Help me choose IEMs, 100-150$ or a bit more, bass-head-ophile
Apr 14, 2018 at 1:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Aeson

New Head-Fier
Help me narrow down an IEM in this price range or maaaaybe up to 200$ that has punch and is capable of producing big amounts of full-bodied, and LOW, but clean subbass (acheived either with or without eq-ing), with the model also having audiophile-esque qualities such as bigger soundstage and a well defined rest of the spectrum (I'm craving for some nice highs), but not sounding overly lifeless or clinical?

Models considered as follows, but please suggest others:

RHA T20
iBasso IT01
Momentum In-ear
Dunu Titan 5
I don't want the Atrio MG7 because I intend some heavy use[/COLOR]

I listen to a lot of "computer" music ranging from mellowly exalting psybient, to ferocious but technical newer school drum and bass. I could be found enjoying some live stuff and audiophile-tingling sound in general, fx, etc. Amateurish music production is also something I dabble in, so some transparency and definition won't hurt at all.

What I'm looking for:

- sub BBBBAYSSS, low-reaching, full, with enough quantity to produce that satisfying ear canal thunder-massage-warmth-pressure. (note: I'm usually eq-happy and an IEM that is capable of that with a little eq help suits me fine, I care about the result) aaand with well discernible individual notes and movement
- high energy to kicks and snares along with bite and clarity in the higher region (in other words decent but not overpowering midbass and nice presence to the mid-highs)
- good instrument separation for more observational listening
- that very upper high frequency presence (10khz-18khz), would be nice to achieve without molesting the eq with a gazillion +db spike
- at least some size to the soundstage, which i can't say i've really experienced and am interested in to the point i'm making it a requirement

To conclude I think I want something with a U-ish shape signature, or eq-able to reach that (did I mention, big ol' sub B-B-BASS) AND is at the same time decently serviceable for semi-critical listening while still remaining full and pleasant. Does such a thing even exist in this price range? Might cough up a bit more $ if some product is really extraordinary. Go go go!

... and thanks :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #2 of 7
Or am I overthinking it and any of these models will blow what I'm on right now (a cheapie ~20$ Pioneer se-cl711 that I consider godlike for what it is) right out of the freakin water

Apr 14, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #3 of 7
In all likelihood, those you are considering will best your Pioneer, but whether they blow the Pioneer out of the water is going to depend on multiple factors. Is the RHA going to have enough of a u shape for you? Is the IT01, which is strongly v-shaped, going to have enough bass for you? And so on and so forth.

I would say the IT01, of those you list, has perhaps the best overall detail and harmonic complexity. Instrument separation and stage are also very, very good. But the problem is that the bass is not basshead level. It is very good, just not to the level of a basshead IEM. Because of this, and similar observations about the Momentum (have not heard the Titan 5--sorry), I think you are going to be overall best off with the T20i. Great bass. Adequate detail. Good stage. Good instrument separation. A Nice overall package that is I think the best of those you list, IMO. So, there you have it. This is all just my take and as always YMMV, of course.

Apr 15, 2018 at 12:00 AM Post #4 of 7
Hey thanks serman. The RHA's bottom sub bass accent seems to be leaning towards what I enjoy. And I... sigh... could sacrifice a little sheer volume of bass to have the quality. I'm ok with little variations in tuning, I'm just lookin for something that has the raw capability to rattle heads when requested along with the other audio qualities. Would you say the iBasso reached those lowest of low frequencies, just without much sheer force, or it seemed it wasn't its strong point. Cause overall the offer sounds pretty good

BTW anyone with measurements for the IT01?

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2018 at 12:28 AM Post #5 of 7
Hey thanks serman. The RHA's bottom sub bass accent seems to be leaning towards what I enjoy. And I... sigh... could sacrifice a little sheer volume of bass to have the quality. I'm ok with little variations in tuning, I'm just lookin for something that has the raw capability to rattle heads when requested along with the other audio qualities. Would you say the iBasso reached those lowest of low frequencies, just without much sheer force, or it seemed it wasn't its strong point. Cause overall the offer sounds pretty good

BTW anyone with measurements for the IT01?
I would say the IT01 does have good extension, it just doesn't have the degree of slam the T20 has, in my opinion. That is not to say the IT01 bass is insubstantial--it's not (quadruple negative---)). I really like the IT01 bass, personally, it's solid, and I am a bit of a bassophile, just not a true basshead. It is definitely v-shaped and the bass is emphasized. I am just not sure it will be enough for you.

Apr 15, 2018 at 7:46 AM Post #6 of 7
Hi Aeson,

Echo Serman005 on the IT 01's bass though I will add it leans towards more what I personally & subjectively call good bass response, perhaps this is due to having well tuned components like the graphene driver & dual hemholtz (basically mini subs) with good synergy but I'm not an Audio Spec but I do know good sound when I hear it.

I will also quanitfy I am not a bass head but I appreciate good bass response so you can't really go wrong with IT 01, especially if quality is important.

Also helps if your source is good too.

Apr 15, 2018 at 3:20 PM Post #7 of 7
Thanks Pagan and not not not not serman again, this is a helpful clarification, seems like IT01's are a bit ahead if it's true that they are even better in other areas, straight quantity of bass can always be helped with. I don't intend to push them to ludicrous levels, it's just that these freakin Pioneers I accidentally got are so surprisingly generous in that area I wanted to make sure about the presence and depth of subbass more so than "slap". Pagan would you say this perceived better-ness of bass was it being more full, or due to a better mid- and subbass synergy (also desirable)?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back