Help! I'm a girl, I know nothing, what headphones should I buy???
May 9, 2010 at 3:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

learoy1

New Head-Fier
Hey all, I need some help, I'm guessing quite a few people here will have a bit if knowledge about headphones, this is why I've just joined this forum, it seems incredibly helpful and knowledgable. I've tried reading up on the forums for advice but i just keep going in circles and no one has commented about my musical tastes.
I've just broke yet another pair so it's time for some brand spankers. Excellent quality 'phones are Important to me and I've had some fairly good ones in the past and I'm going to spend a lot of coin on new ones so if they aren't up to scratch, I'll cry.
I listen to a variety of genres including old skool, ska, reggae and hardcore gothic bangra(joke) but mainly listen to drum n bass so obviously I need proper big deep bass but I want to hear everything crystal clear too. The main ones I have in mind are monster turbines/turbine pro gold, ultimate ears triplefi 10vi and shure se530's but etymotic ER-P4, sienhieser I8 and sony MDR-EX700lp might get a look in. If you have any more to recomend then go for it. So yeah, I don't mind Spunking a bit of cash on quality and it's well justified. Other than amazing sound quality I want external noise blocked out as I get the noisy tube to work everyday, I don't want to be annoying anyone else on the tube with my tunes whatever volume I have it either as that does my head in when all you can hear is some tools crap tinny music after a hard day at work, they need to be comfortable and preferably look good too. If they have a mic to take calls that would be a huge advantage but not totally necessary.
As a guide to what I've had and what I'm looking for (and also advice for anyone looking for phones in a lower price bracket) I have had the epytomic ER6. Loved them, I went through three pairs. The mids and highs were amazing and I heard things I'd never heard in songs before yet Sometimes I had to turn down the hi's as they were a little intense. The bass was seriously lacking on them though. They were tiny(a good thing), comfortable and blocked out(and in) almost all noise. After a lot of searching online I got em pretty cheap IMO too. Etymotics Customer service was amazing. My dog chewed my first pair, they replaced them at cost price! The wire came lose on the jack on the second pair, they replaced them for the cost of postage and changed the jack from straight to 90 degrees at my request no probs., replacement silicone tips were cheap too. My last pair were ultimate ears superfi 5EB(extended bass), a little overpriced IMO, I got em for around £100 after a LOT of bartering which is still well below the RRP. The bass was PROPER wicked, can't fault em for that, I felt the bass in my head as well as hearing it, but compared to the ER6's they lacked sonically everywhere else and like the ER6's the hi end needed turning down. They felt bulky, were uncomfortable hard to get on quick and I felt like they stuck out my ears loads. They fell out regularly(maybe I didn't have the correct size tips but they cost quite a bit to replace). They didn't block out noise and produced external tinnyness at loud volumes.the wire went over my ears too, which Isn't a major problem but personally I don't like. They also broke in my pocket.
I know that was a major rant and if you're still with me thanks but when I'm spending money on headphones that potentially cost far more than the player, I need to make sure they are perfect for ME.
I would reaaly benefit from your advice and I thank you in advance.
user_online.gif
progress.gif

May 10, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #2 of 42
I have only heard the Triple Fi 10, SE530 and ER4P. ER4P is not for you if you want a lot of deep bass. To my ears, the SE530 and Triple Fi 10 will do bass fine but have you also considered the Westone 3 or UM3X? I was much more impressed with the amount of bass those IEMs had compared to the TF10 and SE530. It was quite prominent that it was one of the first things I've noticed when I tried the Westone 3 and UM3X; I honestly wouldn't want anymore than those had to give. They both have fuller and deeper bass than the SE530 and TF10 to my ears so you may want to consider those as well. TF10 was the most uncomfortable IEM I have used, and SE530,Westone 3, UM3X are the most comfortable ones I have used and don't notice them in over time. They isolate extremely well with the shure black foam tips but IE8 and EX700LP, from what I've read, does not isolate as well as the Shure and Westones.You mention you don't like wires over your ears and the TF10,SE530,Westone 3 and UM3X are all over the ear so I'm not sure what other direction you would go other than for the Monster Turbines.

May 10, 2010 at 7:17 PM Post #3 of 42
Well, the best way is to experiment. If you have the money, you could buy some from Amazon try them and return them later if you don't like them. Also the For Sale/Trade thread is an excellent way to find amazing deals from friendly, informative and *normally* (I was scammed on my first transaction) users. http://www.head-fi.org/forum/list/10 I hope you find a pair you like!

But for a general idea, you should check out the major IEM threads:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/476315/top-tier-universal-iem-comparison-chart-frequency-response-charts-discussion-first-post-updated-often

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/478568/multi-iem-review-63-iems-compared-yuin-ok1-added-05-03

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/386477/review-westone-3-the-ultimate-universal-iem-vs-everything-else-aka-w3-appreciation-thread

Generally, the choices in your range are the following:

Audio-Technica CK100
Audio-Technica CK10
Sennheiser IE8
*Shure SE530
Westone 3
Ultimate Ears Triplefi 10
*Klipsch Custom 3
Klipsch Image X10
*Sleek SA6
Jays Q-Jays
Ortofons EQ7
Monster Turbine Pro Gold
Monster Turbine Pro Copper
EarSonics SM3
JVC FX500
JVC FX700
(Worth mentioning: Head-Direct RE0)

