Help me pick a new set of phones?
Sep 19, 2010 at 12:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

seniorfuzzy

New Head-Fier
Same as most, I'm a long-time browser, first time poster on the forums. I could really use anyones advice. I'm looking to break open the piggy bank and get myself a set of headphones I can be proud of now and despair at later when they die. Help me, Head-fiers, please.

I'm looking for something that doesnt leak much noise, since I will occasionally use them portable and in public places like the library and stuff, but honest to god, if the best choices are open, I'm all for them. For the most part, I'm not looking to use an amp, and my main source is atm a sansa e200v2 rockboxed and a cellphone, soon gonna be a rockboxed Fuze v2. My taste in music covers mostly rock/metal, classical, J-pop, and some random stuff that isnt worth mentioning since it only covers 1 or 2 songs.

My only headphones up til now have been Skullcandy Hesh, Sennheiser HD201/205, and ATH-ES7, as well miscellaneous crappy buds. My budget runs about 300$ and down, but if there's something that outclasses them all, I'll shoot for 500$.

After flying around similar boards, I've narrowed it down to these for no particular reason but their high (ish) recommendations, and no particular order

ATH-M50     (couldnt figure out if they are just "flavor of the year" or legitimately good)

SRH 750

HFI 780/680

ath-a900

ath-esw9a

d2000

HD555/650

HD25

RS2

SR 325

Honestly, I probably have no idea about the pros/cons of any of these. If anyone would care to enlighten me about which of these suits my tastes more I'd really appreciate it.

Sep 19, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #3 of 4
Welcome to Head-Fi. 

If just wanting 1 set of headphones for dual portable / home use with a budget of ~$300, then FWIR I suggest considering the HD25-1 II and a portable amp. 

Another way of going about this is to get 2 sets of headphones, one for portable and the other for home. If going this route, I suggest first determining how much you'll be spending on the portable / library solution, so your home use budget is known. 

What equipment will you be plugging into at home?

Sep 19, 2010 at 10:35 PM Post #4 of 4
Thanks for the response!

Any recommendations on the amp? Or is the Fiio 5 good on the dual option?

Honestly, I'm open to either getting 2 separate headphones or 1 dual-purpose, but I'm more partial to getting 1 headphone for all. I'd guess my budget would run something around 100 on home, 200 on the portable on the first option since the source is mostly still gonna be the Fuze. At home, the source is a crappy laptop with some Soundmax HD Audio standard thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back