HELP!!!!! NEED NEW HEADPHONES
Sep 24, 2011 at 5:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

kirr45

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I've put up several posts regarding headphones and I've gotten nowhere. Here's what I need from a headphone.

Budget: $300 max

Open/Close: no preference; I would guess closed because it takes care of the bass but open cuz it takes care of highs

Style: around the ear (but actual around the ear, not ones that sit on your ear)

Music: I like to hear everything from my music including the subtle noises from music like jazz. That being said I also have songs that are bass heavy so I'd like to take care of that.)

I also don't know much about ohms. Basically I'll be using them with my laptop and music player. I can buy a portable amp for it if
it'll help.

I like to have the leather ear buds rather than cloth. I'm just assuming that cloth will get hot after long periods of use (7hrs max) I had the Bose Triports and I loved the soft and comfy ear buds. Sounds was pretty good too. Although a little light on the bass. I had to use my phone's "bass equalizer" to boost it.

Cord: Single sided preferrably detachable

I've looked at a lot of dj/reference headphones but am so confused. I'll find a perfect one and then I'll read reviews saying they suck in the treble and others saying they suck in the bass. I'm lost.

Can anyone suggest headphones to me? 

The problem is where I am, the stores around me don't offer much of a selection of headphones so I'll have to order them online. 

Oh and I also heard some headphones offer a "surround sound" type of listening. 

I hope this is a fun challenge for some. 

Thanks very much for your help

Sep 24, 2011 at 5:39 AM Post #2 of 12
I was interested in the Technics RP-DH1200.They seemed good but then again the reviews confused me. They were saying that when you wear them, the speakers inside the headphone touch your ears and takes getting used to. Anyone know if they're actually around the ear?

Sep 24, 2011 at 5:54 AM Post #3 of 12
There is only one definitive choice...Grado SR-60i.  The most amazing bargain in audio today.  Don't let the cheap price and less than opulent build quality affect your decision.  The sound matches and beats many, many phones costing many times it's price.  After years of auditioning the "high price spread" I always go back to these wonders.  Smooth, upfront mids, great solid bass and sweet highs (unlike the rest of the Grado line...particularly the 325i screetcher).  Save your money for a DAC or Amp.

Sep 24, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #4 of 12

Quote:
There is only one definitive choice...Grado SR-60i.  The most amazing bargain in audio today.  Don't let the cheap price and less than opulent build quality affect your decision.  The sound matches and beats many, many phones costing many times it's price.  After years of auditioning the "high price spread" I always go back to these wonders.  Smooth, upfront mids, great solid bass and sweet highs (unlike the rest of the Grado line...particularly the 325i screetcher).  Save your money for a DAC or Amp.

A great suggestion but I would also add the often proverb that you're listening experience will only be as good as the worst part of your chain.
To OP: You're not going to be juice the true sound of any Hi-Fi cans from a laptop even attached to a portable amp or a music player (maybe a Hifiman? IDK). The Grado SR-60i is definitely a good choice but it may not offer the "surround sound" experience you want. The Grado sound at the price range just isn't going to offer up the best in terms of soundstage. But nonetheless it's a great SQ given it's price. You will definitely not regret it.

Sep 24, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #9 of 12
ATH A900.  Listened to these at Long & McQuade recently.  I think they're perfect for you.  Right in your budget.  Around ear.  Very, very comfortable.  Very highly rated by everyone whose tried them.

Hope this helps.

Sep 24, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #11 of 12
What about the Ultrasone PRO 900? Just saw that. I know its bass is good but how's the clarity? Some of my music has very subtle noises and especially the "unplugged" type of music including jazz. Do they catch all noises?

Sep 24, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #12 of 12

This is just my experience, but I feel cloth/velor pads are better in terms of heat buildup and air flow than one's made of polyurethane, pvc, or some other kind of plastic.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but genuine leather in headphones is out of that price range.
Then again, the material of the pads is really the last criteria you should be basing your decision on.

The sr60i are on-the-ear phones rather than around-the-ear unless you get some after market pads, which you may find unnecessary.
The grados are easy to drive and work well with today's pmps and ordinary laptops.
The grados are not ideal if you need some isolation from outside noises, or if you don't want other people to hear what you're listening to. 

My advice is to not get an amp unless you feel unsatisfied with the headphones, and it's a problem that an amp can fix/alleviate.

You haven't said whether you will use the headphones mostly at home or portably as well.
Almost all open-air around the ear headphones are intended exclusively for non-portable use.
You said you used bass boost on the bose triports, which are not generally regarded as bass-light phones.
I feel that closed phones with more substantial bass than the grado would more likely fit with your tastes.
You have a lot of options in your price range, so it's hard to make a recommendation, given the subjective and widely varying sets of preferences in terms of sound.

As far as "surround sound" goes that usually means either gimmicky multi driver headphones, or Ultrasone's S-logic, which doesn't really sound like surround sound to me on my Pro 900s. 
The Ultrasone pro 900s are very good of course, and whatever s-logic is, it doesn't detract from the headphones.

The ultrasone pro 900s can be found used for around ~300,  and they are my main phones.
They have good detail retrieval, and the bass doesn't mask/intrude on the treble or midrange. Overall, very enjoyable to listen to.

It helps that they have a feeling of space(maybe the s-logic in action) that is unlike many other closed headphones. I think you would be very satisfied with them. 

If you are talking about noises like from guitar picking, shuffling around, and breathing, then the PRO 900s are pretty decent, though not the best in that area.
The Ultrasone pro and hfi are both very good lines of headphones for people who like bass.
The Pro 900 sits right at the level, in terms of sensitivity and impedance, where dedicated amping starts to make a lot more sense than compared to , say, the sr60i or hfi 580.
They are still relatively easy to drive and sound very good from a typical headphone out on a iPhone or laptop.
You may have to push up the volume on your devices higher than you are used to.
Unfortunately, I feel all of Ultrasone's headphones barring the edition series are not pleasing to the eyes. 

I also recommend getting the best thing you can afford right now to forestall the eventual "upgraditis". It sucks wondering about you could possibly be missing if you went up a level.
If you can find a friend with headphones, a guitar center, or somewhere that demos products, then you should really go and try out some headphones with your iphone or whatever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back