Help! Suggestions Please :-)
Mar 8, 2011 at 6:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

SteelRattus

New Head-Fier
Hi folks,

I'm looking for some IEMs in the £100 range.

I already have a pair of Etymotic ER-4P's, but find them a little lacking in bass, and I cannot wear them while flying or in bed due to the protrusion from the ear.

I had a (now missing) pair of Denon CH-751's, mostly excellent but perhaps just a touch muddy.

I have had a look through pair after pair, but am now getting confused. Essentially I want something with good overall range coverage, perhaps with slight bass emphasis. They need to sit well in the ear and not protrude, and have great isolation (on a par with the ER-4P's ideally). I don't like the over-the-ear types.

I could go for some cheaper Etymotic's, but I'm wary of having the same ear protrusion problem, and the lack of bass (which reviews seem to back up).

Shure also seem to be very large, so am again wary. Also some models go over the ear, which doesn't work for me.

From reading Klipsch reviews they seem to have problems with fragility. I look after my headphones, but don't want to have to replace in a year.

Sennheiser IE8's look interesting, but (a) break the budget severely (b) look a little large and (c) seem to have isolation problems.

Any ideas for something that suits my purpose?

TIA

Mar 9, 2011 at 5:48 AM Post #3 of 17
Other than packaging, are there significant differences between the standard Monster Turbine, Gold and Copper?

If there are differences, is it worth double the price to get say the Copper?

Mar 9, 2011 at 6:01 AM Post #4 of 17
OK, a bit of research suggests that the standard type are just that (around £130 in the UK, street price). The Gold have additional bass, and the Copper are more of a reference type (both around £200 in the UK, street price).

I think the Gold with ControlTalk are the ones for me 
bigsmile_face.gif
 I like the IE8's, but the somewhat strange design and question over fit has me unsure. The Monster Turbines look straightforward, and come with plenty of fit options, include tripled flanged which is my preference.

Mar 9, 2011 at 9:30 AM Post #7 of 17

Quote:
Yep I upped the budget a lot to try and get something I wouldn't be disappointed with.

The DBA-02 doesn't seem to be available in the UK, at least not easily.

Musica Acoustics sells DBA02 with free worldwide shipping.
Dimitri is also running a Special on DBa's so there might be an option for you...

Mar 9, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #9 of 17
Is anyone aware of a site that will allow you to select type, budget and other criteria to select a range of IEMs? I'd like to start over, just to make sure I haven't missed anything.

Mar 9, 2011 at 6:35 PM Post #10 of 17
Just in case, have you taken a look at joker's IEM thread? He has a lot of IEMs sorted in budget and lists whether the IEM could be worn down or over the ear (and then bold the method he worn them as during the review).

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/478568/multi-iem-review-150-iems-compared-jvc-ha-fx700-fad-fi-ba-ss-1964-t-added-02-27

Mar 12, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #12 of 17
id ignore the monsters, being in the UK the senn IE7 and 8 are much better value.  isolation wise they are tiny bit worse than the 751's you had but wost of the complaints are in comparison to using BA stuff like all other (well most anyway) top enders are

Mar 12, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #13 of 17
Both seem to get similar reviews though - at least as similar as it's possible to compare. Both are similar prices as well: £190 for the Monster Pro Gold with ControlTalk, and £199 for the Sennheiser IE8 with iPhone remote (prices from Amazon.co.uk).

I'm surprised the Sennheiser isolation is that bad. Do they not come with triple flanged tips and the like? I always though isolation was a function of the tips, assuming you can get a good fit.

Mar 12, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:
Both seem to get similar reviews though - at least as similar as it's possible to compare. Both are similar prices as well: £190 for the Monster Pro Gold with ControlTalk, and £199 for the Sennheiser IE8 with iPhone remote (prices from Amazon.co.uk).

I'm surprised the Sennheiser isolation is that bad. Do they not come with triple flanged tips and the like? I always though isolation was a function of the tips, assuming you can get a good fit.

Sennheisers are mostly open because of the dynamic driver.  The armatures can be more closed off...tho the dynamic monster turbines are very good at isolation.

Mar 13, 2011 at 2:49 PM Post #15 of 17

Quote:

the coppers are about the same quality level as the IE7, cleary not a terrible quality item but given the cost disparity it makes for pretty poor value.  the IE8 is a clear step up on them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back