Help Fixing TRS connector
Jul 5, 2011 at 1:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

clickhere

New Head-Fier
I bent the TRS connector by tripping on the cable and it's bent and can't be bent back. (i've tried)

I have the ATH AD700 and I'm getting a nice receiver in a few days which has a 1/4" jack.  I'm looking to cut the cable I guess and put on a new TRC connector.

My fear is that I have no idea what I'm doing.  My soldering expertise included about 1 unit in 12 grade. Fortunately I have about 9 feet to work with and I only need 4 so I could have a lot of tries. 
wink_face.gif
But I'd like to knock it out on the first try.

Anyone ever done this before with headphones like this?  Anything I should watch out for? Pay attention to something special?  Tutorials?

I did a bit of searching and I'm looking at ordering this: http://www.amazon.com/Neutrik-NP3X-B-Plug-Stereo-Black/dp/B002BESDAM/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1309842696&sr=1-7

Is that what I want? Or do I need something else.

Thanks!

Jul 5, 2011 at 4:45 AM Post #2 of 7
Hi!  Looks like you get to have tons of fun!

As long as you have solder (preferably Cardas), soldering iron, wire stripper (highly recommended but not exactly necessary) then you should be fine.  Might need a multimeter to test which wire is which too.

Check out the layout of the TRS connector to know which channel is which.

Have fun soldering!  I used cheap lead solder from home depot and that was hard to work with; Cardas was a breeze! 

Jul 5, 2011 at 4:51 AM Post #3 of 7
Jul 6, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
You need a 3 pole (for stereo). 2 pole is mono.

Oh shoot. I got worried that 3 was for Mic and both sides of stereo last minute and ordered 2  pole...  Should have been patient yesterday when I placed the order and asked here first instead of clarifying now..

Well.. I guess I'll learn from my mistakes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back