Help with beyerdynamic 990's
Mar 10, 2018 at 6:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Shiifty.

New Head-Fier
Hey, I'm Alex. My first post here.
Just gonna say, I have just a very, very, basic knowledge of audio in general, so sorry if I sound like a noob.

I recently decided that I was going to purchase the Beyerdnamic DT990 Pro 250 ohms headphones. I also learned that I would need some equipment to power them.
Am I going to need just an Amp, or will I also need a DAC. I know a DAC is a Digital-Audio-Converter, but to be honest, I have no idea what it does, so if you could also explain that, it would be very helpful.

I already started to look into things and was recommended the Fiio E10K, but researching more, I learned that it's only good up to 100ohms? And since the cans I'm looking at are 250 ohms, thats a no-no since it wouldn't be able to power it to it's full extent? (Like I said, don't know much)
I also heard about the Schiit Modi+Magni stack, but that's just too expensive for me.

I need suggestions of an Amp and DAC (separate or all in one, like the E10K) for $150, but can be up to $200, that would be able to power these cans to their fullest. I'm not looking for things that I can use for the future, as these headphones will probably be the highest end that I go.

Is there anything else that I will need, other than an Amp

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate the help.

Mar 10, 2018 at 8:20 PM Post #4 of 27
buy something more neutral and pleasing, like a Sennheiser HD598 or something, the DT990 are bright with mid bass bump, not a good headphone
dt990-250-fr.png

Mar 11, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #6 of 27
Rap, occasionally rock and roll. I’m not like the stereotypical beats extreme bass listener though.
I’ve been looking and found the Schiit Fulla 2 which as a DAC Amp Combo. I’ve also found the Magni 3, which is just an amp.
Am I going to need just an amp, or both?
Thanks for the help @Nick 214

Mar 11, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #7 of 27
Seems that the DT990 bug is going around. Have a read on this thread so I dont have to repeat myself.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/advice-for-getting-more-bass-out-of-the-dt-990-250ohm.874300/

There is nothing wrong with the DT990,assuming it falls within your preferred sound signature.However since youre relatively new to this headphone thing,you probably have no clue as to what type of sound signature you like yet.Im not being dismissive or insulting,its just the nature of this hobby.

For rap (+bass) and occasional rock I'd look into the HifiMan 400S(not 400,or 400i)or try finding a used pair(or new if budget allows)Philips Fidelio X1 or X2.Both are easy to drive and do not require an amp and/or DAC(though they can always help)and both are good first steps into the hobby without breaking the bank.

Mar 11, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #8 of 27
Considering I wouldnt’t have to buy anything except the headphones, the price of the Philips Fidelio would be the highest amount I would spend. Would these be good for gaming and FPS games? I know that the 990s were good because of their large soundstage. Would that be the same for the X2’s? @Monsterzero

Mar 11, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #10 of 27
Absolutely.
I use an old pair of X1s strictly for gaming,plugged into an Astro MixAmp Pro I get nice detail retrieval and 7.1 surround.The added bass is great for immersion,gunfire,explosions,etc...but can at time drown out small detail like footsteps,so if youre a serious hardcore,going pro FPSer this might not be the best choice.
FWIW im an older gamer(+50) and I turned a +K/D in FPSer using the X1,so if I can rock with it so can you.

For detail whoring look into the AKG K701/K702 but then youre right back at step #1 cuz those def need a good amp.

TL;DR

X1/X2 is a fine choice for gaming sans an amp.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #11 of 27
Adding onto (after reading your other post) I have a very basic question regarding headphones. Am I going to need a DAC if I bought an amp like the Magni? Or will I at a entry level not need a DAC? @Monsterzero

No.you do not need a DAC.A system can work without one.Your soundcard on computer acts as a DAC.
Getting a DAC will help bring out detail,added sound stage and bass response,and a general overall better sound,but no,its not a requirement.

Mar 11, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #13 of 27
So if I did decide to get a pair of the 990s (not saying I will, just looking at all my options) would you reccomend that I get a DAC/Amp combo like the Fulla, or get the Magni and down the road get a Modi? @Monsterzero

Re-read my thoughts here and the following Q&As that come after regarding amping the DT990 and its brightness.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/adv...ut-of-the-dt-990-250ohm.874300/#post-14096506

Its a complicated question to answer objectively as we all hear differently,but the one thing most will agree upon is the DT990 is bright. As to whether you will enjoy the extra energy up top or not is impossible for me to predict.

Personally I wouldnt own a Beyer without an OTL amp.

EDIT: RE: The Fulla

Depending upon your current soundcard the Fulla most likely wont make a massive difference in SQ.

If I were you I'd grab the X2(can be found in used section for 150.00 give or take)and call it a day.Try that out and see how it works and then after youve had it for awhile see if theres an area that you need to be improved upon.

If youre hellbent on a DT990 there is a 32ohm version that is easier to drive w/o an amp.You might enjoy the extra zip in the treble,IDK.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2018 at 3:25 PM Post #15 of 27
The easy answer is yes,nothing else is required for the X2 to sound good.
An amp will help,but not required.Same goes for a DAC.

It is a rare headphone in its price range that brings the bass and has a wide sound stage,which is not very common.Often times one trades bass for sound stage and vice/versa.
I game on a PS4 and use the Astro MixAmp Pro 2013 with it and it gets louder than I can possibly stand,but seeing as how the X2 is designed to be very efficient and can be driven directly from a phone it doesnt need an amp.I use the MixAmp for the 7.1,not for added volume.

I would keep an eye on the FS/T section for a good used pair.They come up for sale fairly often so with a little patience you can save yourself some cash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back