Help picking new mid range headphones (closed back)
Oct 3, 2011 at 7:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Sunburn74

New Head-Fier
Hi. I come to this forum because I haven't bought headphones in a long time. I was hoping I could get some guidance.

I currently have a set of sennheiser hd600s. They are great, but the open back doesn't lend well to the sort of bass I want to experience. Maybe its just me, but I feel like its time to move on.

Please recommend a set of headphones for me to buy. I'm looking to spend around $170-$220. I want something closed back. I want something on par with the sennheiser hd 600-650 headphones but closed back. This I cannot emphasize enough. I'm willing to buy used and that will not interfere with the price. Resistances up to 600 ohms is not an issue, my amp is excellent.

Also, a minor point but a point nontheless, the cables from the hd600s drive me nuts. They coil and twist and get pulled on all the time. If something could be coiled or come with some reasonable cable management system, that would be phenomenal

Currently I'm eyeing a set of Denon AH-D2000s. Reviews have been positive but I'm curious what else I should be exploring at this time.

I don't know what else you guys would need but please assist with the information I have provided. Please move this thread to the appropriate forum if it is misplaced. I believe its in the right place however.

Oct 3, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #3 of 9
Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 250-Ohm, well under your budget.
And a headphone amplifier brings out their best.

Oct 3, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #4 of 9
I see no reason not to get the D2000.  Although, the cabling of the D2000 will probably be way more annoying to you than the HD600's.  The key is to loop the cord in the opposite direction in which it was packaged in to release its tension and memory, and make sure the two cords leading to either earcup never get twisted.

Nov 24, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #6 of 9

Quote:
what amp do you perfer for the Beyerdynamic dt770 250 OHM?

Anything will work. But I really liked Beyers on a tube myself. But a Fiio E9 would power them wonderfully on a dime. Just remember, there's more to quality audio than just a headphone & amp. Your source is pretty crucial (ie, high quality recordings that are not compressed to the point of loss, and a good DAC).

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back