Help me to choose: Fiio E7 or E11 or Hifiman601/Studio?
May 21, 2011 at 4:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

silverkaze

100+ Head-Fier
Hey I am looking to update my portable gears to pair with my earsonics sm3, currently I have an ipod video and an ipod touch 3rd generation.
My options right now are:
1)get Fiio E7 (do I need the extra dac if I am pairing it with my two ipods?, is yes, what improvements does it make?)
2)get Fiio E11
3)buy a hifiman 601 or a studio-I

which combo drives the sm3 better and is likely to give me a more clean, detailed, and liquid sound?
If I were to purchase a Fiio amp, do I need to buy cables that connect to my ipods myself or does it come with it?
I read many reviews on the products given above and they all seem to give nice perfomance, which one, in my case, works the best for me given that I own the ipod touch and video?

May 21, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #2 of 10
If you're planning on using an amp with your iPod, you will need Fiio's LOD (dock connector to line-out). It sounds much better than double-amping the headphone out.

The DAC will only work with a computer, so I'd suggest getting the E11 if you are only going to use it with your iPod. The Hifiman is a dedicated MP3 player with a more powerful amp.

May 21, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #3 of 10
 Thanks for the reply, so I will need to buy the LOD separately is that correct?
Do you have any experience on Hifiman vs Ipod + Fiio amps and impressions on the sound?
Also, what's the benefit of using the dac from E7 with a computer?

May 21, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #4 of 10
You want this LOD: http://www.fiio.com.cn/product/index.aspx?ID=12&MenuID=020303 (it's less than $20 on Amazon). This will give you a clean line-out signal to feed to an amp as it bypasses the iPod's internal amplifier (which isn't that good).

The main benefit of the E7 is the DAC. It sounds much better than the onboard sound card on most computers and is less prone to interference from your computer's internal components. It connects via USB (works on both PC's and Macs). I have used one in the past (it's on my wish list now 
smily_headphones1.gif
). The E11 is basically an E7 without the DAC. If you can afford it, just spend the extra cash on the E7 because the DAC function makes it worth it. If you end up upgrading to some high-impeadance full size cans in the future (e.g. HD650/K701/DT880), the E7's DAC will work with the more powerful E9 amplifier.

I do not have experience with the Hifiman 601, but from what I've heard, it has a very good amplifier built in. Not sure how it compares the the iPod-E7/E11 combo though.

May 21, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #5 of 10
Thanks for the clarifications, in this regard E7 wins me over the E11, E9 sounds like something I might be interested in getting in the future, now I just need to decide between the E7 or a new player.

May 21, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #6 of 10
Check out also  either Equalizer or EQu apps for your touch 3G (make sure they are compatible first). Then you can adjust the sound also.

Jun 25, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #8 of 10
- if i can of any help, i did try my SM3s with an e7. 

hated it, because it made the music cold and very artificial... the treble has been boosted far too much IMO.

Jun 27, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
first off id say read my reviews of them. (not E11 'cause FiiO seem to have stopped speaking to me)

That pretty much GUARANTEES that I will be reading any reviews you post from this point forward. Not hard to find glowing reports on cheaper kit here - significantly harder to find prose that is rooted in the cold, unforgiving soil of reality. I enjoyed your impressions of the E9, btw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back