Help with 2nd and 3rd set of HP's in a months time.
Jul 18, 2011 at 4:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

bbaskin

New Head-Fier
One month ago I ordered the Pro 900's with help from this forum, they were for movies only. Well music such as Victor Wooten, Stanley Clark and similar music was outstanding. One week later I ordered the E7/E9 combo. I now have an appreciation for music at 48 years old. I work in Iraq and have not been able to test my 900's out with my home theatre yet but I know they will be great.

Now my problem, I want some HP's with as much WOW factor for classic rock  like Steve Miller, AC/DC, ect. and country music as the 900's have for the bass type music.

For portables I'm pretty much set on HD 25's unless someone can lead me elsewhere for less money.

For the other pair I was thinking after many many hours of research it seems I can't go wrong with the Grado 225's, only thing is they look very uncomfortable. What are some other alternatives that are comfortable if any up to about $225. If need be I will jump on the Grados without looking back. I really want that WOW factor for my favorite type of music.

This is getting a little expensive pretty fast considering I only wanted HP's for movies only.

Thanks for looking and any input you may have.

Jul 18, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #3 of 16
HD25's are pretty much the best portables out there in my opinion. As far as home listening goes, I've never heard anything better than the Shure SRH940. You should be able to get them for about $249 which is slightly over budget but if you wait for a sale you could get them as low as $200. Check out the 940 thread, you'll see they're giant killers in more way than one. They will be a great contrast to your pro 900's with a much faster, lighter, more textured bass response, a much more forward and resolving midrange, better soundstage and electrostatic like highs. They also work great with the e7/e9 as far as I remember from the brief listening session I listened to them with that combo.

Jul 18, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #5 of 16
Heya,

Grado SR225i. Exactly what you thought you were already ready to get. They're not uncomfortable. And you can replace the ear pads to suit you.

Very best,

Grados aren't uncomfortable? That's news to me lol. I think they're torture devices.

Jul 18, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:
Grados aren't uncomfortable? That's news to me lol. I think they're torture devices.

You get used to them. The HF2 is the heaviest or second heaviest bowl-based Grado, and I wear it for hours at a time.

bbaskin, just switch to your Ultrasones after an hour or so if you find them uncomfortable. For a strictly rock can, you aren't going to find much better at this price. The 225i is widely regarded as the sweet spot in Grado's SR line.

Jul 18, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #7 of 16
I'm going to jump on the 225i bandwagon as well. You won't be disappointed. 

As far as people finding them uncomfortable, that is purely a personal thing that you can't possibly know until you actually try them on. I don't find them uncomfortable at all, and wear them for hours at a time. I actually find them more comfortable than my Pro900s because they are much lighter. But of course comfort differs from person-to-person. Like Malveaux said, there are other pad options if you don't find the stock bowls comfortable. 

You've obviously done your research, now just pull the trigger and be sure to let us know what you think. 

Jul 19, 2011 at 6:28 AM Post #8 of 16
Are the SR 325' really worth the price differnce over th SR 225's.

I'm not really set on $225, thats a number I was hoping for. When I got the Pro 900's I had set a budget for $200 and that was going to be my only headphones. Now it looks like I will end up spending atleast a grand within a six week time frame.

I will check out the Shure SRH940.

It will probably be a couple of more weeks before I buy. I normally research this stuff until I can't stand anymore before I buy. I didn't really research the DAC/AMP much at all. I don't regret the buy at all, I just think I may have been able to do a little better for a little more money. Although when I got them it was just a temporary thing till I leave Iraq and at home with my home theatre.  It was supposed to be for movies only. One of the days I'm going to learn to stay out of these forums. These forums are why I have so much money in my Home theatre.

Thank ya'll for the responses.

Jul 19, 2011 at 7:49 AM Post #9 of 16
Comfort on Grados/Alessandros seems to be a very subjective matter. I owned Alessandro Ms1 for a little while and the only thing I liked about them was comfort. They were very light, not too tight and rested nicely on my ears. Not sure where all this criticism about comfort on grados comes from. Two possibilities:

-it depends on the pads. Maybe the stock flat ones on the MS1 are more comfortable than all the other ones?
-people who complain have shaved heads/sparse hair and the headband presses on the skin.

