help me find the perfect phones, i'm too picky!!!
Nov 8, 2010 at 11:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

CaptainDesslock

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I registered here because I am on the slippery slope of seeking headphone nirvana and I can't do it on my own, nor have the money to shell out for expensive headphone after headphone.  My sudden need for better cans came after seeing my favourite band Muse live, the explosions of sound I took in blew my mind, every time Matt Bellamy went off on his guitar it was like the clap of thunder.  Now everything I listen to bores me, my ath-m50's seem so dull, so I would greatly appreciate your help, I will try to provide as much detail as possible.

I can spend up to ~$300 for the headphones, I probably will only be able to purchase a fio e7 for an amp, I like to listen to music around the house with my ipod (i know) but I only use 320K or lossless wav so the audio quality is still pretty good.  

What I am looking for-

Bass-I love classical music, I need to feel the bassy roar of the pipe organ in Bach's little fugue and the crawl-up-your-spine tingle of the double bass in Beethoven's 9th

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO8i5D2uz84

Punch in the face mids-Like I said, the clap of thunder, I need some cans that'll squeal and grind when needed, I need to hear the searing fuzz factory riffage, something that'll really bring the kick of a live guitar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKk1ICgg4YQ

Soundstage-So very important, and why I tend to dislike grados.  I had the pleasure of owning ath-m40's and the soundstage was gorgeous, when I listened to Jeff Buckley, it sounded like he was playing, singing, breathing, right next to me, it was a spiritual experience.  When I listened to Enya, it was like I was drifting in oceans of melody.  Soundstage is very crucial.

From my previous experience with headphones I greatly dislike Sony's in general, ATH-40's produce beautiful wide sounds but no punch or aggression, Seinheisers just bore me, and grados have the kick but no soundstage (which is kinda sad,  because I really want to like them, but I can't, do any Grados rectify this?)

From some reviews I've read, I am moving towards Beyerdynamic Dt990, is there a real difference in quality between the amp-driven 600ohm and the 32ohm versions?

Thank you for your consideration

Nov 9, 2010 at 1:10 AM Post #2 of 20
I think you're on the right track. I have the DT880/600ohm and they do have fairly aggressive  mids which do rock/metal well, although nothing is as Grado as Grado. And the soundstage is phenomenal when driven properly. I've only heard the DT990 once so can't comment much about the sound. They supposedly have more bass though. Based on your preferences I'd stay away from the 600 ohm version. The fio e7 won't even come close to driving them properly. Just my 2 cents.

Oh...and Welcome to head-fi!

Nov 9, 2010 at 2:02 AM Post #3 of 20
yeah probably Beyer.  I can't think of anything else.  Although I'm kind of mystified as to why the M50's bore you.  I can understand not liking them for whatever reason, but boring doesn't seem like a word that fits their sound.  They're pretty intense.  Maybe you want more treble though. 

Nov 9, 2010 at 2:32 AM Post #4 of 20
Beyers are good for you. There is no difference in resistances atleast for the DT880s. Dunno about the DT990s. If you have a good amp go for the 600s, if not buy the lower ohms. 

Nov 9, 2010 at 7:02 AM Post #5 of 20
ok thanks for the advice i am really leaning towards the beyers,

what is the  cheapest decent amp you would reccomnend? are there any decent portable ones? Last question are there any grados with a good soundstage?

Thanks for the advice-

Nov 9, 2010 at 11:28 AM Post #6 of 20
i recommend some open ultrasone like hfi 2200 or pro 2500.. because i find them have a solid impact and aggressiveness with fairly big sound stage..

Nov 9, 2010 at 6:05 PM Post #7 of 20
I'd say the 990s.  They have more bass and a larger soundstage than the 880s.

Nov 9, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #8 of 20
Euhhh Bach's Little Fugue? For Organ? Thats not really specific
biggrin.gif
!

Nov 9, 2010 at 7:30 PM Post #9 of 20
thanks for all your responses,

I have heard some things about Grados with the g-cush whatevers having a greatly improved soundstage, any take on that? I have also been hearing good things of Allesandros so your opinions would be helpful.

