Help with Denon AH-D2000 ear-cup screw / left ear-cup falling off
Feb 4, 2010 at 4:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

amerikhan

New Head-Fier
Hey I recently bought a pair of Denon AH-D2000 headphones from eBay and they're burned in and sounding great.

The only problem is that the second I picked them up out of the box the left ear-cup's screw that holds it into place slipped right out and the left ear-cup detached from the head-band. I must have gotten the infamous D series Denons. On further inspection I realized that the screw holding the left ear-cup in place is not the same type of screw that's successfully holding the right ear-cup in place. I got the D2000's at a deal for only about $200 and I'd rather try to repair them first before having to return them to the seller who claims innocence.

I have to find a screw that is as close as possible to the stock D2000 screw (which is currently keeping the right earphone in place). Where should I start looking for one? Also it's quite difficult to angle a regular mini screwdriver to get the screw tightened in place. I'll need a mini screwdriver that's shaped on an ( L ) angle to properly fasten the screw in place without scratching the **** out of the Denons.

Quote:

some people report that the pivot screw comes loose after while....we'll see if this is still an issue. The headphone does look fragile due to the pivots, so I would be afraid to drop these. [size=xx-small]-amazon.com reviewer[/size]

img2033og.jpg

Feb 4, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #2 of 9
I looked at mine and it appears that that the screw is a Phillips round head screw using a magnifier and if I ever find my screw getting loose I will use the medium strength locktight on the threads.

Feb 4, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #3 of 9
fastenal.com might be your best bet to replace the screw - but first you need to know what kind of screw you need.

Good luck with that.

I'm unfamiliar with these headphones but i'll lay odds that they weren't assembled with tiny right-angle screwdrivers. There is some other way to skin that cat.

Feb 15, 2010 at 11:54 AM Post #4 of 9
I tried to return the headphones but the seller wouldn't accept returns. What should I do to fix the headphones?

I have no idea how to find the right size of screw for the headphones unless it's finding out how to get the screw out of the right earphone to check what kind of screw I need to find for the left earphone.

Any help with what tool / screwdriver I'll need to get the screw out of the right earphones? The screw head will fasten with a tiny screwdriver but I have no idea what kind of screwdriver I need to get around the angle of right earphone without scratching/damaging it.

If anyone who has owned/owns a Denon AH-2000 could speak up it might be easier to resolve the situation.

Feb 17, 2010 at 4:01 AM Post #6 of 9
Great idea. Now does anyone know how to remove the left earcup from its swively plastic U shaped thing. I see no way to without damaging the headphones.

Feb 17, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by amerikhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great idea. Now does anyone know how to remove the left earcup from its swively plastic U shaped thing. I see no way to without damaging the headphones.

Chances are you'll need to remove the pad and the driver and do it from the inside of the cup.

Feb 17, 2010 at 5:00 AM Post #8 of 9
I have had to tighten the screw. It is easiest if you first remove the plastic (or wood in the case of my 5000's). Finding one of those little screws might be tough. Ebay used to have vendors selling stuff like that. I remember trying to get a screw for my macbook pro. Fastenall maybe. Michaels craft store? Eyeglass screws? Post if you have success in finding them, please!

Jun 18, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #9 of 9
I just bought a pair of these phones and the right side had broken off. The screw was plastic and I could not glue it. I put in a machinist's screw, out of a cheap ass't  from Ace hardware, only had to
drill the hole out to 9/64", no washer, and it fits beautifully. The cup now swivels freely, but a lot of phones are the same. As referenced above, there is no room for a screwdriver, buy there is a pressure-fit with the rounded screwhead.
Hope this helps...
Douger

Users who are viewing this thread

Back