43 of 50

Quote:
Set the multimeter to ohms, and measure at the plug.  One channel to ground.  If it is around 100ohms, it is S.

Z=R + jX

X=wL for inductor which is headphones transducer or coil.  w =0, since f=0

Therefore, Z=R

Which is the resistor for the S and resistance of the cable and the transducer.  

It could also be a 'B'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back