Help with Etymotic ER4S/ER4P
Jun 27, 2011 at 2:13 AM Post #46 of 50

Quote:
^Who cares, it has the same characteristic as S.  What matters is if it is P or not.

So you want him to sell an ER4 to somebody as 'ER4 for sale, could be S or could be B.  Doesn't matter, same characteristic.'  Whatever that means.  People report hearing differences between the two.  People like Etymotic.

"ER•4B earphones may be preferred by those who want to hear the slight
high-frequency boost which is standard practice in CD and vinyl recordings
(5 dB at 10 kHz). ER•4B earphones were originally designed to provide an
eardrum-pressure frequency response closely mimicking that of the open ear
in a diffuse sound field,making them ideal for any material that has not been
equalized for loudspeaker playback,such as properly equalized binaural
recordings.Many early listeners found the 4B earphones a bit bright,which
led to the introduction of the ER•4S."

http://www.etymotic.com/pdf/er4_user_manual.pdf

Anyway, the number on the housing might be something you could use if you called Etymotic should you decide to investigate further. 

Jun 27, 2011 at 2:28 AM Post #47 of 50
^Ok, you can say it is S or B on the sale.
rolleyes.gif
  Everybody was talking about P and S, so I assumed it's between the two.  Then you brought up B.  Whatever.  When I stated S, I was referring to it's impedance characteristic, not whether it was S or P.

Jun 27, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #48 of 50
Thanks much guys. Due to the efficiency I strongly suspect it is a P model which would eliminate the B vs S issue. I will ohm it out tonight and get it listed. Much appreciate the assistance (and I should have just looked at the Etymotic spec sheet first..).
As an aside I am surprised an inline resistor affects the response, I would have expected it to just affect output.

Quote:
^Ok, you can say it is S or B on the sale.
rolleyes.gif
  Everybody was talking about P and S, so I assumed it's between the two.  Then you brought up B.  Whatever.  When I stated S, I was referring to it's impedance characteristic, not whether it was S or P.

Jun 27, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #50 of 50
This is older production, so no model markings.

Measured the DCR, just under 25ohms, so ER-4P it is.

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back