Help! Need headphones + amp, ~400 dollars to spend
Jul 20, 2011 at 9:17 AM Post #16 of 47
If the decision is that simple I will absolutely go with the DT990 600 Ohm. My MDR-V6s are always there for reference headphones and a more neutral sound. Denon AHD2000's seem more expensive leaving less money for a quality amp. I should mention that I don't really need the amp to be portable as I'll probably use the Sony's anytime I go someplace--as a college student I'm just trying to save as much money as possible while maximizing sound quality. If the best amp for the money is portable though I'll absolutely buy it. 

Jul 20, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #17 of 47
HD600 and DT990 (600 Ohm) are good picks.

Matrix M Stage is a top pick for headphone amps, but sound quality will suffer a little if the signal is coming straight from your macbook pro soundcard, that's why you need a DAC (it's like a high-quality external soundcard) or a DAC/Amp combo, such as the Matrix Cube or Yulong U100, just make sure whichever Dac/Amp you pick has no issues with Mac OS if that's what you're using.

When I read your first post I feel like you want something amazingly warm and romantic with good bass impact (hip-hop, electronica), however I don't think that will be good for making music with in ableton as you also mentioned, I think either you should keep your Sony MDR-V6's for making music, and use your new headphones for music listening, or if you like the sound of your V6's I'd recommend the Sony ZX700 or Z1000 as that will be a complete upgrade in sound quality and still suitable for studio quality mixing. 

I think you should check out reviews of the high-end Audio Technica models and perhaps Ultrasone as well, and if you've never used an IEM, don't make the mistake thinking that earphones don't offer the same sound-quality as high-end headphones, they really do, and feel more intimate.  If you're interested in IEM's check out this thread http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/478568/multi-iem-review-182-iems-compared-soundmagic-e30-blue-ever-blue-866b-added-7-06

A quick IEM recommendation from me, if you want to skip the amp and invest your money in something really good, would be the Sensaphonics J-phonic www.j-phonic.com

Edit: Ok I didn't realise you were a college student, hmmm keep your V6's as your reference headphones then and get something else with good bass, warm, romantic etc.

Jul 20, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #18 of 47
Quote:
HD600 and DT990 (600 Ohm) are good picks.

Matrix M Stage is a top pick for headphone amps, but sound quality will suffer a little if the signal is coming straight from your macbook pro soundcard, that's why you need a DAC (it's like a high-quality external soundcard) or a DAC/Amp combo, such as the Matrix Cube or Yulong U100, just make sure whichever Dac/Amp you pick has no issues with Mac OS if that's what you're using.

HD600 and DT880 have to be the best all-rounders for the price, DT990 is excessively colored.

I would suggest coupling either of those with a Zero DAC ($100 used) instead of a Cube or U100 as all cheap solid-state amps and DACs are all built around $10 op-amps which can easily be replaced.

Jul 20, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #20 of 47
ive been in a few studios , and i have see a lot more beyerdynamics than sennheisers....wonder if that means anything as far as reference.

Jul 20, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #21 of 47
I'm actually getting a D2000 + iBasso D4 Mamba in the mail either late this week or early next week, so I can post my impressions of the two (stock) if you would like 

L3000.gif

Jul 20, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #22 of 47

Quote:
I'm actually getting a D2000 + iBasso D4 Mamba in the mail either late this week or early next week, so I can post my impressions of the two (stock) if you would like 

L3000.gif

I still have my D3 and it's upgraded to the point of no-return lol. I think it might outswing a MagicDAC at this point, but then again the two are starting to cost the same lol

Jul 20, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #23 of 47
In terms of an amp for the DT 990 don't be fooled by the 32, 250, 600ohm because they all need an amp of some kind to drive properly. The Little Dot III, Dark Voice 336, La Figaro 336, and Matrix M stage are all good imo as entry level amps for the DT 770/880/990 series. Having never listened to the DT990 I can't say that they're a better or worse buy then the Denon AH-D 2000 but I doubt you can go wrong with either as they're always contenders for the "should I buy A or B" question when it comes to more bass. The reason I bought the Denon AH-D 2000 over the DT 990 was that it seemed to have better overall bass then the DT 990 and it was $50 cheaper for a price of $210 new including shipping.  Whatever you do decide and get I'm sure you'll be happy.

While I'm not trying to tell you what to buy or anything since I'm a fanboy of no one headphone brand but--------have you seen the wood cups you can buy from Mark at Lawton Audio? My god, they're about the sexiest thing you can do to a pair of AH-D 2000's. But that's for another time, another day......another wallet killing purchase.

Jul 21, 2011 at 12:27 AM Post #25 of 47
There are some used Denon AH-D 2000s on Amazon right now for $184 plus shipping.... I'm stuck between those and the DT 990s. The 880s seem like a possibility as well but from what I've read they seem not as bass intensive. Can anyone elaborate on the differences between these cans?

Jul 21, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #26 of 47
Quote:

I would suggest coupling either of those with a Zero DAC ($100 used) instead of a Cube or U100 as all cheap solid-state amps and DACs are all built around $10 op-amps which can easily be replaced.

Is the Zero DAC a significant upgrade over a Macbook Pro soundcard? And does this mean I'll have to buy an amp at some point in the future separately to upgrade from the op-amp?

Jul 21, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #28 of 47
Quote:
Is the Zero DAC a significant upgrade over a Macbook Pro soundcard? And does this mean I'll have to buy an amp at some point in the future separately to upgrade from the op-amp?

Most definitely, in fact upgrade the op-amp to one of the highly-discussed-favorites and you have a DacMagic for the price of the Zero and op-amp. The amp is decent, it can power my 600Ohm Beyers and orthos, the major difference between the Zero and a good discrete solid-state / tube amp is body. To give you an idea I listen to a lot of electronica, dubstep and the likes with a set of Beyer DT880s and with tubes they extend lower than other notably mentioned bass-forward cans; HFI-780, D2000, Sony XB500. The benefit with colored cans like the aforementioned is you don't need to give them much juice and they will still perform, just not quite to the standards of a well powered neutral headphone.

But back to discussion of the Zero, any op-amp based DAC/amp will sound identical given they are using the same op-amp, simply because they are all built around these cheap chips. My advice would be to buy the hybrid DAC/amp and don't think about upgrading until you can afford to leave op-amp territory. Oh and in addition while I've had expensive amps and DACs I still come back to my Zero on an evening when I'm gaming or watching a movie, critical listening aside there isn't much in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back