[Help please] Looking for Muuuuuuch lighter alternative to the Audio-Technica m50s in the same price-range
Dec 7, 2012 at 5:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

pyktures

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I've spent a lot of time in that forum and other websites like headfonia.com to learn about the m50 before purchasing them at 170$ last year in the US.

I really love the sound of the m50 as it excels in nearly everything except soundstage (which I couldn't afford the price difference between them and the Ultrasone HFI-580).

But, there is a HUGE issue that has been killing me these days: WEIGHT.

The m50 are 290g. It's a weight that crushes my neck after hours of photo post-processing infront of the computer at home.

For you to understand where I'm coming from, here is my purchase path for headphones
- Bought AKG K420 (awesome sound but lacking in highs)
- Tried and nearly bought Grado SR80i (sounds like evolved k420 in every way but hesistated because of sound leakage and fear of discomfort)
- Bought m50 (best sounding pair ever much better than k240 and HD280/HD380 but a little less than HFI-580, but are neck crushers... thus the desire to look again for the perfect headphone)

Jumping from K420 headphones (90g) to m50 (290g) didn't really hurt me at first as the sound made me try to get used to the weight but my neck just can't stand them after a few hours.

Here are things I'm looking for: Simply the LIGHTEST pair of headphones that sound as good as the m50s. 

If you guys can help, I would really appreciate it.

I was considering going for a pair of Alessandro MS1i because those are cheaper than than Grado SR80i in Montreal. But I am very open to suggestions.

Dec 7, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #4 of 4
Sony MDR-V6s are a bit lighter, and also sound better than the M50s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back