Help picking a DAC/AMP. (HUD-MX1, E7+E9, or something else)
Dec 24, 2010 at 7:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Sonorously

New Head-Fier
Hi I was wondering what would be a good dac/amp for me to buy.
I'm looking for a portable dac/amp that can be used with a laptop and desktop and I have ~$200 to spend.

I've been considering the following:
Audinst HUD-MX1
FiiO E7+E9
uDAC
FiiO E11
A majority of my music is either female vocal heavy or dubstep/trance/techno, so I think I'm looking for gear that emphasizes forward mids, accurate bass, and detail.
My source is either a desktop, laptop, or 2nd gen iPod Nano.
The dac/amp will be used to power a pair of Audio Technica AT-ES7's, Sunrise SW x-cape IEMs, and a pair of BX5A's (not purchased yet, will buy a pair used for ~$100).

OR should I forget about spending so much on a dac/amp, buy a cheap pair of bookshelf speakers, and save up for better purchases later on.
Something like this - http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-650&vReviewShow=1

Dec 29, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #2 of 2
I am personally having a problem choosing between the mx1 and e1+e9 so bumps, but your headphones are 32ohms so not much benefit from amp. if you do want a dac though e11 is definitely enough. As far as your speakers go i see a 1:5 ratio pricing between headphones and speakers so for your speaker to trump your headphone you usually have to pay 250.

Good Luck!

PS: just because i said amp is not too benefitial to your headphones doesnt mean an dac isnt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back