help me chose with ~ $40 budget: SR850 vs. UR55 vs. RP-HTF600-S vs. ??
Jan 13, 2012 at 7:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

asymptote

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm wanting to pick up my first set of headphones which cost more than $10. I listen to alot of rock and early punk, some metal and hardcore, a little rap and electronic. I have a echo indigo IO soundcard, an unamplified sansa clip, and occasionally I'll use it on a built in soundcard or tablet headphone out. I also might use the headphones on a keyboard or through the headphone out on my guitar amp, a mixer, or from the line out on my fishman pickup. I may try pluging them into my old Sansui receiver , or one of the other receivers I have around the house. I have a small LP collection.

I read quite a bit of reviews from the shootout of 96 headphones, but decided against the Prodipe phones after reading they break easily. I want something that won't break easily. Right now I'm considering the SR850, the UR55, and the  RP-HTF-600-S.

I rank the appearance of the phones: SR850's > UR55 > RP-HTF-600-S. ( As far as aesthetics are concerned, I like the appearance of AT's and Grado the best. ) I like the lifetime warranty of the UR55, and could not find any warranty information regarding the SR850's. I read somewhere the RP-HTF-600-S has only a 90 day warranty. I haven't read of too many issues on any of these phones, but a warranty is nice. I like how the cord comes out of one side of the SR850s unlike the others. I believe it has less of a chance of catching and tearing.

Sorry to ask another ranking for a cheap set. I tried very hard to make a decision on my own, and right now I'm leaning towards the SR850's, with UR55 a close second. Any other phones at ~$40 or less I should be considering? Should I just go ahead and purchase the SR850's?

Jan 13, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #2 of 33

Quote:
Hi,

I'm wanting to pick up my first set of headphones which cost more than $10. I listen to alot of rock and early punk, some metal and hardcore, a little rap and electronic. I have a echo indigo IO soundcard, an unamplified sansa clip, and occasionally I'll use it on a built in soundcard or tablet headphone out. I also might use the headphones on a keyboard or through the headphone out on my guitar amp, a mixer, or from the line out on my fishman pickup. I may try pluging them into my old Sansui receiver , or one of the other receivers I have around the house. I have a small LP collection.

I read quite a bit of reviews from the shootout of 96 headphones, but decided against the Prodipe phones after reading they break easily. I want something that won't break easily. Right now I'm considering the SR850, the UR55, and the  RP-HTF-600-S.

I rank the appearance of the phones: SR850's > UR55 > RP-HTF-600-S. ( As far as aesthetics are concerned, I like the appearance of AT's and Grado the best. ) I like the lifetime warranty of the UR55, and could not find any warranty information regarding the SR850's. I read somewhere the RP-HTF-600-S has only a 90 day warranty. I haven't read of too many issues on any of these phones, but a warranty is nice. I like how the cord comes out of one side of the SR850s unlike the others. I believe it has less of a chance of catching and tearing.

Sorry to ask another ranking for a cheap set. I tried very hard to make a decision on my own, and right now I'm leaning towards the SR850's, with UR55 a close second. Any other phones at ~$40 or less I should be considering? Should I just go ahead and purchase the SR850's?

I'd go for the Samson, but you do know they're open, right?

Jan 14, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #4 of 33
I own the Samson SR850 (made by Superlux) and Panasonic RP-HTF600-S.
I prefer the HTF600, it has more bass then the SR850.

Jan 14, 2012 at 2:43 AM Post #5 of 33

Quote:
I own the Samson SR850 (made by Superlux) and Panasonic RP-HTF600-S.
I prefer the HTF600, it has more bass then the SR850.

I'm not a bass head :wink: but I do like Panasonic products. I am more familiar with Panasonic's quality than Samson. However, from the pictures I've seen I don't care for the looks of the RP-HTF600-S. I'm going to stick to with the SR850 choice for the moment. I'll probably order Sunday night or early Monday, unless I find another set I like better. Thanks for chiming in.

Jan 14, 2012 at 3:11 AM Post #6 of 33

Quote:
I'm not a bass head :wink: but I do like Panasonic products. I am more familiar with Panasonic's quality than Samson. However, from the pictures I've seen I don't care for the looks of the RP-HTF600-S. I'm going to stick to with the SR850 choice for the moment. I'll probably order Sunday night or early Monday, unless I find another set I like better. Thanks for chiming in.

Best price for the Samson SR850 seems to be on eBay, $39.95

Jan 14, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #9 of 33

Quote:
Asavings.com has it for the same price but if you register with them first, they'll give you a 10% coupon for first time buyer.  I got mine for $36 shipped.

Hi thanks. I actually saw your post in a search. I regged with their savings email yesterday,  but have not as of yet received the coupon. Did you get your set in the mail yet? Are you happy with your purchase? Anything about the warranty in there? Do they seem well built?

Jan 14, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #10 of 33

Quote:
Hi thanks. I actually saw your post in a search. I regged with their savings email yesterday,  but have not as of yet received the coupon. Did you get your set in the mail yet? Are you happy with your purchase? Anything about the warranty in there? Do they seem well built?

The Samson SR850 (made by Superlux) are a mostly plastic headphone, would not take as much wear tear and abuse as a Beyerdynamic DT.
My Superlux HD-668B stopped working after less then two months.
To me the SR850 is still the second best bargain in a headphone.

Jan 14, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #11 of 33
Do you consider the HTF the first? can you compare the build quality of SR850 to RP-HTF-600-S?

Quote:
The Samson SR850 (made by Superlux) are a mostly plastic headphone, would not take as much wear tear and abuse as a Beyerdynamic DT.
My Superlux HD-668B stopped working after less then two months.
To me the SR850 is still the second best bargain in a headphone.

Jan 15, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #12 of 33

Quote:
Do you consider the HTF the first? can you compare the build quality of SR850 to RP-HTF-600-S?

Both headphones are very plastic, the SR850 headband is a bit better then the HTF600.
The SR850 is as a whole seems a little more solid then the HTF600.

Jan 15, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #13 of 33
SAMSON SR850 RULES!
beyersmile.png
  I'm loving mine. Still didn't get AKG K 240 velour ear pads but the stock are not that bad as some people sad.

Jan 15, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #14 of 33
I had the Panasonics briefly.  When I first got them, I thought they were great.  Then, it wore off.  They have what I call the "tin can" midrange syndrome.  It took extensive eq'ing to make them sound ok. 

Jan 15, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #15 of 33

Quote:

You may want to chat with the sale rep about the coupon.  The website has a chat box on lower right corner.  After registration, I didn't get my coupon either until I talked to them so I guess that the coupon might not be automatic but they will give us a coupon if we inquire for it. 

Build is OK for a $40 set of headphones.  I also have the htf600 and I think build is comparable for both with the Pany being a little nicer looking.  One thing you may want to take into account is that the pads on the sr850 are not thick enough so it may press against your ears.  Those on the Pany are thicker so I would say that comfort is better on the Pany.

Samson offers one year warranty for the headphones so that's pretty much standard.

I haven't had much time to compare the two but I think the Pany is more forgiving with poor recorded materials.  The sr850's have more forward mid and are brighter sounding.  Bass is comparable with both having a lot of mid bass but being not very extended.  I have a feeling that the sr850's has a little more bass and I think this make sense because they press closer to the ears (pads not very thick).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back