Help with beyerdynamic 990's
Mar 11, 2018 at 4:46 PM Post #17 of 27
The Magni is clearly a more powerful amp

Fulla 40mw>300ohms
Magni 430mw>300ohms

So not only is the Magni 3 more powerful,it is by a large margin.

I would avoid the Fulla as it is super entry level and upgradeitis will hit you rather quickly I would imagine.Grab a Magni 3 and save for Modi Multibit.As to if that will be a good pairing for the DT990 250 ohms...It will be enough power to drive them for sure,but I feel it would be too bright of a combo,for my ears.YMMV.

Mar 11, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #19 of 27
@Bla4444 What AMP are you using? Just trying to find a good one, pretty set on the 990. Kinda scared that it will be too bright like @Monsterzero 's saying

@Monsterzero I know you were talking about Tubes give it a better sound. You talked about the Little Dot, but thats way too expensive for me (unless I was looking at the wrong one). Is there anything else you would suggest?

Mar 11, 2018 at 5:13 PM Post #20 of 27
No,not really.

Without getting into a bunch of technobabble that you wont understand,the general rule of thumb is solid state is bright and tubes are warm.There are variables to that rule and varying degrees of it,but generally speaking thats the way amps work.

You can find the Little Dot MK2 for under $165.00.If thats too much $ for you,buy the Magni 3 and DT990 and see how it goes.You might like the added treble and find it to be a great combo.As I mentioned in the other DT990 thread Schiit gear holds its value quite well and if you were to find the pairing not to your liking you can sell the Magni 3 for little loss.

Mar 12, 2018 at 12:56 AM Post #22 of 27
@Bla4444 What AMP are you using? Just trying to find a good one, pretty set on the 990. Kinda scared that it will be too bright like @Monsterzero 's saying

@Monsterzero I know you were talking about Tubes give it a better sound. You talked about the Little Dot, but thats way too expensive for me (unless I was looking at the wrong one). Is there anything else you would suggest?

Jun 8, 2018 at 1:49 AM Post #24 of 27
While searching for the dt 990 pro, i've seen 2 designs, i'm awar that there are premium, pro, black edition models, but i saw different designs on 2 pro models, one has "beyerdynamic" written on the sides, while the other one, the most common, has "DT 990 PRO" written. I just want to know what's up with that. Is there a difference? Hope someone could help. Thanks!

Jun 9, 2018 at 8:22 AM Post #25 of 27
While searching for the dt 990 pro, i've seen 2 designs, i'm awar that there are premium, pro, black edition models, but i saw different designs on 2 pro models, one has "beyerdynamic" written on the sides, while the other one, the most common, has "DT 990 PRO" written. I just want to know what's up with that. Is there a difference? Hope someone could help. Thanks!
I think the one with "beyerdynamic" label is the older one, th other with " 990 pro" label is the newer one. I do not heard both of them but i guess they should be same sound wise.

Jun 9, 2018 at 8:58 AM Post #26 of 27
I think the one with "beyerdynamic" label is the older one, th other with " 990 pro" label is the newer one. I do not heard both of them but i guess they should be same sound wise.
Probably. Maybe that's why i only see the other design on videos but not on amazon. I guess that answers my question. Didn't know that the older release had a different design. Thanks alot!

Jun 9, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #27 of 27
I recently decided that I was going to purchase the Beyerdnamic DT990 Pro 250 ohms headphones. I also learned that I would need some equipment to power them.
Am I going to need just an Amp, or will I also need a DAC. I know a DAC is a Digital-Audio-Converter, but to be honest, I have no idea what it does, so if you could also explain that, it would be very helpful.

The DAC converts 1001001010000100101000010101010110101001000011 of digitally encoded music into an electronic waveform that then has to be amplified into a stronger signal that is capable of moving transducers like headphone drivers or speaker drivers, which in turn move air that makes the sound you hear. Practically any device that can play digital music has some kind of DAC. and without it the only way to listen to digital music is if you get unplugged from The Matrix first and you get so used to looking at 10010010101011 on the screen at the Nebuchadnezzar that you can tell blonde hair, red hair, C Minor, 40hz, guitar riff...

I already started to look into things and was recommended the Fiio E10K, but researching more, I learned that it's only good up to 100ohms? And since the cans I'm looking at are 250 ohms, thats a no-no since it wouldn't be able to power it to it's full extent? (Like I said, don't know much)

Its power output is actually rated to 150ohms. The problem is that the higher the impedance load, the lower the power output, the difference being that some amps can trail off more sharply even if they start out with a lot more at 32ohms.

That said, impedance isn't the only problem. If the sensitivity of the headphone is low, ie how much output in decibels you can get for 1mW (1W at 1M for speakers; and for every 3dB increase, you need to double the input power), then it won't matter if the impedance is 16ohms or 32ohms, you'll just need a lot more power.

I also heard about the Schiit Modi+Magni stack, but that's just too expensive for me.

If you'll use it on a PC there are a bunch of soundcards for less money that have enough power, and the high impedance isn't a problem for their output impedance specs.

There's the Sound Blaster X AE-5 too that has as much power as the old Magni2.

I need suggestions of an Amp and DAC (separate or all in one, like the E10K) for $150...

If you want to fully power that headphone, that's kind of a tall order. Sensitivity might be relatively high, but it isn't exactly that high, and the impedance affects power delivery on amp circuits that have to run off USB or a battery. If you can get find one on Amazon or eBay, there's the Pangea HP101. I use it on the HD600 and it gets really loud before there is any audible noise, but it has some USB driver problems on Windows. I use my Android though and it has zero issues with that.

...but can be up to $200, that would be able to power these cans to their fullest.

Ummm....Schiit Modi2 and Magni3.

I'm not looking for things that I can use for the future, as these headphones will probably be the highest end that I go.

DAC : https://www.ebay.com/itm/SA9023-SE1...811325&hash=item28563db66d:g:yxUAAOSwb9Bavy3U
Amp : https://www.ebay.com/itm/Little-Dot...926859?hash=item3d4bee810b:g:r0EAAOSw-wJZ5cJP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back