Help me buy my first good pair of headphones.
Feb 23, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #31 of 60
Um, you're using a headphone of the HD800's caliber out of an ipod?!  An ipod nano no less!  Hmm, if I may ask what amp did you try with you're HD800?

The only amp I currently use is the Class A Cute Beyond, which works like I expected. But I've plugged the 800 into many things - computers, headphone amps, receivers, iPods of several kinds, iPad, etc. etc. Some of the devices add more hum or noise, and some of them muddy up the highs a bit, but I have very little complaint about iPods, since they sound very close to the Cute Beyond, lacking just a tiny bit of clarity is all.

Feb 23, 2011 at 9:36 PM Post #32 of 60

That's perfect as you can use it's line out function and still have usb access to your ipod touch. 

That looks like a great plug, which saves having to use an Apple video cable or some other such thing. But in spite of the USB connector on it, it seems that you're still getting line out from the iPod, not digital out. Is that correct? I heard somewhere that some headphone amps can pull digital out from an iPod.

Feb 23, 2011 at 9:52 PM Post #33 of 60

Quote:
That looks like a great plug, which saves having to use an Apple video cable or some other such thing. But in spite of the USB connector on it, it seems that you're still getting line out from the iPod, not digital out. Is that correct? I heard somewhere that some headphone amps can pull digital out from an iPod.

As far I can tell only a hand full of amps have that ability.  Utilizing the line out function of the ipod is still better than using its headphone out as the line out allows you to completely bypass the internal amp of the ipod, ensuring clean, undistorted sound.

Feb 23, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #34 of 60
As far I can tell only a hand full of amps have that ability.  Utilizing the line out function of the ipod is still better than using its headphone out as the line out allows you to completely bypass the internal amp of the ipod, ensuring clean, undistorted sound.

I use that line out capability already, but I was looking for a short list of amps that can pull the digital signal instead. Apparently such a list doesn't exist, even here. Maybe there's no demand for that information. I couldn't find it.

Feb 24, 2011 at 4:36 AM Post #35 of 60
Combine a DR. DAC Nano with a Fiio E5 and you can have a killer portable set up, fed with the line out/headphone out. I might be eyeing that combination instead of an E7 which is still a bit bulky...

Feb 24, 2011 at 8:15 AM Post #37 of 60
A capable DAC cleans up the signal and the amplifier (E5) both works as an amplification of the signal and as a volume regulator. That written if you do not feel you need such frills my suggestion is merely what I am considering to add to my DAPs.  

Feb 24, 2011 at 2:02 PM Post #38 of 60

Quote:
A capable DAC cleans up the signal and the amplifier (E5) both works as an amplification of the signal and as a volume regulator. That written if you do not feel you need such frills my suggestion is merely what I am considering to add to my DAPs.  

might look at somthing like that later, but for now i think ill skip it

Feb 24, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #40 of 60
It's really up to you as what works great for one person may not work for you, but if you want a "safe" option, then I suggest going with Audio-Technica's ATH-M50 or Sennheiser's new HD558.  They are both excellent all rounders as they work well with most music genres and are pretty good(moreso the HD558) with gaming as well.

Feb 24, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #41 of 60

Quote:
It's really up to you as what works great for one person may not work for you, but if you want a "safe" option, then I suggest going with Audio-Technica's ATH-M50 or Sennheiser's new HD558.  They are both excellent all rounders as they work well with most music genres and are pretty good(moreso the HD558) with gaming as well.

right on im mostly trying to find out witch brand would be the best and also it seems the hfi-2200 is the same as the 2400 just orange and an impendance of 75 insted of 70 is that correct? 

Feb 24, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #42 of 60

Quote:
right on im mostly trying to find out witch brand would be the best and also it seems the hfi-2200 is the same as the 2400 just orange and an impendance of 75 insted of 70 is that correct? 

Correct.  There is very little difference between them impedance wise.  Ah, the tough task of choosing the right style out of the vast amount of options available.  It's not easy, but one might argue that it's the fun part!
wink_face.gif
  Good luck!

Feb 25, 2011 at 9:03 AM Post #43 of 60

Quote:
Correct.  There is very little difference between them impedance wise.  Ah, the tough task of choosing the right style out of the vast amount of options available.  It's not easy, but one might argue that it's the fun part!
wink_face.gif
  Good luck!

so what exactly dose impedance mean and whats better high or low. and I'm now eather going to buy the 2200 or the 2400 is the difference of 5 noticeable?

Feb 25, 2011 at 9:20 AM Post #44 of 60
Beyerdynamic DT990, DT880, DT770 (32 or 250 ohm)
AKG K701 or K702

are the "best valued" headphones for money.

Feb 25, 2011 at 10:07 AM Post #45 of 60

Quote:
You shouldn't need an amp unless something is wrong with your gear. I have a very inefficient Sennheiser HD-800 headphone, and I can rock my ears off with that and a iPod Nano touch (the tiny little square player with the touchscreen). And the quality of sound between the iPod and a really good amp is negligible.

I don't know what you are smoking, but I'll take some. Being oblivious to fairly recognizable aspects of reality sounds nice.

EDIT: Sorry, that sounds harsh, but I really think you may need to try out some other combos with those 800s!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back