Help Needed Buying Bassy Headphones Please
Mar 25, 2011 at 9:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

BennyBenBen

New Head-Fier

Hi, I want to buy some headphones from futureshop (i live in canada) and I was wondering if anyone could help me out in buying headphones. My Budget is around $100. If someone could go to the website (http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/category/id/23274.aspx) and tell which headphones are good.I've been looking at the Shure srh440's.

I'm looking for the best sound quality I can get for the money. I do want there to be a lot of bass but not over powering bass. I currently own the beats by dre solo, but have heard a lot of bad things about them. I like the bass on them but feel that I could get better heaphones for $100. I mostly Listen to hip hop, house, rock, and electronic.

The reason im buying from futureshop is because I dont like buying online. So if someone could please help I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Mar 25, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #3 of 23
You can use a temporary credit card to buy from any websites that accepts credit cards. You can even attach a name and address to use it on ebay and paypal. You can get these at walgreens, Walmart, or pretty much any place where gift cards are sold. I usually get the American express temporary credit card because it only requires a $5 fee, and you can put up to a $500 balance on it.

Here's the website:

https://www.americanexpress.com/gift/giftcardslanding.shtml?inav=menu_cards_giftcards

Hope that helps
dt880smile.png

Mar 25, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #5 of 23

Quote:

I currently own the beats by dre solo, but have heard a lot of bad things about them.

If you like how the Solo sounds and fits on your head, don't mind what others have to say, hon. 
wink.gif
  We don't have the same ears.

SonyStyle Canada has the XB500, which you could audition if you have a store nearby. Retails around $120. (Your FutureShop link only had the XB300, which I didn't like.)

Mar 25, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #7 of 23
It wouldn't hurt to demo them at the store if you're able to as it doesn't cost you anything, so far all people's opinions I've read that have tried the Beats Studios which is even expensier than Solos and tried XB500 thinks XB500 sounds better despite being like 6 times cheaper and they aren't that bad for the price especially if you like bass. XB500 isn't very optimally balanced and starts sounding quite a lot better with a little EQing though in case you wouldn't like the stock sound which is somewhat prone to overemphasized upperbass range that makes the mids sound perhaps slightly muffled so you could either lower the upper bass range a bit or boost mids and they could also use a slight boost to the highs in case you want a more balanced sound.

Mar 25, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #8 of 23
It wouldn't hurt to demo them at the store if you're able to as it doesn't cost you anything, so far all people's opinions I've read that have tried the Beats Studios which is even expensier than Solos and tried XB500 thinks XB500 sounds better despite being like 6 times cheaper and they aren't that bad for the price especially if you like bass. XB500 isn't very optimally balanced and starts sounding quite a lot better with a little EQing though in case you wouldn't like the stock sound which is somewhat prone to overemphasized upperbass range that makes the mids sound perhaps slightly muffled so you could either lower the upper bass range a bit or boost mids and they could also use a slight boost to the highs in case you want a more balanced sound.

X2 on the xb500s

Mar 26, 2011 at 12:53 PM Post #10 of 23

Quote:
ok thanks
 so i can put money when im in the store right? dont i have to be 18 or something?

Yep, just give the store what you want to put into the card as cash. No, you don't have to be 18; I believe you have to be over the age of 13 though.

Mar 26, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #11 of 23
XB500/700 would be perfect. Loads of bass and doesnt distort or cover mids.

Mar 26, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #12 of 23

Quote:
thanks for the advice, i do have a sonystyle store nearby but i havent heard good things about sony

Including the XB500 that I mentioned, there's also the Sony V6 and 7506, both DJ-style looking. These 3 are within your budget range. You should audition them yourself though first and the SonyStyle store would be a starting point.

There's a handful of good Sonys, but a boatload of crappy Sonys. Good luck!

Mar 26, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #14 of 23
Do u guys think the xb500's would be good with rock and alternative? im going to go to sonystyle soon this week and i hope they have them on display for demo. my other choice is the shure srh440's.

Mar 27, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #15 of 23
Shure SRH440 is A LOT different and is unusually balanced headphone in this price class but it doesn't have any emphasized bass, in fact the it's quite basslean, it's there but it certainly doesn't try to stick out and the deep bass extension is somewhat lacking. It's also has quite a lot more treble presence compared to XB500.

I don't know how accurate these frequency diagrams are but if it's anything close then they are pretty far from each other in terms of bass and overall sound balance. lol at 20Hz for example we're talking about 34dB difference between the two... that's huge.

I listen to almost any genre besides jazz & blues and similar genres on XB500 and I'm very happy with whatever I throw at it but I did make some very precise EQ adjustments using a very good quality EQ so YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back