Help me choose my first tube amp and DAC?
Oct 25, 2022 at 6:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

sonicm

100+ Head-Fier
I want to buy my first desktop tube amp. The thing is, I don't have a dedicated DAC so I'll need to get one of those too. I'd like to spend about $600-700.

I was looking at the xDuoo TA-30 Tube AMP/Dac combo for $600. It looks like it might be a great choice, although it's a little obscure.

I was also thinking about Schiit Modius (229) + Schiit Valhalla (399) combo. I stepped away from the community for a long time and just returned, so I'm not familiar with Schiit really at all, though.

Thought? Suggestions? Anything you need to get off your chest?

Oct 25, 2022 at 7:00 PM Post #2 of 21
Schiit makes good products, and you can't go wrong with them. I have a Vali 2++ amp, a Loki Mini equalizer and a Modi 3+ DAC. I'm happy with all three. My set up is modest. You can go up from there.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2022 at 7:16 PM Post #3 of 21
Nov 19, 2022 at 9:20 PM Post #4 of 21
Last edited:
Feb 17, 2023 at 6:02 AM Post #7 of 21
I want to buy my first desktop tube amp. The thing is, I don't have a dedicated DAC so I'll need to get one of those too. I'd like to spend about $600-700.

I was looking at the xDuoo TA-30 Tube AMP/Dac combo for $600. It looks like it might be a great choice, although it's a little obscure.

I was also thinking about Schiit Modius (229) + Schiit Valhalla (399) combo. I stepped away from the community for a long time and just returned, so I'm not familiar with Schiit really at all, though.

Thought? Suggestions? Anything you need to get off your chest?
Schiit and Xduo are pretty much your best options in that price range.

Feb 17, 2023 at 6:11 AM Post #8 of 21
Schiit and Xduo are pretty much your best options in that price range.
there is now difference in sound from big valued amp. i hsve cheap 50€ 2tube china amp and compared to my 550€ ta-22 difference small . you can buy 50-80€ cheap amp from aliexpress with 2 tubes , change stock tube for better ones such psvane art, tungsol,jj electrics and you ate ready for highest sound music listen.

Mar 2, 2023 at 9:59 PM Post #9 of 21
I've been looking to switch it up and move into tubes myself. I have always had my eye on xDuoo and love the solid aluminum IEM cases that they have, but I've been very close to buying some of their other equipment on multiple occasions, but they finally got me with the TA-22. It just seemed like it had everything that I was looking for at the price that I was willing to spend to dabble in tubes. It will be a while till I get the unit, but hopefully, you can find something that suits your interests. report back if you make a choice.

Mar 2, 2023 at 10:03 PM Post #10 of 21
What headphones are you using? Some tube dacs (OTL) respond better to particular impedance headphones. Others can play with anything, but may have less of the lush 'tube-ness' of some OTL models.

Mar 3, 2023 at 1:39 AM Post #11 of 21
What headphones are you using? Some tube dacs (OTL) respond better to particular impedance headphones. Others can play with anything, but may have less of the lush 'tube-ness' of some OTL models.
Based on the OP’s sig, it looks like they’re running Grados and DT990 Pro. As for me, I need a hybrid setup because of my planar’s and the th900’s have a low impedance.

Mar 22, 2024 at 2:25 PM Post #12 of 21
Hey there, sorry but i don't want to open a new thread for this cause i'm nearly searching for the same and saw that the TA-22 already got mentioned :)

I currently run my TH900mk2's on a HPa4BL through the BL XLR4 output and plan to buy an AtriumOpen by the end of the year.
Thats why i'm already looking for an AiO solution to run through my PC via USB with XLR Balanced output and tubes like the xDuoo TA-22 as an Amp/Dac combo so i can run both Headphones with 1 Amp/Dac.

Is there anything else in it's price range (+-100€) with the same connectivity and features?

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2024 at 10:02 PM Post #13 of 21
Hey there, sorry but i don't want to open a new thread for this cause i'm nearly searching for the same and saw that the TA-22 already got mentioned :)

I currently run my TH900mk2's on a HPa4BL through the BL XLR4 output and plan to buy an AtriumOpen by the end of the year.
Thats why i'm already looking for an AiO solution to run through my PC via USB with XLR Balanced output and tubes like the xDuoo TA-22 as an Amp/Dac combo so i can run both Headphones with 1 Amp/Dac.

Is there anything else in its price range (+-100€) with the same connectivity and features?
Nothing really jumps out at me, but if you want to go cheaper, I think there might be a TA-22 in the classified section. I like my unit, but I just wish the the noise floor was lower so that I could use IEMs with it. But that aside, it’s a solid choice. It’s a fun sound that is a bit smooth, moderate detail and mellows, just slightly, the treble peak of the Th900.
It’s not the end of the road, but it can be a solid step along the way.

Mar 25, 2024 at 10:24 PM Post #15 of 21
Then the TA-22 it is :)
Is the noise floor noticable on IEMs only?
Yes, I found that it was only with IEMs that I noticed the hum of a slightly higher noise floor. I think I noticed it with Sony IER-Z1R, UM MEST Mk I, and 64 Audio U12t.
I also found that the noise level was lower on the balanced output than it was on the 6.35mm single ended out put.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back