Help me choose another "earphone" to replace my ailing Westone UM2's
Mar 29, 2011 at 12:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

AVInstaller

New Head-Fier
I am trying to find the right earphone to replace my westone UM2's that have the common failing left channel (scratchy, cutting in and out).  Ironically, these UM2's were doing this from day one, and I sent them in for repair, only to be told there was nothing wrong with them.
I am looking for something with powerful bass that is not overbloated (monster turbine pro gold, IE8's, Westone 3 or 4's, Hippo VB) etc etc
I listen to a wide variety of music, including pop, techno (BT), and some classic Rush/Zep/Floyd......usually on cell phone with 320kbps MP3's, but would not make a selection based solely on that info....also may try a headphone amp if that helps.....$400ish plus or minus budget, but would like to try custom molds before I die too.
I do love the way the UM2's fit, and never fall/pull out, something I may be afraid of with the Monster turbine design
Anyone have any recommendations/suggestions/

Mar 29, 2011 at 2:04 AM Post #2 of 8
I am trying to find the right earphone to replace my westone UM2's that have the common failing left channel (scratchy, cutting in and out).  Ironically, these UM2's were doing this from day one, and I sent them in for repair, only to be told there was nothing wrong with them.
I am looking for something with powerful bass that is not overbloated (monster turbine pro gold, IE8's, Westone 3 or 4's, Hippo VB) etc etc
I listen to a wide variety of music, including pop, techno (BT), and some classic Rush/Zep/Floyd......usually on cell phone with 320kbps MP3's, but would not make a selection based solely on that info....also may try a headphone amp if that helps.....$400ish plus or minus budget, but would like to try custom molds before I die too.
I do love the way the UM2's fit, and never fall/pull out, something I may be afraid of with the Monster turbine design
Anyone have any recommendations/suggestions/

I recently went to tf10's from um2, and I say I am enjoying the tf10's a little better as they are more of a "fun" sound.

Mar 29, 2011 at 2:15 AM Post #3 of 8
JVC  FX700
or Radius DDMs
tip: there are now 2 DDMs available, one called W#1 and another W#2
some more info found in ijokerl thread
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/545647/review-radius-hp-twf21-aka-w-n-2#post_7355911

Mar 29, 2011 at 5:35 AM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
JVC  FX700
or Radius DDMs
tip: there are now 2 DDMs available, one called W#1 and another W#2
some more info found in ijokerl thread
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/545647/review-radius-hp-twf21-aka-w-n-2#post_7355911

Thanks yello....The sound from both of those examples appear to be very good, but I am wondering if the DDM-2 can be worn "over the ear" or if the cables must hang down....the newer design make them look like the cables need to hang down....I know that the driver style vs. armature transducer style generally do not have as much (isolation) from backround noise, but that is also high on my list as a preference.....I have always been able to get great sound isolation with the right Comply tips and the UM2's, and I hope to have that as well with my new selection
Thank you very much for your suggestions 

Mar 30, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #7 of 8
I had the UM2s and just got the W4s. Good similarity, great upgrade. My music preferences are Techno and Rap. Both do well with W4s, and bass is better on 4s than on UM2s.

Mar 30, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #8 of 8
I'd suggest the UM3X. I like a good amount of bass in my IEM. Upgrading from a bass boosted IEM, the TF10, I thought the UM3X would be shy in this department. I was pleasantly surprised to find a cleaner and lower reaching bass in the UM3X compared to the TF10 although a tiny hair less quantity. (think cleaner punchier kickdrum vs a loose one). The Westone 3 does have a stronger emphasis on bass and treble but some people have had fit issues due to the shorter nozzle and also sibilance issues with the treble.

other reasons for UM3X recommendation:
Exactly the same body as the UM2 that you liked the fit of.
available in removable cable or permanent cable.
very good instrument separation. (music sounds like it's layered. I like to follow instruments as I listen and these let me do so).
Ability to fit a UM56 (custom earpiece from Westone) later down the road if you want that custom fit.
There's more but I won't go into too much detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back