Help me pick high end open backs
Jan 30, 2024 at 12:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

username643827

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everybody, Iam looking fo High End open backs. (500-1000euros) Here are a few a picked and let me know witch one is the best! :smile_phones:

HiFiMAN Edition XS -500EU

HiFiMAN Ananda Nano - 599EU

HiFiMAN Arya Stealth - 999EU

Audeze LCD-2 Classic - 700EU

Audeze LCD-2 Rosewood - 999EU

Source: Topping E50 L50 stack - 24bit 192khz FLAC

sound signatures that i like/prefer: Balanced, Neutral, Flat, Bright, Sparkly

use case: mainly music (Jazz)

Jan 30, 2024 at 8:23 PM Post #2 of 7
Hello everybody, Iam looking fo High End open backs. (500-1000euros) Here are a few a picked and let me know witch one is the best! :smile_phones:

HiFiMAN Edition XS -500EU

HiFiMAN Ananda Nano - 599EU

HiFiMAN Arya Stealth - 999EU

Audeze LCD-2 Classic - 700EU

Audeze LCD-2 Rosewood - 999EU

Source: Topping E50 L50 stack - 24bit 192khz FLAC

use case: mainly music (Jazz)
Out of those options (considered mid-fi), the Arya Stealth is probably your best bet.

Jan 31, 2024 at 6:44 AM Post #4 of 7
Hmm, I have L50, and as I remember, it is extremely warm sounding.
Ok, then it does make sense to pick bright-sounding headphones.
But if you want at the end a bright and sparkly sound...I am not sure if you will have that with the L50 combo.

Cheers!

Jan 31, 2024 at 7:43 AM Post #5 of 7
Hmm, I have L50, and as I remember, it is extremely warm sounding.
Ok, then it does make sense to pick bright-sounding headphones.
But if you want at the end a bright and sparkly sound...I am not sure if you will have that with the L50 combo.

Cheers!
Thanks for letting me know :) But sometimes its hard for me to get the sound that i want beucause we barely have any audiophile local retailers and shipping from the US is a nightmare to me so that why i mostly have Chi-fi stuff :)

and also I just wrote that if anybody would recomend sparkly headphones in this price range.

Jan 31, 2024 at 10:21 AM Post #6 of 7
that why i mostly have Chi-fi stuff :)
I love Chi Fi stuff! Don't get me wrong.
I replaced L50 with E70 (paired with A90D) not because it was not good; it was the same reason you mentioned: I wanted a more non-coloured sound.

I think your stack is great; it just might be too warm if you prefer a brighter sound.

But when you choose brighter headphones, you will see that if you want a brighter DAC, perhaps it may give you the perfect sound you want.

I just mentioned it as something that you have in mind :)

After all, too bright a combo is not the best option for listening only to jazz.
If you consider trumpets, like Miles Davis...hmm, a sharp combination of DAC/Amp/headphones might not be good either.

I would also consider looking for a U-shape signature; a V-shape could also be painful for jazz.

You are on a good path anyway. L50, after all, is maybe a good start :)

Good luck!

Cheers!

P.S. Have you considered IEMs as an option too? They are pretty good too.

Jan 31, 2024 at 12:54 PM Post #7 of 7
I love Chi Fi stuff! Don't get me wrong.
I replaced L50 with E70 (paired with A90D) not because it was not good; it was the same reason you mentioned: I wanted a more non-coloured sound.

I think your stack is great; it just might be too warm if you prefer a brighter sound.

But when you choose brighter headphones, you will see that if you want a brighter DAC, perhaps it may give you the perfect sound you want.

I just mentioned it as something that you have in mind :)

After all, too bright a combo is not the best option for listening only to jazz.
If you consider trumpets, like Miles Davis...hmm, a sharp combination of DAC/Amp/headphones might not be good either.

I would also consider looking for a U-shape signature; a V-shape could also be painful for jazz.

You are on a good path anyway. L50, after all, is maybe a good start :)

Good luck!

Cheers!

P.S. Have you considered IEMs as an option too? They are pretty good too.
Yeah Im also in the IEM community but my biggest problem with IEMs are the soundstage, it bassicly doesnt exist and also the fit, there are very few tips that fit me I personally almost all the time use triple flange sillicone tips beucase they fit good and isolate nicely. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back