*New updates are coming soon

Audio-Technica CK100                        
Sennheiser IE8
Shure SE530
Westone 3
Head-Direct RE0
Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro
Klipsch Image X10
Sleek SA6-SA7
Ortofons EQ-7
Klipsch Custom 3Audio-Technica CK100                        
Sennheiser IE8
Shure SE530
Westone 3
Head-Direct RE0
Klipsch Image X10
Sleek SA6-SA7
Ortofons EQ-7
Sennheiser IE8
Shure SE530
Westone 3
Head-Direct RE0
Klipsch Image X10
Sleek SA6-SA7
Ortofons EQ-7
Sennheiser IE8
Shure SE530
Westone 3
Head-Direct RE0
Klipsch Image X10
Sleek SA6-SA7
Ortofons EQ-7
Klipsch Custom 3

Audio-Technica CK100                        
Sennheiser IE8
Shure SE530
Westone 3
Head-Direct RE0
Klipsch Image X10
Sleek SA6-SA7
Ortofons EQ-7
Klipsch Custom 3

Audio-Technica CK100                        
Sennheiser IE8
Shure SE530
Westone 3
Head-Direct RE0
Klipsch Image X10
Sleek SA6-SA7
Ortofons EQ-7
Klipsch Custom 3

May 10, 2010 at 7:28 PM Post #4 of 42
OK so you want deep bass but good clarity as well. I think you are going to have to make some kind of compromise depending on what kind of bass you like. The ER6i do not offer good bass impact but has decent extension from memory. Do you want something similar to that but better or do you want something with much more bass impact?

If you want something similar to the sound of the ER6i but better I would look at an Audio Technica CK10. If you want more bass impact but at the cost of some highs but still relatively good I would look into the MTP Golds maybe. It does look like you want something similar to the ER6i sound however. The CK10 is small and the drivers come close to the size of the ER6i but a bit bigger and better imo since it was difficult to take the ER6i without pulling the wires. The build quality of the CK10 is miles ahead of the ER6i as well as most earphones. Isolation is also fairly good with triple flanges or sony hybrids but better with the triple flanges.

May 10, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #5 of 42
It sounds like you'd appreciate a good amount of bass, but clarity as well - and build quality seems important. If so, I'd say go for something like the Audio Technica CK10 or CK90 Pro (CK90 Pro perhaps because you find the Super.FI 5 EB and Etymotics a bit shrill.) The Audio Technica earphones are generally built very well, and both these models are fairly small and discrete. I've got the CK90 Pro myself, and they have serious amounts of bass - though out of the box they do sound a little blunted unless you fiddle with the foam inside.

May 10, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #6 of 42
If you like bass with quality, look at the Ortofon E-Q7, MTP Golds, and Sennheiser IE8. I doubt you'll be disappointed with any of them.

May 10, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #7 of 42
Perhaps you should add Monster Miles Davis and Monster Turbine Copper Pro to your list. And there's also things like FX-700, DBA-02 and the new earsonics SM3. Read the top tier thread, then if there's something that caught your eye, you can look more into that particular IEM. I do agree with rawrster, something like CK-10 or the CK-100 will be similar in sound signature to the Etymotic. The SM3 is also said to be extremely good.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/485632/earsonics-sm3-appreciation-discussion-review-thread-aka-the-most-affordable-high-priced-universal-iem/0

May 10, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #9 of 42
I can vote for the Ortofon E-Q7. Good bass but not offensive and excellent over all. how ever some have fitting issue with it and I find it hard to insert(small ear canal i guess?)

May 11, 2010 at 3:15 AM Post #15 of 42

Quote:

Generally, the choices in your range are the following:

Audio-Technica CK100
Audio-Technica CK10
Sennheiser IE8
*Shure SE530
Westone 3
Ultimate Ears Triplefi 10
*Klipsch Custom 3
Klipsch Image X10
*Sleek SA6
Jays Q-Jays
Ortofons EQ7
(Worth mentioning: Head-Direct RE0)

*New updates are coming soon

Audio-Technica CK100                        
Sennheiser IE8
Shure SE530
Westone 3
Head-Direct RE0
Klipsch Image X10
Sleek SA6-SA7
Ortofons EQ-7
Sennheiser IE8
Shure SE530
Westone 3
Head-Direct RE0
Klipsch Image X10
Sleek SA6-SA7
Ortofons EQ-7
Sennheiser IE8
Shure SE530
Westone 3
Head-Direct RE0
Klipsch Image X10
Sleek SA6-SA7
Ortofons EQ-7
Sennheiser IE8
Shure SE530
Westone 3
Head-Direct RE0
Klipsch Image X10
Sleek SA6-SA7
Ortofons EQ-7
Klipsch Custom 3

Audio-Technica CK100                        
Sennheiser IE8
Shure SE530
Westone 3
Head-Direct RE0
Klipsch Image X10
Sleek SA6-SA7
Ortofons EQ-7
Klipsch Custom 3

Audio-Technica CK100                        
Sennheiser IE8
Shure SE530
Westone 3
Head-Direct RE0
Klipsch Image X10
Sleek SA6-SA7
Ortofons EQ-7
Klipsch Custom 3

wow... its been a while CK100 are being recommend... since the price tag are a bit high at europe and US

Users who are viewing this thread

Back