Nov 9, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #10 of 20

Quote:

I have heard some things about Grados with the g-cush whatevers having a greatly improved soundstage, any take on that? I have also been hearing good things of Allesandros so your opinions would be helpful.

All the grados I've heard including Allesandros are bad with soundstage. Well.... not BAD, but its preference. They have a really in your face sound. Its clean and good separation, great mids. But if you want to feel like the sound is coming away from your head feeling then they aren't good for it. 

Nov 9, 2010 at 8:54 PM Post #11 of 20

Quote:

I have beat this horse to death here.  The G-Cush improves the soundstage of the Grados.  If you like the soundstaging of Senns but would like warmer bass, not so aggressive highs like stock Grados, and fun to listen to, well, try one of the Prestige series (I have the 325is) with the G-Cush and see what you think.  The G-Cush can fit all Grados AFAIK.  For me, it's an improvement since I listen to classical music as well.  I'm fortunate in that I have a Grado dealer that can demo these things.  Oh, yeah, the G-Cush is more comfortable.  I give up.  (not really) 

Nov 10, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #12 of 20

I was thinking you might like the DT-880 600 ohm. Don't bother with the 32 or 250 ohm versions. I HATED the 32 ohm version. The bass probably isn't quite what you're looking for. Nevermind, I forgot the part about the E7. This definitely need a desktop amp. DT-880 250 ohm MIGHT be ok, but the 32 ohm isn't any easier to drive really.

My favorite headphone for classical with a decent amount of bass (more then the DT-880 600 ohm anyway) is the AKG k240 studio. It's one of my favorites for classical music. It's one of the few headphones that has more then enough bass AND great mids. This is usually quite rare. It's also semi-open and extremely comfortable. Except for the bass, neutral headphones never really WOW anyone.

I wonder how the D2000 is with classical? Most say the mids are recessed, but I find the mids better then the M50 to my ears. They're just a fun headphone. One of the few that may just WOW a lot of people (even me)! For a closed headphone the soundstage is very good. It's rolled off highs are probably a no go for classical. I need to try it out. Everyone in the world seems to suggest the HD-600 for classical, so why not the D2000?

My HD-600 is quite boring at times and too laid back for me to really enjoy a lot. I still find it to be a good headphone. In comparison, the D2000 is nowhere near boring or laid back, but some may disagree. It's a good match to go with my k601.

Nov 10, 2010 at 6:30 AM Post #14 of 20
He said he wanted punch in the face mids. Beyers have gentle cheek rub mids. HD580/600 would be the way to go. When I compared the 880/600 directly with my HD580, the 580 produced low notes that the 880 couldn't. Parts of the pipe organ might not translate as well with the 880. The 880 is a great headphone, but I'm not sure its exactly what he is looking for. Soundstage will obviously be better than the Sennheiser.

tdockweiler, I am surprised you find the 600 boring at times. Maybe its synergy with my amp, but my HD580 is pretty aggressive. Much more so than the 880.

Nov 10, 2010 at 11:38 AM Post #15 of 20

You don't think the DT-880 600 had punch in the face mids? I felt they had the best mids out of anything i've tried from Beyer. I guess they still don't fall into that category for me. I do agree that the HD-600 had better mids, but overall it's a headphone I have a hard time enjoying, but I still love it. Strangely when I hooked my HD-600 up to my Schiit Asgard with a good dac and replaced the cable (with the HD-650 version) it was a bit less laid back. I don't know how this is really. I actually find my k601 more fun if you can believe that! Those have "punch in the face mids" for sure, but not enough bass for some people. Most people will hate to hear this, but I prefer now my new D2000 to my HD-600! I'm not even remotely a basshead.

Quote:
He said he wanted punch in the face mids. Beyers have gentle cheek rub mids. HD580/600 would be the way to go. When I compared the 880/600 directly with my HD580, the 580 produced low notes that the 880 couldn't. Parts of the pipe organ might not translate as well with the 880. The 880 is a great headphone, but I'm not sure its exactly what he is looking for. Soundstage will obviously be better than the Sennheiser.

tdockweiler, I am surprised you find the 600 boring at times. Maybe its synergy with my amp, but my HD580 is pretty aggressive. Much more so than the 880.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back