Help me Pair cans with a LittleDot MKIII
Nov 15, 2012 at 9:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Pual

New Head-Fier
Alrighty so, heres where I am at:

I have a good dedicated source - a Denon CD player as my main use.

I have a littledot mkIII coming in with broken in amperex tubes (used here on head-fi!!)

I am looking for a pair of headphones under $400 to pair with this setup for use mainly for complicated metal and experimental jazz listening.

I have a weird taste in music, so its tough to find reviews for things specifically.
Examples:

I admittedly don't know a *ton* about headphones, but have some experience (I have had a ffio e7/e9 combo, ultrasone hd-750's, and had/sold grado rs-2's - but dont like closed, and I currently use modded grado sr-80i's as my main headphones as my ultrasones are used for gaming and on the road, though my girlfriend might be buying them haha..

I really want punchy, defined bass, and really be able to hear everything happening in the mid range, I dont like anything too bright as it gives me a headache.

Hoping anyone can help that has experience with this amp/similar amps, as im not experienced at pairing amps to headphones.

Ones I've been looking at:

HE-400
AKG Q-701
Beyerdynamic DT 880

Thanks for any suggestions! Id prefer 2-300 range, but willing to go 400 if its going to "futureproof" my purchase and I wont want to upgrade in a year.

Nov 16, 2012 at 8:19 AM Post #2 of 4
Heya,

The LDMKIII is better matched with impedance ratings of 300/600ohms. It outputs low power at lower impedance levels. It's not a good match for an ortho like the HE400, even though it's relatively efficient. I would also not put it on the lower impedance AKG's either. Instead, I would put you more towards the Sennheiser HD600, Beyer DT880.

Very best,

Nov 16, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:
Heya,

The LDMKIII is better matched with impedance ratings of 300/600ohms. It outputs low power at lower impedance levels. It's not a good match for an ortho like the HE400, even though it's relatively efficient. I would also not put it on the lower impedance AKG's either. Instead, I would put you more towards the Sennheiser HD600, Beyer DT880.

Very best,

I was looking at the DT880's, how punchy is the bass? Seems like mids and highs would be perfect based on some reviews ive seen.
Also - sweet pipe (looks like a peterson?) Ive been known to enjoy some briar from time to time :D (thread hijack!)

Nov 16, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #4 of 4
Upon further investigation - found used (like new condition) DT 990 600 ohms on amazon - and having prime, Ill get them by tuesday.

The 880 looked about perfect though I prefer a little more bass sometimes, and that seemed ideal.

Thanks for the suggestions :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back