HELP!! My baby!!@!!! dramatically reduced volume in one ear on UM2, NO WARRANTY
Jan 1, 2011 at 7:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

artistofdivine

New Head-Fier
I have had my westone UM2s for like 4 or 5 months now, and man these babies are so durable! especially the cord! so many times i've snagged it on my bike for the door or the fridge and they keep on keeping on! but at long last there is now finally a problem. I was just washing my ears out with hydrogen peroxide cause i noticed my shure triflanges being very dirty when i pulled them out my ear (and when i inserted them they were clean) and what i think MIGHT have happened is that when i tipped my head over the sink to dump out the peroxide i think my earphones might have been hanging off my shirt and some of the peroxide dripped into the piece and messed something up. But I do not know. I just really want my earphones back to equal volume. If you guys might know whats wrong with it please do tell me and if not can you please tell me where I can mail them to get fixed and how much it will cost and how i might contact westone? BTW I have no warranty I ordered them off ebay from a guy in canada.

Jan 1, 2011 at 10:01 PM Post #2 of 6
Desiccate them. If you're lucky, the filters were only lightly moistened with peroxide. If you're unlucky, some of your earwax-peroxide concoction congealed somewhere deep within the bore, and needs some intensive cleaning with a long cleaning loop of some manufacture.

This happened to my JH13s occasionally in during my nascent experiences of cleaning them with peroxide. I would just have to let them dry and they'd be fine.

Also happened to my ADDIEMs once. I was kind of miffed they dried since I missed a free replacement from Apple. 
frown.gif

Jan 1, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #3 of 6
Just let them dry out as person above stated. Also, if that doesn't work, soak the whole driver in hydrogen peroxide and vigorously shake it. Let dry for a couple of days in a box with silica gel.

Jan 1, 2011 at 10:54 PM Post #4 of 6
if that doesn't work, contact westone, i kno u said u don't have warranty, but many ppl have said their service is great and they could work something out for you given u ask in a nice way ( i think i read somwhere they charge around 40 for filter change )

Jan 1, 2011 at 10:54 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
... soak the whole driver in hydrogen peroxide and vigorously shake it. ...

That will be a very very bad idea.

It is most likely that some moisture get onto the filter. Let it dry for a few day and the sound will come back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back