Help! Headphones Up to $20
Nov 29, 2017 at 7:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Twerp289

New Head-Fier
I am looking to get new, good headphones. I ordered the Kingstar Sports Bluetooth Headphones S5 from Amazon, a few months ago. They work okay. The sound is pretty decent for songs with singers, but it sucks when listening to instrumental music (like symphony, guitar, piano, new age, etc.) Basically, the base and background noise aren't very clear.

I want to order soon! :)

Budget: Up to $20
Sound: Good quality sound (Good for piano, guitar, symphony, and songs with singers)
Weight: Not heavy!
Style: In-ear or Closed, Over-the Ear
Wireless: Yes! I want to use them with my laptop!
*Added bonus if can connect cord to them
Bluetooth: ??? I'm guessing I need it to use the headphones with my laptop?
Color: Doesn't matter

I was originally looking at these on Amazon. I have no idea if they are really good or not. I'm not really sure where to start looking.

I definitely don't want the headphones to break or not work after just a few months.

Nov 29, 2017 at 8:10 PM Post #2 of 15
I'd suggest sticking to IEMs in that price range because most over ear headphones, especially Bluetooth ones, aren't going to be worth the 20 bucks you'd spend. IEMs are also more durable if you take care of them because they don't have a headband that can snap, or padding that can get ripped or worn out. Perhaps a Google search for "Best IEMs under 20 dollars" might turn up a few contenders. I wouldn't obsess about it though, there is a pretty hard cap on sound quality with things at that low a price. As long as you aren't buying 20 dollar ear buds (Apple style buds, not IEMs) then you should be ok.

Nov 29, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #3 of 15
I would not use Bluetooth with a laptop as all the laptops I’ve ever had has had a headphone out. For in ears the KZ ATE is hard to beat for $13 and it is very durable.

Nov 30, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #5 of 15
If you're okay with a semi-open on-ear, the Koss KTXPRO1 is by far the best value I have encountered in the headphone world. It's one of the most comfortable headphones I've worn (far more so than any over-ear, which is ironic since some on-ears are uncomfortable; it doesn't touch my glasses either) and even when I owned four figure headphones, I would still often reach for the KTX. I just wanted to mention this headphone since I doubt any of the others in its price range could come close.

Nov 30, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #6 of 15
Dec 1, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #7 of 15
If you're okay with a semi-open on-ear, the Koss KTXPRO1 is by far the best value I have encountered in the headphone world. It's one of the most comfortable headphones I've worn (far more so than any over-ear, which is ironic since some on-ears are uncomfortable; it doesn't touch my glasses either) and even when I owned four figure headphones, I would still often reach for the KTX. I just wanted to mention this headphone since I doubt any of the others in its price range could come close.
I'm going to pick up a pair of KTXPRO1s on the weekend since there's a deal over here and I've been reading some of your posts on the KTXPRO1 and how you like them over a ton of other headphones.

I'm probably one of the biggest supporters of the KSC75s and my woes with the build quality (I'm on my second or third pair now) and inability to find someone to recable them (at a modest price) have led me to look at other headphones in the Koss line-up like the KTXPRO1 and UR40. I tried the PortaPros, but they lack treble, are a little bit more bassy and I don't like the headband.

Are there any sonic differences between the KTXPRO1 and the KSC75? Are they better or worse?

Dec 1, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #8 of 15
I'm going to pick up a pair of KTXPRO1s on the weekend since there's a deal over here and I've been reading some of your posts on the KTXPRO1 and how you like them over a ton of other headphones.

I'm probably one of the biggest supporters of the KSC75s and my woes with the build quality (I'm on my second or third pair now) and inability to find someone to recable them (at a modest price) have led me to look at other headphones in the Koss line-up like the KTXPRO1 and UR40. I tried the PortaPros, but they lack treble, are a little bit more bassy and I don't like the headband.

Are there any sonic differences between the KTXPRO1 and the KSC75? Are they better or worse?

My personal ranking of Koss headphones I have owned would be:

1. ESP950
2. KTXPRO1
3. UR40
4. KSC75
5. UR55
6. Porta Pro

Aside from the sparkly treble and more open soundstage (since it rests away from your ears) of the KSC75, the KTXPRO1 sounds much better to me. Since they have similar or identical drivers, the difference primarily comes from the enclosure.

The KTX scaled noticeably from better electronics, especially the Chord Mojo. (Though it makes no sense to get something so expensive unless you have high-end headphones too.)

