Help me pick the best headphones! :))
Oct 8, 2012 at 9:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

ccubeice

New Head-Fier
I REALLY WANT NEW HEADPHONES! I listen to a lot of electronic music (drum and bass) and occasionally pop, rock etc. I play games as well. I have really crappy 10€ headset right now, but I don't even need a microphone. I am on a budget for new headphones and that is 43€.

I live in Estonia so there isn't anything much to choose from. But I will list everything that seems good. The webpage is here: http://www.euronics.ee/tooted/Category/SubGroupId/20/Audio_ja_video/Korvaklapid/sortBy/PriceSort/nr/2/size/50 (click "Edasi" for the next page).

I like bass, I really do, I don't want headphones with no bass. Also the headphones should work with my PC and my smartphone (both 3,5mm jack). Most importantly, the headphones should be comfortable (on-ear or over-ear).

The headphones listed:
Sony MDR-XB300 42,90€ - Good reviews about this one.
AKG K511 39,90€ - "Cheap Akg apart from K81/518 are not very good." by randomkid on head-fi.org
Sony MDR-XD200 38,90€ - seems to be low quality
Pioneer SE-M290 34,90€ - Really good reviews about this one. (http://www.head-fi.org/t/598018/pioneer-se-m290-huge-40mm-diaphragm-driver-mint)
Pioneer SE-MJ21H 33,90€ - Compared to the Pioneer SE-M290 not worth it.
Philips SHL5003/10 29,90€ - Probably 2 **** 4 reviews.

I really want to hear your opinion about these, because I don't know what to get. Thank you all for your answers, I will really appreciate it!

PS. What are Ohms and does it matter when I choose my headphones?

EDIT: I am already down to 2 headphones, still no replies?

Oct 8, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #3 of 19
Agreed, only the AKG K518 is worth it. I don't quite like the XB300, the XB500s are a much bigger step up IMO.

If you're using them for both gaming and music, I'd go for the Superlux HD668B/HD681. Pretty bassy with excellent soundstaging (basically, the depth of the sound which helps you pinpoint the direction of any particular instrument/weapon) and pretty cheap as well.

The Ohm rating is basically the impendance (read: efficiency) of the headphone. In other words, the higher the ohm rating, the more power the headphone requires to hit a certain volume. But, the ohm rating usually does NOT give an accurate sense of the actual efficiency of the headphone itself.

Oct 8, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #4 of 19
The problem is, that there aren't any Superlux headphones in Estonia, and buying from eBay / Amazon etc. is never going to happen. What's the best from my list? Sony MDR-XB300 or Pioneer SE-M290? I bet both of those are WAY better than my current headset (http://apacelli.com/computer-headset-defender/defender-hn-875/).

EDIT: Actually they are available in Estonia through ordering, the Superlux HD-681 F is 30€. But I don't know if it's worth the wait 2-4 weeks and if my mom is willing to buy something from the internet.

Oct 8, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #5 of 19
Is Ultrasone available in your part of the world, and within your budget? Any other Sony options? What about Koss?

The Ohm rating is basically the impendance (read: efficiency) of the headphone. In other words, the higher the ohm rating, the more power the headphone requires to hit a certain volume. But, the ohm rating usually does NOT give an accurate sense of the actual efficiency of the headphone itself.

The Ohm is the SI unit of electrical resistance, and when related to headphones or speakers it is used to reference nominal impedance (impedance being complex resistance in an AC system). It does not at *at all* correlate to efficiency, and it does not *at all* act as a metric of "easy to drive" - there are separate measurements for that (curiously enough called "efficiency" and "sensitivity"). Basically what impedance tells you is what kinds of amplifiers are suitable for driving your headphone - lower impedance means lower voltage and higher current demands (but remember sensitivity, you can't just have arbitrary current or voltage; so if you need X mW/ch, you only need X mW/ch) for a given power spec (power = voltage*current); higher impedance inverts it (more voltage, less current). What this means for most of us: portable devices can't swing very much voltage relative to mains powered devices, which means very high Z loads usually will have problems with portable players. So lower Z is ideal for portable (basically look at how Beats or B&W headphones spec out; they're designed for mobile use primarily). Sensitivity has to be considered as well though, in other words you can have a low Z headphone (like the AKG K701) that is fairly insensitive and will have issues with the limited power output of many portables. By contrast, there's headphones like the HD 580 that are fairly sensitive, but sit up there at 330ohms, and will equally give portable devices a problem - even though they need very little power.

Also, seeing "Ohm rating" is like nails on a chalkboard; "impedance" is the phenomenon being identified in specifications.

Oct 8, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #6 of 19
Yes, Ultrasone is available in Estonia, through ordering as well, but it is over 100€. Is it worth it to wait 2-4 weeks for Superlux HD-581 F (would order in the start of december to get it as a christmas gift) or get Sony MDR-XB300 / Pioneer SE-M290? TBH I would actually get the Superlux (it's in my budget as well). I just want your opinion guys. I've seen Superlux being reccommended to a lot of people I guess they are really that good.

If the headphones are 32 / 24 Ohm will they work with my PC / Smartphone (both have 3,5mm jack)?

Oct 8, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:
If 24-32 ohm range cans have reasonably sensitivity (higher than 95 dB) it should be no problem with most portable devices. Regarding the headphones in question - can't say I've heard Superlux models yet.
redface.gif

From Ultrasone, I like the HFI-2400; is that dramatically out of your budget?

Nope, that one isn't even available in Estonia, not even through ordering. I've most probably made my decision already and gonna get the Superlux HD-681 F :) I just think paying 43€ on Sony MDR-XB300 is a waste of money and paying ~35€ for the Superlux is reasonable for studio quality headphones. They also look nice and comfortable.

EDIT: I checked on the website and that other guy's post. He meant Superlux HD-681 not F. These are only 24.08€ + 3€-10€ shipping to my town :)) I am gonna do some research on these headphones now :)

Oct 8, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:
Nope, that one isn't even available in Estonia, not even through ordering. I've most probably made my decision already and gonna get the Superlux HD-681 F :) I just think paying 43€ on Sony MDR-XB300 is a waste of money and paying ~35€ for the Superlux is reasonable for studio quality headphones. They also look nice and comfortable.

Agreed.

Careful not to fall for "Studio Quality" advertising.

Oct 9, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:
Quote:
Just throwing out a warning: the HD681F is the bass-light version of the HD681.

Many thanks, bro. And WOW they charge more money for taking away the bass!

Actually they take away the bass, boost the treble, increase the soundstage and made the mids much more in-your-face. Perfect for professional gaming and instrumental music, but no so much for hip hop and rap and all that jazz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back