Help! Headphone setup too loud
Aug 15, 2010 at 2:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

tuck567

New Head-Fier
I fell in love with my grado 225i. Decided to take a huge upgrade. Got a RS1i, a RA1, and a nice lineout for my gen 4 ipod. Burned them in and sat down for a listening session (jazz, rock) friday. Woke up to ear ringing sat and it continued today.

My problem is I don't think I can turn the amp up enough to drive both channels without it feeling too loud. Is there anyway to reduce gain? I don't want to risk permanent ear damage, and thinking I need to just return them. I was blown away by the sound of my setup and would rather not abandon it. Thanks.

Aug 15, 2010 at 2:30 PM Post #2 of 7
So what you're saying is that the ra1 amp gets too loud when the volume knob is still overcoming channel imbalance issues?

And you are using an LOD with your ipod.

If your source was computer, you could cut your output volume by half.

With the ipod line out, i think you're kinda stuck.

Aug 15, 2010 at 2:33 PM Post #3 of 7
 Check if the IC's are inserted properly (L = white R = red). check amp gain, dac input, and any other things that can disrupt line level signal. When you burned them, did you make sure the volume wasn't fully maxed? This may have damaged a part of the driver

grado's are generally meant to be loud and bright. It's not really your fault if you can't get this problem resolved. Different amping can help as well.

Aug 15, 2010 at 2:34 PM Post #4 of 7
Grado manufactures both a high and low gain incarnation of the RA1, are you sure you got the low gain?  RS1s (like all full-size Grados) are 32 ohm impedance, so you don't need a ton of juice to push them.  There are also plenty of options for headphone amps at that price range, many of which will pair very well with your RS1s.  If you find that the RA1 amp has too high gain to quickly, try something like the Matrix M-stage or Scherzo Andante.

Aug 15, 2010 at 2:53 PM Post #5 of 7
Got the standard low gain and burned in at a reasonable volume. It's just too loud, even at the minimum volume to fill both channels. Any creative solutions to reduce volume without spending alot? I want to experiment without spending alot more money. Thanks for the quick replies thus far.

Aug 15, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
Got the standard low gain and burned in at a reasonable volume. It's just too loud, even at the minimum volume to fill both channels. Any creative solutions to reduce volume without spending alot? I want to experiment without spending alot more money. Thanks for the quick replies thus far.

Just plug them directly into the ipod.

Aug 15, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #7 of 7
I suggest returning the RA1 for a refund since it does not work to your liking in your setup. Look at some other portable amps in the price range as others have suggested. You won't be disappointed.

Head-Fi portable amps forum: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/list/105

I've read many good things about the volume control on the Pico Slim. Or you could also commission custom building a high performance low-gain Mini³ amp from MisterX. A gain of 2 should work well for Grados.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back