Quote:

Jul 19, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #10 of 16
Get a headphone that does them all. If you even have to question Grado comfort, and you get a couple ear aches, it can really detract from them. I think AD-900's are really good for what you wanted, but the SR-225's are awesome. Both are awesome, just pick one and you'll be fine.

I don't find properly adjusted Grados new out of the box uncomfortable. Wear the cups on the ear, and not over them, adjust the headband to lessen the clamping force until they're on but not TOO on. Those two steps most people don't do. Yes I do understand that both of them are simply due to the way they are built, but the **** things would just be more expensive if they did it any other way. I wear Grados for like 6 hours a day. I sleep in them too along with my other stuff.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Grados replaced your Ultrasones. You have to ignore price tags with Ultrasones, since a lot of what you pay for is craftsmanship and materials, which doesn't directly equate to sound quality. I've heard 750's that I absolutely hated over my K240's. The AKG K240 costs half as much.

Jul 22, 2011 at 10:01 AM Post #11 of 16
OK I should have ordered on my first plan of action, but I had to keep looking and reading. I'm giving myself no more than 2 weeks to the day and I'm pulling the trigger.

Need some input on a couple of choices. I have decided not to go with the HD 25's for one because of the portability and if I drop the value of these I will allow myself to up it in other areas. My portable listening will be used the least of them all.

1st option:  Grado RS 2i
                 HD 555        (for step-daughter to enjoy movies with me, possibly for when gaming and visitors)
                 AKG K 430  (for portable)

2nd option:  Grado 325i
                  HD 598       (same duty as HD 555)
                  AKG K 430

I research this stuff about 3 to 5 hours a day, so giving myself another 2 weeks it may take another drastic change. One thing that definately won't change is the purchase of one of the Grados.

Any input is greatly appreciated. 

Jul 22, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #12 of 16
I like both option 1 and options 2 :)

I didn't like the RS-2. I didn't feel that the price different really merited the performance I got. The wood gives the music a little more of an organic feel but not enough to warrant like 200 dollars down the drain. For that money I'd rather just get an SR-325i, MS-2, and buy another SR-225 just for fun. It's not an SR-325 + an SR-225 to me but I mean you also have to factor in that it's special and it's pretty but more or less it's just a 200 dollar cup conversion and higher binned drivers. I also find the MS-2 much much better looking since I'm a materials engineering student and I always appreciate a properly milled piece of aluminum :)

By the way, for RS-2 money, you really should ponder getting one of these:
http://martincustomaudio.blogspot.com/

He can duplicate the RS-1 cups with very sexy wood. Just buy the model of Grado you'd want, I think the Alessandro drivers are good candidates for drop-in. In one of the reviews, it's been said his woodied SR-325's he built for somebody whipped the Grado HF2's which are something of a legend around here.

Jul 22, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #13 of 16
Yep, I agree with Chris. For my money, I'd be looking into whichever of Martin's options fit my price scheme. For $500 that you'd drop on the RS-2, you could get a $200 SR225i and have Marty turn it into a beast. In my opinion, all of the stuff he turns out looks much better than the stock Grado woodies. 

On an unrelated note, this thread just inspired me to listen to some Vic Wooten through my Pro 900s. "U Can't Hold No Groove..." 
L3000.gif

Jul 22, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #14 of 16
Make sure you have the 225 cups sent to me when you're done :)

Jul 23, 2011 at 4:13 AM Post #15 of 16
I'd also go with Grados. Comfort is subjective. I find them comfortable and so do many people. However, those who find them uncomfortable are very vocal. Not that they're wrong, but you'll find a disproportinate amount of comments. I find the bowls uncomfortable until they've been washed with soap and water four or five times - when water runs clear through them. After that, they're comfy for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back