Help for a Newbie to the Site
Jul 7, 2011 at 9:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Jay1403

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys,

I'm in the UK and my current system consists of the following:

Main System - Roksan Caspian M1 Pre / Power Amp, Caspian M1 CDP, Rega Planar 3 TT, Musical Fidelity X-CAN V2 with Grado SR80i headphones.

Portable System - iPod 60gb with Sennnheisser CX300II's

Samsung Laptop with iTunes and Spotify

So here's my question if anyone can help.

I am looking for a second pair of headphones, closed back and ideally ones that do not leak sound...as these will be used with both my ipod and laptop around other people.

Can anyone suggest a good pair of headphones similar in sound to the Grado's but which do not leak noise like a sieve??

I am also looking at adding a Firestone Fubar MkIII DAC/HP Amp to my laptop...which probably become my main source of music for the office and bedroom. this may actually sit between the Laptop and X-CAN for improved sound from the headphones.

Also and finally...I am looking to improve the sound of my iPod with the addition of a portable amp...Suggestions welcome

The new headphones will be used alongside the Grado's and on all the music equipment mentioned.

Musical tastes are varied.....but a lot of female vocal, accoustic, indie and rock

Cheers
Jay

Jul 7, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #2 of 12
Okay, before any suggestions are made, how about a budget range for your headphone and amp purchases.

Jul 7, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #3 of 12
Needed:

Price range
Uses
Music choices
Must haves
Ideas of cans you might like

Jul 7, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #4 of 12
I have not heard them so take my advice with a ton of salt, Sennheiser HD 25-1 II
I think those are worth researching.

Also, I know someone in the future will recommend m50, these will not satisfy you and I recommend against them, they are not good for vocals, and do not sound like grado's.

Jul 7, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #5 of 12
shure 440's, take that with a grain of salt too, just trying to help. They supposedly sound fairly grado'ish... And theyre only 60 quid from ebay. Also for an amp, a fiio E11 or Cmoy, i have a great lightly used cmoy for sale, doesnt get any use, as my AKG K518 DJ's dont need it. Would let it got for 40 quid (shipping included). Good luck

Jul 20, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #6 of 12
Sorry about the late reply to the questions, but I have been away on business.

CRiteria has changed slightly now as the new set of headphones are likely to be used with a MF X-Can V2 with my Caspian M1 Pre / Power / CD and Rega Planar 3 TT setup as well as with a Fubar IV Plus which will be used with both a laptop and also an Ipod and digital dock.

Musical tastes are very varied....everything from Eva Cassidy through to Linkin Park. Only thing I dont listen to is Classical.

As I said Essential criteria is they must be closed back as they will be used in close proximity to other people.

Price wise I really am open on this....I am currently looking at the Denon AH-D2000 which I can get for £200.00 through to the AH-D7000 which I can get for £600.00. However for the price of a small all in one system they would have to be pretty bloody good.

Jul 20, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #7 of 12
The D2000 are an exceptional all-rounder(from what I've read) and are a great place to start.  Here are some additional options for ya:

AKG K701/2

Beyerdynamic DT 880, DT990

Sennheiser HD598, HD600

Shure SRH940

Ultrasone HFi-780, PRO900

Jul 20, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #8 of 12
I'm in the UK and i've got the D7000's on order, should get tomorrow hopefully, i'll let ya know what they're like.

I was looking into amps and the FiiO E7 DAC/Amp looks just the ticket for me.

Jul 22, 2011 at 7:34 AM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
I'm in the UK and i've got the D7000's on order, should get tomorrow hopefully, i'll let ya know what they're like.

I was looking into amps and the FiiO E7 DAC/Amp looks just the ticket for me.

Cheers ilikepooters,

Look forward to hearing what you think about the D7000's

Ive heard that these are a substantial step up from the D5000's and that the D5000's, for the money, don't actually offer that much more over the D2000's soundwise....can anyone substantiate / comment on this.

I think I am really taken with the Denon's just not sure if I can justify what is anywhere between £600 - £900 outlay for a pair of headphones.

Jul 22, 2011 at 10:58 AM Post #11 of 12

Quote:

Hmm interesting article...so it states that the D5000 are a slight improvement on the D2000 and the D7000 are a slight improvement over the D5000......However If we are talking slight improvement.....I would have to say is a slight improvement worth an extra £700 which is the price difference between the D2000 and D7000. Personally for nearly £900 I would expect a huge improvement!!!

To my mind it would seem that the better option would be to opt for the D2000 in the first instance (which I can get for approx £200). I am sure these will be an upgrade over the Grado SR80i and to all intents and purposes mean I can hold on to the Grado's as well. 

Thanks for the link Albedo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back