Help me pick: Unique Melody, Lear or other CIEM for my needs?
Dec 11, 2017 at 11:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

cciissccoo

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I am looking for my first CIEM (China/HK brand preferred) and hoping you guys could help me pick a winner.

Budget: $1000 to $1200

Music I listen to:
(mainly instrumentals when possible)
Mainly- Dubstep, Chillstep, Hip Hop, Trance, Rap. I also like some- Metal, Punk, Rock, Oldies.

Sound qualities I am looking for: (sorry for the not so accurate descriptions, I’m a newb)
Killer bass! I liked the IE8 bass, but want something deeper that also extends further.
Want to feel as if the musicians are playing around me. An “immersive” experience that makes me feel as if I am somewhere else when I close my eyes.
I want the music to wrap around my head instead of being inside it.
Want a fun (warm?) sound that I can really get lost in.
Give me magic and euphoria (or some mushrooms)! hahaha

Potential CIEMs: (prefer a Chinese brand since I am in China/Hong Kong and don’t want to pay customs.)
Unique Melody Merlin (v1 or v2?)
Lear LCM BD-4.2
Nobel Dulce Bass
Open to other suggestions (non-Chinese is also fine if better bang-for-buck than Lear or UM)

Usage:
I will use these mainly while commuting on the bus or train. Might rock climb and/or go running with them.

Source:
Galaxy S7 and Macbook Pro, may upgrade to a portable DAC such as the Oppo HA-2SE if it will make a big difference. I also own a Fiio x1 2nd gen that I don’t use that much since it’s slow and clunky as my balls…. Sansa clip or iPod nano for exercise.

Source material:
Mainly FLAC and high bitrate MP3. However, I would like a noticeable improvement over my IE8 when listening to Pandora or Spotify as well.

Features I would like:
Adjustable Bass (not a deal breaker)
Excellent build quality, finish and reliability
Detachable cable

Current IEM :
My trusty IE8 (that I’ve repaired with epoxy 5 times now, all my fault) with custom molded silicone tips. The bass is pretty sweet, and I like how clear and detailed they are (sometimes too harsh) compared to cheaper IEMs. Sometimes I get the hairs on the back of my neck to stand up when listening to an awesome track. I want more of that.

Think that about covers it. Thanks!

Last edited:
May 30, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #2 of 2
Hey guys, I am looking for my first CIEM (China/HK brand preferred) and hoping you guys could help me pick a winner.

Budget: $1000 to $1200

Music I listen to:
(mainly instrumentals when possible)
Mainly- Dubstep, Chillstep, Hip Hop, Trance, Rap. I also like some- Metal, Punk, Rock, Oldies.

Sound qualities I am looking for: (sorry for the not so accurate descriptions, I’m a newb)
Killer bass! I liked the IE8 bass, but want something deeper that also extends further.
Want to feel as if the musicians are playing around me. An “immersive” experience that makes me feel as if I am somewhere else when I close my eyes.
I want the music to wrap around my head instead of being inside it.
Want a fun (warm?) sound that I can really get lost in.
Give me magic and euphoria (or some mushrooms)! hahaha

Potential CIEMs: (prefer a Chinese brand since I am in China/Hong Kong and don’t want to pay customs.)
Unique Melody Merlin (v1 or v2?)
Lear LCM BD-4.2
Nobel Dulce Bass
Open to other suggestions (non-Chinese is also fine if better bang-for-buck than Lear or UM)

Usage:
I will use these mainly while commuting on the bus or train. Might rock climb and/or go running with them.

Source:
Galaxy S7 and Macbook Pro, may upgrade to a portable DAC such as the Oppo HA-2SE if it will make a big difference. I also own a Fiio x1 2nd gen that I don’t use that much since it’s slow and clunky as my balls…. Sansa clip or iPod nano for exercise.

Source material:
Mainly FLAC and high bitrate MP3. However, I would like a noticeable improvement over my IE8 when listening to Pandora or Spotify as well.

Features I would like:
Adjustable Bass (not a deal breaker)
Excellent build quality, finish and reliability
Detachable cable

Current IEM :
My trusty IE8 (that I’ve repaired with epoxy 5 times now, all my fault) with custom molded silicone tips. The bass is pretty sweet, and I like how clear and detailed they are (sometimes too harsh) compared to cheaper IEMs. Sometimes I get the hairs on the back of my neck to stand up when listening to an awesome track. I want more of that.

Think that about covers it. Thanks!

Did you ever get your IEM? I was just at the Lear shop in Mong Kok today trying out their products. I tried the 4.2 that you mentioned but I was aiming a little lower so I was very satisfied with the 2.1. Its definitely on my radar and still trying to decide if I should Judy buy the universal, or go for my first ever custom IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back