Help me find a realistic amp for $800 or less
Oct 4, 2011 at 11:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Lumify

New Head-Fier
I'm returning my defective La Figaro 339, and I'm looking for a new amp.

I listen to all music. If I don't listen to it, I want to find it and listen to it. I'm currently using a Fiio E7 as a dedicated DAC, with Sennheiser HD650s. However, I plan to upgrade both soon, so I'm not looking for equipment synergy. I want an amp that will show the surrounding equipment for what it is. I've read that some amps are better for some impedance levels than others, but I don't know much about this. Perhaps someone can clarify.

I don't want an exciting amp, I don't want a laid-back amp, I don't want an "accurate" or "precise" (in the way that head-fiers abuse the terms) amp, I don't want a smooth amp, I don't want a sharp amp, and I don't want a "fun" amp. I want an amp that doesn't make me think of how the amp is affecting the audio so I can focus on the rest of the gear (and the music). Maybe I'm asking a lot from $800.

Let this thread be brutally honest and discriminating. Let this be not only a suggestion dump, but a critical discussion based on neutrality and realism. Go go go!

Oct 4, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #2 of 15
Sounds like the CEntrance DACmini

Dac and efficient amp built in. 

There's a couple of people in the thread that have had good luck with that combo, not to mention you get a killer DAC/preamp in one package.

Oct 5, 2011 at 1:38 AM Post #3 of 15
The HA-160, which is known as a reference headamp, is neutral (maybe a lil on the warm side)

Oct 5, 2011 at 4:40 AM Post #4 of 15
The new Dynalo for $300 is a good choice. Neutral, clean and has no signature of its own. No caps in the signal path and 1W of power, too. The circuit has been built by lots of DIY'ers and has no issues. You don't have to spend $800 for a good amp. You might want to see how few Dynalo/Gilmore Lite (about the same thing) come up for sale and how quickly they go. There's a reason for that.

If you have $800 to spend, I'd get a Dynalo and spend the rest on something really fun, like a used Rega Planar 3/P3. The Dynalo is plenty good and you'll have a load of fun spinning vinyl.

Oct 5, 2011 at 1:13 PM Post #5 of 15
What about the Beta22? is it considered to be neutral? 

Oct 5, 2011 at 1:56 PM Post #6 of 15
Oct 5, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #7 of 15
You're not asking a lot for $800. You can get neutral amps for $200. You pay more for coloration and bragging rights.

For amp and DAC, which should be what you aim for at this price range, consider the CEntrance DACport or DACmini, Matrix Quattro (the amp/DAC, not standalone amp) and Yulong D100. All of these should have more than enough power for any realistic volume, include as good a DAC as you'll ever need, and offer transparent sound.

Oct 5, 2011 at 2:22 PM Post #8 of 15

Quote:

Almost!

no headphone out though.

to the OP, are you going to at least consider the CEntrance DACmini?

It's as natural and realistic as you can get for 800 big ones.

Oct 5, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #10 of 15
Yay replies! It's been a busy day, but now that I'm at work, I have some time to waste on the internet.

I'm looking at the CEntrance DACmini as an option. From the impressions I've read so far, it looks like a good buy. I wasn't really thinking of an integrated amp/DAC, but I'm in the perfect position to get one. I like how the DACmini has USB in, coax in, spdif in, line in, AND line out. I could use it as either a dedicated DAC or a dedicated amp if needed. This is important to me if I get an integrated device because I come in contact with a variety of audio equipment. I have yet to check out the other two amps Head Injury mentioned.

I don't really need to spend $800; it's just the upper limit. I realize price isn't always correlated to quality, so I'm interested in the Dynalo. In your opinion(s), would I be better off hunting down one of those and putting the rest of my money into my future headphone budget, or reaching for one of those upper spending range amps now and delay upgrading my headphones?

Oct 8, 2011 at 1:25 AM Post #11 of 15
You may want to consider the littledot mk6+ too, within your budget. Not neutral, but smooth and most of all realistic.

Oct 9, 2011 at 2:58 AM Post #12 of 15
I've read around a little bit, and I saw one thread that was really hating on the CEntrance Mini's amp. They're saying that it's just a DAC with an amp built into the side of it. I've also heard that it doesn't have the power to drive high impedance headphones, like the Sennheiser HD650 for example. Has anyone tried it with high impedance headphones?

I certainly don't want to get a super-powered amp and have to keep the volume really low. When I do that, there are all sorts of channel imbalance issues, which I notice easily and instantly.

Oct 9, 2011 at 10:02 AM Post #13 of 15

Quote:
I've read around a little bit, and I saw one thread that was really hating on the CEntrance Mini's amp. They're saying that it's just a DAC with an amp built into the side of it. I've also heard that it doesn't have the power to drive high impedance headphones, like the Sennheiser HD650 for example. Has anyone tried it with high impedance headphones?

I certainly don't want to get a super-powered amp and have to keep the volume really low. When I do that, there are all sorts of channel imbalance issues, which I notice easily and instantly.

From what I've read on the CEntrance DACmini thread, the 650s should be fine.  There was review on 6moons recently where the reviewer confirmed a selection of headphones had more than enough power through the amp.

It won a 6moons award:

"Headfiers would find that HifiMan's HE-500, Sennheiser's HD800, AKG's K-702 and Audez'e LCD-2 will all sit between 12:30 and 2:00 on the dial. There's plenty of drive and gain on hand—more in fact than in big-rig mode—which combines with lucidity that with headphones seems nearly more developed yet."

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/centrance/1.html

Oct 9, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #14 of 15

Quote:

I don't want an exciting amp, I don't want a laid-back amp, I don't want an "accurate" or "precise" (in the way that head-fiers abuse the terms) amp, I don't want a smooth amp, I don't want a sharp amp, and I don't want a "fun" amp. I want an amp that doesn't make me think of how the amp is affecting the audio so I can focus on the rest of the gear (and the music). Maybe I'm asking a lot from $800.

Let this thread be brutally honest and discriminating. Let this be not only a suggestion dump, but a critical discussion based on neutrality and realism. Go go go!

So, you want brutal honesty and absolute accuracy, for under $800 ? Look no further ..... 
very_evil_smiley.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/565821/so-the-objective2-headphone-amp-designed-entirely-around-the-measurements-please-read-rules-before-posting

I'd be super careful what I wish for, but I'll give you this - yours is the clearest description of exactly what it is you want that I've seen on Head-Fi, and remains the only request where you explicitly dont want any element of 'fun' in the sound. nwavguy (possibly) has more enemies than friends here, but he claims his design is the closest you will find to 'wire with gain'.

(this is a DiY amp, but with a projected parts cost under $100, you have $700 left to commission someone to build one for you !)

Oct 12, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #15 of 15
I don't mean to revive a dead thread, but one more question.

If the Objective2 is so deadly accurate, what do the other expensive amps like the CEntrance DACmini have for the extra money? Is it really only coloration and bragging rights?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back