Help upgrading from Sony MH1C to more detailed/ neutral IEM
May 5, 2017 at 9:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Head-Fier
Hello,

I am looking for a new IEM to replace my MH1C. I quite enjoy these, especially the treble, however the fit is not great and the bass is rather too much for me at times. I've looked into replacement tips and they don't seem to be compatible with many aftermarket. I am therefore looking for something more detailed and neutral which will stay in my ears fairly comfortably.

My current options are HiFiMAN RE400 at £59 ; Etymotic MK5 (not MC5) at £59 ; Brainwavz M1 at £35 ; Philips Fidelio S2 at £40.

My budget is £100. I'm tempted by the Etymotic HF5 but these are around 10% over budget and £100 is quite a strict limit for me.

The decision essentially comes down to whether the HiFiMAN or Etymotic set are better than the other two due to the £20 difference. There are few reviews on the Philips but they all quote the price at over £100 so I'm thinking at the current low price they'd be a steal.

I own a pair of Grado SR60i headphones which I really like, for an indication of sound signature. I listen to most genres but mainly metal and jazz.

I look forward to hearing your input, thanks very much in advance :)

EDIT: I'm aware I posted this in the equipment forums, this was a mistake and I meant to post in Introductions, Help and Recommendations. I've reported the thread to get it moved already.

Last edited:
May 5, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #4 of 11
I thought these were not in the same league as the ones I listed? Correct me if I'm wrong, I've just never seen them recommended.

They punch above their weight in sound quality and offer features usually only found in more expensive models, the sound is detailed and fast (again they sound best with Comply tips). You will like them if you have the SR60i,

Another model to consider is the Fidue A73

Last edited:
May 5, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #5 of 11
They punch above their weight in sound quality and offer features usually only found in more expensive models, the sound is detailed and fast (again they sound best with Comply tips). You will like them if you have the SR60i,

Another model to consider is the Fidue A73

It looks like these don't have a flat sound signature unlike all the other IEMs I am looking at. This is something I am specifically looking for - flat, neutral, detailed. They are also the same price as the Fidelio S2 which surely must outperform them. I'd like to know primarily whether the re-400 or mk5 are better, bearing in mind they are £20 more. Cheers.

May 5, 2017 at 6:44 PM Post #6 of 11
It looks like these don't have a flat sound signature unlike all the other IEMs I am looking at. This is something I am specifically looking for - flat, neutral, detailed. They are also the same price as the Fidelio S2 which surely must outperform them. I'd like to know primarily whether the re-400 or mk5 are better, bearing in mind they are £20 more. Cheers.

I haven't heard the other models, but I don't like how you dismissed the M6 Pro based on brand over the Philips, in my opinion the M6 Pro are better than the Shure SE215 which they aim to compete with.

The shures are bassier and muddier, the M6 Pro is more balanced and cleaner. They do have a flat, neutral and detailed sound, designed as stage monitors.

You might find the etymotic boring to listen to, and I have heard great things about the RE400 but not heard them.

May 5, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #7 of 11
I would add the SoundMAGIC E10C to the list. It is largely neutral, nicely detailed, with a good soundstage. I think it is better than the HiFiMAN, personally. Haven't heard the MK5, sorry.

May 5, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #8 of 11
I would add the SoundMAGIC E10C to the list. It is largely neutral, nicely detailed, with a good soundstage. I think it is better than the HiFiMAN, personally. Haven't heard the MK5, sorry.

Thanks for your response, in what way do you consider it better than the HiFiMAN? I assumed the RE-400 would be far more detailed and flatter in response.

I haven't heard the other models, but I don't like how you dismissed the M6 Pro based on brand over the Philips, in my opinion the M6 Pro are better than the Shure SE215 which they aim to compete with.

The shures are bassier and muddier, the M6 Pro is more balanced and cleaner. They do have a flat, neutral and detailed sound, designed as stage monitors.

You might find the etymotic boring to listen to, and I have heard great things about the RE400 but not heard them.

I'm not dismissing based on brand, I'm dismissing based on sound signature. I don't doubt that the M6 Pro are better than the Shures, but then again according to joker the Shures are no real improvement (sound wise) over the Sony MH1C which I own already.

I have heard that about etymotics, unfortunately the mk5 are fairly new so not much written about them. They seem to be more listenable than the old budget etys though.

Cheers.

May 5, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #9 of 11
Not a big iem guy but did listen to the RE 400's this past weekend and found them very unappealing and would say lifeless. The guy that had them asked me to listen to them as he read all the reviews and bought them on that and did not say what he thought till I listened to them he had the same conclusion. This is my opinion as others hear what they hear. I would pick my KZ-ATE's over them all day long.

May 5, 2017 at 7:55 PM Post #10 of 11
I just feel the E10C is a more dynamic and detailed IEM that is more coherent top to bottom. Very enjoyable to listen to, more so than the RE-400 IMO. Of course, YMMV. That's just my take on things.

May 6, 2017 at 6:39 AM Post #11 of 11
Not a big iem guy but did listen to the RE 400's this past weekend and found them very unappealing and would say lifeless. The guy that had them asked me to listen to them as he read all the reviews and bought them on that and did not say what he thought till I listened to them he had the same conclusion. This is my opinion as others hear what they hear. I would pick my KZ-ATE's over them all day long.

Interesting, thanks for your input. Maybe an issue with the flat sound signature?

I just feel the E10C is a more dynamic and detailed IEM that is more coherent top to bottom. Very enjoyable to listen to, more so than the RE-400 IMO. Of course, YMMV. That's just my take on things.

Thanks, that surprises me as I remember reading in joker's review that the E10 isn't even as detailed and clear as the super cheap Philips SHE3590.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back