Help me choose the best headphone for me (OverEar, closed)
Jul 6, 2012 at 10:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

thefiend1

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

Im pretty new to the forums, and have looked over several reviews on over the ear headphones. Unfortunatly there is really no way to tell which one will be best for you unless you hear them in person.

Right now I have been on my Bose Tri-port headphones that are pretty much out of commission. The earpads are pretty much worn down to nothin. Even though I could replace the earpads, id like to see what else is out there. I really appreciate good sounding equipment - The Bose Tri-Ports are "great sounding" if you arent used to hearing things that are better - and lately ive been appreciating the sound out of my new, huge, Klipsch speakers in my home theater and would like to get really good quality headphones that are around my budget.

Ive been seeing alot of good things about open faced headphones, but those wont work for me because I mainly use them in the office which I share with another person. So closed headphones would be my only option. I was originally looking at getting the Bose QC15 or the new Klipsch M40 headphones, both of which are noise canceling but I dont need ones that necessarily perform those functions, but I would like to stay within those realms price wise (within $350).

So heres what Im looking for:

-The type of music I listen to is mainly film soundtracks (i work in the film industry), and a mix of other things ranging from post-hardcore to folk music... So I need something thats really going to make the music come alive for me when listening to these tracks. Right now listening to the Bose Tri, leaves alot to be desired, it doesnt feel alive enough, very flat.

-Closed Back

-Within $350

Edit: Also, I listen to music mainly through my ipod/ipad. At home I have more... professional equipment for that :wink:

Thanks in advance everyone!

Edited again for spelling failz

Jul 6, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #2 of 16
bump!
beerchug.gif

Jul 7, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #3 of 16
Something that works straight out of the iPad & iPod.
AKG K550
Audio Technica ATH-A900X

Jul 7, 2012 at 2:55 AM Post #4 of 16
Great, thanks!

What about if I were considering using a small portable amp to use from the iPad/iPod to the cans? I really would like to consider all options within or very close to my budget.

Thanks again!

Jul 7, 2012 at 8:34 AM Post #5 of 16
You will be hard pressed to find anything better than the fiio e17 for a small portable amp. 

gL!!

Jul 7, 2012 at 10:35 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:
What about if I were considering using a small portable amp to use from the iPad/iPod to the cans? I really would like to consider all options within or very close to my budget.

Fiio E11 portable headphone amplifier.

K550 and ATH-A900X still recommended.

Jul 13, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #7 of 16
Hey Guys,

I decided to pull the trigger on the AKG K550, I just got it in today.

Upon plugging it in, im not immediatly impressed. Is there a certain amount of "burn-in time" for these babies or is that a poo-poo theory?

Thanks,
ryan

Jul 13, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #8 of 16
Burn in is a good idea for the K550s.  Also, if you are used to Bose's boosted bass, the K550s will sound thin when you listen for the first time.  So give your brain some time to burn in as well.

Jul 13, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:
Upon plugging it in, I'm not immediately impressed. Is there a certain amount of "burn-in time" for these babies or is that a poo-poo theory?

I would say plug the K550s into the iPod or iPad, turn the volume up and put the K550 under a blanket for a night or two.

Jul 24, 2012 at 4:30 AM Post #10 of 16

Upon plugging it in, im not immediatly impressed. Is there a certain amount of "burn-in time" for these babies or is that a poo-poo theory?

Ive been looking at the k550, do you like them much better now that youve burned them in?

Jul 24, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #11 of 16
I do like them alot - the headphones are very detailed and balanced and does pretty well at canceling out some of the surrounding noise. The only thing about these is that they are huge and it does take alittle bit of fiddling to get the right seal, I think in any headphone you have to situate them in order to get said seal, but I find I have to spend alittle more time doing that with this one. No bid deal, I got used to it.

Plus they look really sleek with the brushed metal.

smile_phones.gif

Jul 25, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #13 of 16
It may or may not work. I have a huge head.... so it worked ok for me. I ordered mine from Amazon and they have a pretty good return policy - in case it doesnt fit right and you need to return it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back