Help me choose active/sleep IEM's
Mar 15, 2011 at 4:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

seanmo

100+ Head-Fier
I need some help...I'm frozen and can't decide :wink:
My main set of IEM's are monster miles davis tribs, which I love, but they are not good active IEM's and since they are a bit spendy, I want to be careful with them
I also have RE0's, M1's and monster turbine refurbs...have owned w3, eterna, hje900, m2, nuforce 700m, sm2

source will be a j3 or rockobox'd clip+, mostly flac and 320 mp3

I want a set of IEM's that I can use while doing yard work, gym, cooking,walking the dog, and occasionally taking naps.

I'm looking at
Westone 1 from earphonesolutions
Mee m6
pl50
Mee a151
possibly PFE 112
maybe se215

Sound sig isn't overly important to me on this pair, but cable, build quality and warranty are.  I might actually like to have a totally different signature to the MD's

I've had westone 3's before and loved their build/fit and especially the cable...LOVE the cable.  I could sleep on my side with W3's

I seem to be especially sensitive to microphonics so cable noise is very important to me.

I'm really leaning towareds the westone 1 right now for the build/fit/cable and the different sound sig from my dynamic IEM's
is the sound quality decent?  I'm not expecting miracles and I've read jokers review

m6 would seem to be the very cheap option

se215 might be a good idea, but sound would be similar to my turbines and MD's I think

pl50, not sure...is the cable ok?
any help greatly appreciated

and if anyone has a pair of westone 1's they want to sell, let me know

Mar 16, 2011 at 6:43 AM Post #2 of 17
You might be surprised at how good the PFE 112's sound. If you sleep on your side you might not even realize you have them on. JMO.

Mar 16, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #3 of 17
yeah I'm tempted by those, but they're getting a little spendy and past the 'don't worry about them' price
and not sure about the fit in the ear with the pfe's, the westone's and shure's seem like a more comfortable shape for sleeping

you have the pfe's?  have you listened to pl50's or westone 1's?

thanks for the reply

Mar 16, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #4 of 17
I use UM2's & PFE 112's, and I'm waiting on a pair of W3's (as you know).  :)   The 112's are incredibly comfortable. I know they might not look that way, but they are. I haven't heard the Soundmagic's. From what I've read about them, they're supposedly comfortable and good sounding. since you shopping (mostly) for comfort, you won't make a mistake whichever you buy. You should do a little homework on the 112's. I think they sound great, but don't take my opinion. I'm sure you'll make out fine.

Mar 16, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #5 of 17
rob,  perfect...someone who can compare it to a westone :)
how does the pfe cord compare to the westone?  microphonics?
is the pfe actually as comfortable as the westone in the ear?  and I should say I loved the comfort and fit of the w3

I'm leaning towards the w1 or se215 right now but the pfe is intriguing 

Mar 16, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #8 of 17

Quote:
The PFEs are definitely the most comfortable earphone I've ever used.  Definitely don't sell em short.  

I 100% agree with that. I got the Phonak Perfect Bass Earphone and they are the most comfortable earphones i've ever used in my life. I wish every earphone was this comfortable.

Mar 16, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #9 of 17
do the pfe's take the shure/westone sized tips or regular sized tips?
I like the shure olives a lot

Mar 16, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #10 of 17
Sean, I'll get back to you on how the tips fit, I need to take a look (maybe get out my vernier calipers). :)  - I'll re-edit this post, or maybe someone else will chime in.

As far as comfort, The most comfortable Westone I've worn - was my first, the UM1's. They're sonically not very good for an experienced ear, but they are comfortable. I sold them In favor of the UM2's. Less comfortable, but sonically far far better. Don't misunderstand me here; What I mean by comfort is comfort to sleep with in-ear. All the Westone's are essentially comfortable to wear - but not necessarily comfortable enough to fall asleep on ones side, with the iem's in place. I always felt the UM1's were the only model I could do this with. The W3's are better than the UM2's in this way... but still not as good as the UM1's

The PFE 112's are more comfortable than the UM1's, and far better sounding. Just my $0.02.  I have to agree with all the guys who've said the PFE's were the most comfortable they've worn. (I only have experience with the 112). As far as cables go... I think the Westone wires are the best in the business. The Phonak's are thicker and in a single jacket. Microphonics haven't been an issue.

Rob

Mar 16, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #11 of 17
The tips on the PFEs are slightly smaller than other brands.  I know the sony hybrids were a little lose on the nozzle.  It's not a huge difference but enough to make it pretty easy for the hybrids to just slide off.  Luckily the included tips are fantastic, so I don't have a problem.

Mar 16, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #12 of 17
I looked it up, seems like the shure olives will fit the PFE's
I'm actually looking at the perfect bass model, same iem, different filter
I already have two sets of audeo silicone guides and I can order a set of grey filters for $15 and save myself $35 or so

arghhh...I had it reasonably narrowed down to the w1 or se215...now you guys have me seriously considering the Phonak's...head fi is so dangerous :wink:

Mar 16, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:
I already have two sets of audeo silicone guides and I can order a set of grey filters for $15 and save myself $35 or so

arghhh...I had it reasonably narrowed down to the w1 or se215...now you guys have me seriously considering the Phonak's...head fi is so dangerous :wink:

I like the sound of the se215s a bit more than the Phonaks (mostly because they are easier to drive with just a dap), but I had trouble fitting the Shures in my ears.  The PFEs go in no problem and are ridiculously light and comfy.  I've got the Perfect Bass model as well.

Mar 16, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #14 of 17

Quote:

Sorry to throw you a curve, but you might be doing yourself a disservice by not also getting a set of the black filters. I mean, what makes you think the greys (only) would suffice? Something you read? What makes you think you'd agree with some reviewer who wrote of his preference for one over the other? Maybe you'd prefer the other - and you'll never know, unless you get both. How can you trust a stranger's prose unless you know his sources (equipment & material) and his experience level. Maybe he just writes well, knows a few buzzwords, and thinks he knows what he's talking about. Maybe he just likes what he likes, but doesn't know what's accurate.

Lot's of folks who've never heard real music in a real space (might know what they like, and what appeals to them) but it doesn't necessarily mean they know what the notes should sound like. It's very difficult in this age of mostly processed and electronic music - the signature of which is often arbitrary. But, there is a basis for knowing what 'sound' should sound like. And when all else fails... trust your own ears. Keep your options open. The PFE's definitely sound different with the black vs. the grey filters. Want to know which my own preference is for?

Doesn't matter - but you should at least know which your own is for.

Rob

Mar 16, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #15 of 17
Rob, an impassioned response :)
I had just read a few reviews state that the black and green were fairly similar while the grey were a quite different sound...I of course repect your input and opinion...now what's your source equipment and level of experience :wink:

genius idea to have iem's with accesories that actually change the sound...how could any self respecting head-fi'er not try all the filters??? its like selling collectibles to a hoarder

Users who are viewing this thread

Back