Dec 1, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #9 of 15
My personal ranking of Koss headphones I have owned would be:

1. ESP950
2. KTXPRO1
3. UR40
4. KSC75
5. UR55
6. Porta Pro

Aside from the sparkly treble and more open soundstage (since it rests away from your ears) of the KSC75, the KTXPRO1 sounds much better to me. Since they have similar or identical drivers, the difference primarily comes from the enclosure.

The KTX scaled noticeably from better electronics, especially the Chord Mojo. (Though it makes no sense to get something so expensive unless you have high-end headphones too.)
I have a headband-modded KSC75, so it doesn't really rest away from my ears. Good to hear that the KTXPRO1 is better than the UR40s, since they cost about double the KTXPRO1s (at least over here).

When I get the KTXPRO1s over the weekend, I'll write a VS. thread on the KSC75s, PortaPros and KTXPRO1s after I've had some time to review them.

Dec 1, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #10 of 15
I have a headband-modded KSC75, so it doesn't really rest away from my ears. Good to hear that the KTXPRO1 is better than the UR40s, since they cost about double the KTXPRO1s (at least over here).

When I get the KTXPRO1s over the weekend, I'll write a VS. thread on the KSC75s, PortaPros and KTXPRO1s after I've had some time to review them.

That ranking was personal preference only. For example, the UR55 is technically more impressive than other cheap Koss in some ways and is more enveloping due to the larger cups (and presumably drivers too), yet it sounded so closed-in and congested to me, along with having some nasty high frequency peaks and other weird things about the sound, so I had issues with it. The UR40 is "better" than the KTXPRO1 in the sense that it's closer to the sound of a closed-back studio monitor headphone in the $100 range...but there's something magical about the KTX that would be hard to describe without writing an in-depth review that I'm too lazy for. I actually got rid of all my headphones except for three pairs of the KTX...but that's mainly because I only use speakers at the moment.

Dec 1, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #11 of 15
...but there's something magical about the KTX that would be hard to describe without writing an in-depth review that I'm too lazy for.
I feel the same way about the KSC75s! There's something magical about them.

Yeah, I understand that your list is based on your preferences only.

Dec 1, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #12 of 15
I feel the same way about the KSC75s! There's something magical about them.

The KSC is more light and springy whereas the KTX is much more dynamic, with physical presence/impact, a gorgeous tone, and better resolution in the mids and bass. (At least that's my take.)

One thing that bugs me about the KTX is that I have to push it against my ears to get the best sound and impact. This may just be due to the fact that I am on the smaller side and I don't get the best seal without doing that. Others with larger heads have commented that they felt it was too small and clamped too hard, so as with many things, it's subjective. Another downside is the cheap construction, so it loses clamping force over time. I took a photo of an old and new pair, and wow...there is some distance there. But at least Koss comes with a lifetime warranty.

(Side note: Pushing the KSC closer to my ears barely changed the sound.)

Dec 1, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #13 of 15
The KSC is more light and springy whereas the KTX is much more dynamic, with physical presence/impact, a gorgeous tone, and better resolution in the mids and bass. (At least that's my take.)
How are the KTX for the highs? I think that's what I like most about the KSC75s. Even though some might complain about the artificial-ness of the KSC75's treble, I like it for what it is and has just the right amount of bass. PortaPros lack the highs of the KSC75s, and I hope that isn't the case with the KTX.

Dec 1, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #14 of 15
How are the KTX for the highs? I think that's what I like most about the KSC75s. Even though some might complain about the artificial-ness of the KSC75's treble, I like it for what it is and has just the right amount of bass. PortaPros lack the highs of the KSC75s, and I hope that isn't the case with the KTX.

I think it's a good balance between the two. It sounds the most real to me. But the OP might not be interested in these, so we could be getting off-topic here.

Dec 1, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #15 of 15
For your requirements I'd suggest a KZ IEM ...I just got a ZS5, and ES3 and a ZS3 ....using coupon codes from the Gearbest thread I got them for $13, $10 and $7.99 respectively. (the ZS3 I just bought on sale, but they had a coupon at one point for $4 or something)
Here's everything you could possibly want to know about KZs in one thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/knowledge-zenith-kz-impressions-thread.698148/page-1724
I recommend starting at the end of the thread and working backwards ...if you start at the beginning you have to wade through hundreds of PAGES before you even get to the point that the ZS5 was released.

and here's the Gearbest thread for those coupons:https: //www.head-fi.org/threads/12-1st-4th-jbl-t120a-13-99-xiaomi-pro-19-99-mi-iv-9-99-meizu-ep51-17-99-ts-bt35a08-hifi-1-99-kz-zs6-19-99-zs5-12-99-superlux-hd681-13-99-zst-10-09-bluedio-te-9-99.832367/page-59#post-13887279

Users who are viewing this thread

Back