Help! I put headphones on and I can't get up!
Feb 12, 2011 at 6:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

V-DiV

100+ Head-Fier
I've been sitting here at my desk listening to my new headphones and newly finished amp.  I started out this morning listening to some great classical recordings, Smetana string quartets, Bax symphonies, with my HD800s through my Bijou OTL tube amp that I built.  Transcendent.  Then I switched to a bit of jazz and some nicely recorded recent James Taylor.  Great.  Beautiful acoustic sounds.  Great Soundstage.  Nice space around the instruments.  I couldn't get up.  But I had to take my son to a sax lesson and a couple of errands.  
 ​
 ​
Got back to the desk pulled out the new SR225i that I got as an impulse.  They were my first headphones I got several years ago after iBuds and ety ER4Ps.  But I sent them right back because too uncomfortable for listening in bed.  Less of a problem sitting at the desk.  Not in the same ballpark with the HD800 in terms of refinement, but the bass drive and electric guitar is really fun on these.  Really like the sound with the Bijou (even though it's not noted for low impedance phones).  Dave Matthews, Hootie & the Blowfish, Creed, Santana, Keb' Mo', Mark Knopfler, Nirvana...  Maybe I should sell the 225i immediately for near new (and the K701 and HD595) and move up the Grado chain?  But what to get, RS2i, RS1i, MSPro???  Or is SR225i the place to be in the Grado line for a contrast to the great HD800?  Robin Trower, Led Zeppelin, Metallica, Sade, Third World...  Can't get up.  Wife says get up!  We have to get ready to go out with friends.

Someone help!

Feb 12, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #2 of 10
Good sound does that to you. Some people listen to music while they work, but I find it hard to write homework when my mental resources are attuned to my music. Join the club...of people whose rears are glued to their listening chairs.

Feb 12, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #3 of 10
I don't like to work without music, but it's got to be instrumental, no words to make me think about, and not too high energy.  I mostly listen to classical and instrumental jazz while working.  Luckily for me, I get to spend a lot of time alone at my desk.  Not with my best gear though.

Stevie Ray Vaughan...

Feb 12, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #7 of 10
Feb 12, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #9 of 10
I'm pretty sure headphones aren't the fixation here. It's great music that's paralysed him. The materialism that plagues this hobby is a huge pitfall that many fall into. The fortunate ones that find great synergy in their setup though will be quickly reminded of the reason they started down this path in the first place. Sometimes, it's such a revelation that you lose the will to address other needs. Great music in all it's glory is untouchable. :atsmile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back